Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make a Corrosion Contact Cleaner for autos

Posted May 29, 2015

Under my truck there are a few cables with plugs. One goes to the
transfer case for the 4WD, which controls the lights to indicate it's in
4WD. The contacts are corroded.

In all the years I have worked on autos, there was never any real good
solution. Thin files, a small piece of sandpaper, scraping with a small
pocket knife blade, etc. None of these fixes seems to do a good job, or
last long.

With all the sprays and chemicals they come out with all the time, I'm
wondering if they have come out with some sort of spray cleaner....
Anyone know?????

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 4:21:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Posted May 29, 2015

With all the sprays and chemicals they come out with all the time, I'm
wondering if they have come out with some sort of spray cleaner....
Anyone know?????

Thanks

Cleaner http://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronics.../dp/B004SPJN9W
Sealer http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-PERMA.../dp/B002KR5YN4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:44:57 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A friend of mine loves Caig De-Oxit for cleaning
electrical connections. I've not tried it.

Advance Auto Parts has tubes of dielectric grease,
for when you put the connections back together.
Help keep moisture out and reduce corrosion.

....already covered, but thanks anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 5:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

There are many so called spray cleaners. One of the best is WD40. Deoxit is
preferred by many for electronics. Napa and volkswagen used to stock
Stabilant, a magic contact restorer, mostly alcohol solution. Used to be
called tweek in audio circles. I now usually use CRC 2-26. Non of these
sprays clean any corrosion, without actually rubbing, multiple insertions,
or wiping.

Another contact Type restorer is oleic acid. Caig deoxit used to sell
cramolin product from Germany. Oleic acid was an ingredient. They quit
doing that and now sell the current formula. Oleic acid is in olive oil.
Some take oleic acid and mix with naphtha or alcohol as an application.

One product works at corrosion, that's TarnX. Depends on contact material,
then washed, and protective coat applied, either dielectric grease or maybe
CRC 2-26 .

just like everyone should have some WD 40 , everyone should get some CRC
2-26.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 05:01:56 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 5:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

While some of the suggestions in this thread sound good, I cant see WD40
being of much use. WD40 sells a lot, and it seems very popular, but I
really cant understand why. I suppose it's just good advertising. I have
never found WD40 to be useful for much of anything, except to blast away
grease. As far as I've heard, all it is, is kerosene in an aerosol can.
To loosen rusted bolts, I find PB Blaster far better.

I would think a mild acid would actually remove the corrosion. I've
actually wondered if soaking a connector in lemon juice would remove the
corrosion????????

BTW: Most connectors are brass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 5:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

WD-40 is a penetrating oil and moisture displacer. I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the distributor cap and the car would then start. I've also used WD-40 with a parts brush to clean dirty wet electrical connectors but something more is needed to protect the connector. CRC manufactures some really good products for protecting electrical connections. When I worked out in The Pacific islands, the power utility used CRC SP-400 on the high voltage and low voltage terminals inside the enclosures for pad mounted transformers. CRC also makes a Marine Electronics Grease for protecting electrical connectors and connections. 8-)

http://www.superkleendirect.com/crcs...bitor10oz.aspx

http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=06106

[8~{} Uncle Electrical Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:14:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the distributor cap and the car would then start.

....not too many yrs back, WD used propane to pressurize the can...which could have blown the distributor cap sky high! *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:22:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:14:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the distributor cap and the car would then start.

...not too many yrs back, WD used propane to pressurize the can...which could have blown the distributor cap sky high! *L*

I thought it was butane propellant after Freon which was outlawed because it murdered cute little ozones. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Blast Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:08:07 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:22:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:14:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the distributor cap and the car would then start.

...not too many yrs back, WD used propane to pressurize the can...which could have blown the distributor cap sky high! *L*

I thought it was butane propellant after Freon which was outlawed because it murdered cute little ozones. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Blast Monster

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ched-live-wire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:23:26 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:08:07 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:22:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:14:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the distributor cap and the car would then start.

...not too many yrs back, WD used propane to pressurize the can...which could have blown the distributor cap sky high! *L*

I thought it was butane propellant after Freon which was outlawed because it murdered cute little ozones. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Blast Monster

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ched-live-wire

That story is from 1996. The propellant used in WD-40 now is CO2. I would also question whether a reporter knows the difference between butane and propane. It's like seeing them write about"silicone" calling it"silicon". I'd like to see a gal with silicon breast implants. 8-)

http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40_faqs

[8~{} Uncle Propane Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:41:43 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

If you actually *read* the article it also stated: "Two months ago, WD-40 changed its propellant again -- this time to far safer carbon dioxide -- after California placed new restrictions on releasing volatile compounds into the atmosphere". *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The old MSDS sheet says: "Liquefied Petroleum Gas (propane, n-butane) or Isobutane propellant", so we both could be considered correct, I guess...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:57:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

I still wanna see silicon breast implants. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Silicone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:08:07 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:22:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:14:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
I used to use it to start cars that had a wet distributer. I pop off
the distributor cap wash it out with WD-40, reinstall the
distributor cap and the car would then start.

...not too many yrs back, WD used propane to pressurize the can...which
could have blown the distributor cap sky high! *L*

I thought it was butane propellant after Freon which was outlawed
because it murdered cute little ozones. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Blast Monster

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ched-live-wire

Must be some good current to cut can. I used to use it to flame tent worms
and some weeds. You can still get some flame, but much more difficult.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 5:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

TarnX is acid. I think it says not for brass. It sort of works on brass.
Wonderful on silver and copper.

Greg