Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using a Powerful magnet to remove Nails

I've always wondered if it's possible to use a very powerful magnet to
remove nails from lumber? I'm sure that the magnet would have to be a
really strong electro-magnet, such as the ones they use to lift cars at
auto junkyards.

However, if this is possible, it may not be something that should be
exposed to the public, because it could become a weapon. In other words,
someone drives up to your home, activates the magnet, which removes all
the nails as well as steel plumbing, metal electrical boxes, your
appliances, and so on. This, in a matter of seconds, your home would be
nothing but a pile of lumber, with all your (non-iron) furnishings
buried in the pile, and all your iron metalic furnishings as well as all
the nails from your home, leaving the scene by some crook.....

And, dont forget, your belt buckle is metal. Say goodbye to your
pants!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 1:37:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Don't forget all the gas, water and sewer lines plus rebar in the concrete that you'll yank out of the ground. I imagine vehicles would be pulled your way too. 8-)

If you want to pull nails magnetically, an MRI machine might do the trick but it's big, heavy, expensive to operate and has a limited range. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Magnetic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 2:37:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Here's a source for an electromagnet that lifts 2,000 pounds:

http://www.adamsmagnetic.com/magneti...tromagnets.php

One thing to consider is that magnetic force, like gravity, decreases with the square of the distance, so an electromagnet weapon would have only limited range. Besides the electromagnet, you'd need a generator to power it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2015 15:07:01 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

[...]

Too much X-Men.

A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

Even a junk yard magnet would have trouble at an inch (guessing).
2 inches, 4 times worse.

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.
But considering I can remove a nail with a pry bar, I dont think I'm
applying more than a few hundred pounds of pressure. Yet, if the nail
head is even slightly below the surface of the wood, a lot more power
would be needed.

Which reminds me. If you ever get a tiny metal sliver in your skin, such
as a drill shaving, a strong magnet (such as one from a large speaker),
can and will often remove the sliver. I've done it! Much easier than
trying to use a tweezers and needle to dig it out (especially for old
farts like myself with failing eyesight)!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

[...]

You would need exactly the same amount of force it takes to pull
the nail with a claw hammer.

If you think you'd somehow brace the magnet above the nail and the
nail will fly out, you're forgetting the decreases as the square
of the distance rule.

Still sounds like you're getting your science from X-Men.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might have better luck pulling 'em out with the
tractor beam on the Death Star.

LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2015 16:43:54 -0400, "dadiOH"

[...]

I may have read posts more inane than the above but if so, not in recent
years.

It's how Home Guy rolls. A pattern of his. Nothing new. Move along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2015 19:27:09 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for the link. I thought this was a possibility.
I'm surprised they are not being sold at every hardware store!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 7:53:07 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

--
Bobby G.

I hope you posted that for the laugh of the day, not because it
would actually work. Clearly whoever came up with this idea is
clueless. Many of the claims made and drawings show it. For
example, you have a tool that looks similar to a hand held
driver drill, allegedly pulling nails from tongue and groove
flooring, they claim you can pull framing nails, etc. Even
assuming a handheld device could generate sufficient magnetic
force to hold onto the nails, have you ever tried to pull a
nail with a hammer by just grabbing it with the hammer claw
and pulling, ie without using the hammer for leverage to
remove it? Yet that is what this crap shows, the nails just
being pulled out without leverage. Also note that not a single
bit of physics is stated, ie what magnetic force can reasonably
be generated by such a device versus the force required to
pull the various types of nails claimed. If it really works,
a prototype would be very easy to build, where is it? The
patent office must have gone down the crapper like most of
the rest of govt. Good grief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for the link. I thought this was a possibility.
I'm surprised they are not being sold at every hardware store!

You didn't fall for that, did you? The fact that they aren't
being sold should tell you something. Anyone see even a prototype?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

[...]

In three dimensional space its usually the cube of the distance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:54:35 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

In three dimensional space its usually the cube of the distance.

In the "near field," probably just the distance, not the cube.

We were working on the lawnmower last weekend and dropped one of the bolts in the grass, couldn't find it.

I got my biggest magnet and swept the area, no luck.

So I took one of the bolts I hadn't lost (yet) and threw it down to a known spot, so I could test the magnet. Reached down with the magnet and heard two clicks, sure enough both bolts were stuck to it. FAR better to be lucky than good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for the link. I thought this was a possibility.
I'm surprised they are not being sold at every hardware store!

I'm not surprised because the magnetic power needed to do nail removal
would be in the range of the great particle beam accelerators with huge
magnets that go on for miles. Hard to fit the average particle accelerate
in your tool bag. I imagine that it would cost a awful lot in electricity
alone generate enough magnetic force to yank a nail from a 2 by 4.

Still, it's an interesting thought. When I was 9 I remember asking my Dad's
assembled engineer friends at barbeque why they didn't just put huge heating
coils inside snow plows to just melt the snow. I was *so* disappointed to
discover how much energy that would involve and nothing short of a nuclear
power snow plow could deliver it. Same sort of problem. Way too much
energy required to be practical.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for the link. I thought this was a possibility.
I'm surprised they are not being sold at every hardware store!

There is a BIG difference between a patent and an actual useful device.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

--
Bobby G.

I hope you posted that for the laugh of the day, not because it
would actually work. Clearly whoever came up with this idea is

You may have missed that this is an application, not an
approved patent. Which shines new light on your anti-government
rants - are they always built on such a shakey foundation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 04:22:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote in

wrote:

wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for the link. I thought this was a possibility.
I'm surprised they are not being sold at every hardware store!

You didn't fall for that, did you? The fact that they aren't
being sold should tell you something. Anyone see even a prototype?

Exactly. You can patent just about anything. Being able to build it,
make it work, and withstand a patent challenge is another matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Even a junk yard magnet would have trouble at an inch (guessing).
2 inches, 4 times worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

There's another aspect I haven't seen mentioned. A moving magnetic
field induces a current in metal. A magnetic field powerful enough to
pull a nail might just heat it up enough to burn the wood it's in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

-

I want a transporter like on Star Trek to single out and remove nails or screws. You could prank your friends by transporting their chair out from under them. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Trekie Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

wave vs. particle duality.

or field vs. photon.

photons have a velocity vector (2d), fields have strength(3d)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

wave vs. particle duality.

or field vs. photon.

photons have a velocity vector (2d), fields have strength(3d)

Stormin only believes in God particles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

Because it doesn't.

Visible light does not decrease with the inverse square rule.

Visible light from a point source decreases with the inverse square rule.

Visible light from a line source like a fluorescent tube decreases with a simple inverse, no square involved, rule. Until you get far enough away that a line source appears to be a point.

Visible light from a plane source doesn't decrease at all, until you get far enough away that it appears to be a point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2015 10:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

wave vs. particle duality.

or field vs. photon.

photons have a velocity vector (2d), fields have strength(3d)

Stormin only believes in God particles.

It is written: Thou shalt have no other
particles before me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

Because it doesn't.

Visible light does not decrease with the inverse square rule.

Visible light from a point source decreases with the inverse square
rule.

Visible light from a line source like a fluorescent tube decreases
with a simple inverse, no square involved, rule. Until you get far
enough away that a line source appears to be a point.

Visible light from a plane source doesn't decrease at all, until you
get far enough away that it appears to be a point.

I'm reasonably sure that those seeming contradictions are because a given
point is receiving light from many areas of the large source. If one were to
measure the light fall off of each of those areas, the inverse square rule
would be true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:37:48 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
TimR wrote:
[...]

It's called math.

Weren't you required to derive the inverse square rule at some point? It's a straightforward application of geometry.

But you always have to check your assumptions. Those assumptions require a point source, or a reasonable approximation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

-

I want a transporter like on Star Trek to single out and remove nails or screws. You could prank your friends by transporting their chair out from under them. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Trekie Monster

.... that's an imagination!

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-20, Dan Espen wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

a force like magnetism decreases as the CUBE of the distance.

Visible light decreases with the square
"inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism
would be different?

Because there are always two magnetic poles, and the magnetic field in
any point is the DIFFERENCE between the fields created by those poles.
The difference decreases with cube of the distance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
[...]

I don't recall having to do so but I used it daily for more than 40 years.

But you always have to check your assumptions. Those assumptions
require a point source, or a reasonable approximation.

Indeed. Small enough so the light doesn't "wrap". Or distance...the sun is
a "point source". In practical terms, source size relative to subject size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:54:35 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
A force like magnetism decreases as the square of the distance.

In three dimensional space its usually the cube of the distance.

In the "near field," probably just the distance, not the cube.

We were working on the lawnmower last weekend and dropped one of the bolts in the grass, couldn't find it.

I got my biggest magnet and swept the area, no luck.

So I took one of the bolts I hadn't lost (yet) and threw it down to a known spot, so I could test the magnet. Reached down with the magnet and heard two clicks, sure enough both bolts were stuck to it. FAR better to be lucky than good.

I used to do just that while chanting, "Brother go find your brother".

(It didn't work very often....)

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

--
Bobby G.

I asked myself why anyone on earth would waste their money preparing and
filing a patent application for something that anyone with an
engineering or science education would immediately realize couldn't ever
be made to work.

My best guess is that the "inventor" got hooked in by a greedy "patent
assistant."

Or maybe even by a firm like the one George Forman is pushing on radio
and TV ads lately:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DF7/inventhe...george-foreman

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/23/2015 04:13 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

A powerful magnet, with only "pin point" accuracy would be real useful
for nail removal. In other words, the magnet would be held right over
the nail head. I'm not sure just how much force would be needed though.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070039286

--
Bobby G.

I asked myself why anyone on earth would waste their money preparing and filing a patent application for something that anyone with an engineering or science education would immediately realize couldn't ever be made to work.

Yah, a homeowner wearing a medical implant like a pacemaker or insulin pump and a powerful magnetic pulse from a nail remover...what could possibly go wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I asked myself why anyone on earth would waste their money preparing and
filing a patent application for something that anyone with an
engineering or science education would immediately realize couldn't ever
be made to work.

My best guess is that the "inventor" got hooked in by a greedy "patent
assistant."

Or maybe even by a firm like the one George Forman is pushing on radio
and TV ads lately:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DF7/inventhe...george-foreman

Jeff

I suspect you're right. Shows like "Shark Tank" also feed on the "become
rich through invention" scams that seem to have cropped up like mushrooms
after a spring rain.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Fake ID, Patent Ending wrote:
Fake ID: not a problem: the magnet would be a steady field produced by a
direct current.

However (to all) this is NOT a "patent". It WAS an application that has been
abandoned, almost certainly because a patent examiner asked the author (who
obviously knew almost nothing about which he was writing) to overcome an
objection the examiner made ("the government" didn't "fail"), and the author
was unable to do so.

For example, one (an examiner) would inquire as to how this instrument would
work as an "impaler" when such action would require the nails to also be
powerful magnets (of polarity opposite to the applied magnetic field)
themselves to even begin to work (by "repelling the nails into" a surface).

But even then, because the applied field falls off so rapidly, the tool would
have to be constantly moved forward, with very considerable force, to "impale"
the nail into the surface. There is already a simple and elegant solution to
that problem. It is called a hammer, and it doesn't require magnetic nails.

ETC. !

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ls-831972-.htm