Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar lights

We bought these solar lights that you can put on mason jars. They
have an on-off switch on top by the solar panel part, and the light
part goes inside the mason jar. Well.... some of them work great,
but about half of them go off about a minute after they turn on from
it getting dark. If I bump it the light will turn on briefly and
then go off again. It's a bit irritating, to say the least.

Since the ones that aren't working right all have the same issue
could it just be a faulty switch? How would I fix something like
that myself vs sending them back? Or how would I know if it's a loose
wire, or just a design flaw not worth fixing myself?

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I've been known to fix stuff
armed with a pink screw driver, pliers, or hammer... I can use a
drill, too, but for this I'd have to use a tiny Philips screwdriver
to take out some small screws.

Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with some help.
Thanks ahead of time.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

rebel wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds like batttery is bad, not charging up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2015 9:03 PM, rebel wrote:
[...]

might help to disclose a link to the light specs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:15:55 PM UTC-5, rebel wrote:
[...]

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices have simple bent metal contacts in the battery compartment rather than springs. When the device is dropped, the weight of the battery can flatten out the bent metal contacts. It's a simple repair to bend a contact back into shape. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Bent Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2015 12:03 AM, rebel wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need the Ranco Autowhacker, as
seen on TV. Sold by Billy May, also. Just plug
it in (needs no batteries, Mom!) and it whacks
your device at variable time intervals.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2015 22:04:13 -0700, mike wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time.

might help to disclose a link to the light specs.

I can look it up, but will have to hunt down the paperwork. I'll try
to find it tonight. I thought about posting a link about 3 mins
after I hit send. By then I was well on my way to sawing some serious
logs... Zzzzzz

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2015 22:23:07 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time.

Sounds like batttery is bad, not charging up.

I do have some new batteries, but I'm not sure these lights use
AA.... I may have to buy some outdoor rechargeable AAA's if that's
the problem. Good idea, tho. Thanks!

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2015 22:55:09 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot
of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices
have simple bent metal contacts in the battery
compartment rather than springs. When the device is
dropped, the weight of the battery can flatten out the
bent metal contacts. It's a simple repair to bend a
contact back into shape. 8-)

ok.. I'll try that, when I take one apart. Do I bend the while end
or just the part of the contact that may have flattened out?

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 May 2015 06:40:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time.

Sounds like you need the Ranco Autowhacker, as
seen on TV. Sold by Billy May, also. Just plug
it in (needs no batteries, Mom!) and it whacks
your device at variable time intervals.

LOL

I dunno... If I want something whacked it's more satisfying to do it
myself!

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot
of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices
have simple bent metal contacts in the battery
compartment rather than springs. When the device is
dropped, the weight of the battery can flatten out the
bent metal contacts. It's a simple repair to bend a
contact back into shape. 8-)

ok.. I'll try that, when I take one apart. Do I bend the while end
or just the part of the contact that may have flattened out?

--
rebel

You'll see a crease in the metal but usually you slip a small flat blade screwdriver behind the metal strip and pry it out a little. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Solar Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2015 12:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[snip]

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices have simple bent metal contacts in the battery

compartment rather than springs. When the device is dropped, the weight
of the battery can flatten out the bent metal contacts. It's a simple
repair to bend a contact back into shape. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Bent Monster

I gave up on those solar lights a couple of years ago. They don't give
much light (getting even worse with age), and are too much work to keep
going, largely from bad battery contacts and batteries that don't last
very long.

I went back to the old WIRED lights. bulbs burnt out every few months,
but replacing them was still less work than with the solar ones and they
gave more light.

Finally, I found LED modules for the wired lights. Better than either.

I know of a few people around here who tried solar lights and don't use
them any more.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt." -- Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2015 07:57 AM, rebel wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 22:23:07 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time.

Sounds like batttery is bad, not charging up.

I do have some new batteries, but I'm not sure these lights use AA.... I
may have to buy some outdoor rechargeable AAA's if that's the problem.
Good idea, tho. Thanks!

Some use AA, some AAA, and some 2/3AA.

BTW, 2/3AA are the same diameter as AA but shorter. They're not a common
size sold in stores.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt." -- Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot
of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices
have simple bent metal contacts in the battery
compartment rather than springs. When the device is
dropped, the weight of the battery can flatten out the
bent metal contacts. It's a simple repair to bend a
contact back into shape. 8-)

ok.. I'll try that, when I take one apart. Do I bend the while end
or just the part of the contact that may have flattened out?

--
rebel

You'll see a crease in the metal but usually you slip a small flat blade screwdriver behind the metal strip and pry it out a little. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Solar Monster

ok ... I have a slot screwdriver I can use. That'll be my project for
tonight.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2015 12:34 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

We used to use the wired lights, but wanted to try to go totally solar
outside. So far, we have plenty of solar lights all around the house.
A while back when the power went out, I just bought in some outdoor
solar lights that were charged from that days sunshine and we had plenty
of light in the house while the power was out. It wasn't long enough to
fire up the generators, so they worked great in a pinch.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2015 12:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/18/2015 07:57 AM, rebel wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 22:23:07 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time.

Sounds like batttery is bad, not charging up.

I do have some new batteries, but I'm not sure these lights use AA.... I
may have to buy some outdoor rechargeable AAA's if that's the problem.
Good idea, tho. Thanks!

Some use AA, some AAA, and some 2/3AA.

BTW, 2/3AA are the same diameter as AA but shorter. They're not a common
size sold in stores.

ohh I think I've seen th 2/3AA ones. They did look like short AA's.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Any way.. maybe I could fix the irritating lights with
some help. Thanks ahead of time

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot
of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices
have simple bent metal contacts in the battery
compartment rather than springs. When the device is
dropped, the weight of the battery can flatten out the
bent metal contacts. It's a simple repair to bend a
contact back into shape. 8-)

ok.. I'll try that, when I take one apart. Do I bend the while end
or just the part of the contact that may have flattened out?

--
rebel

You'll see a crease in the metal but usually you slip a small flat blade screwdriver behind the metal strip and pry it out a little. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Solar Monster

Well, I took the little light thing apart to see if the battery wasn't
in there good, and the metal ends the battery is sandwiched between fell
out.

btw... I can't find the exact ones we have, but they look like these:
http://www.twigsbyteri.com/images/solarLantern.jpg

We supply our own mason jar and the solar part is the wring with the
light and plastic dome that covers the bulbs.

I think we'll be sending them back to the place we bought them.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You mean I was right? Woopie! I was right! happy dance ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Genius Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 May 2015 21:06:04 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
You mean I was right? Woopie! I was right! happy
dance ^_^

Are you doing a two step?

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You mean I was right? Woopie! I was right! happy
dance ^_^

Are you doing a two step?

--
rebel

I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and moving my legs like a frog.8-)

[8~{} Uncle Frog Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 May 2015 22:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
You mean I was right? Woopie! I was right! happy
dance ^_^

Are you doing a two step?

I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and moving
my legs like a frog.8-)

Hey, I know that dance, too. Btdt...

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You mean I was right? Woopie! I was right! happy
dance ^_^

Are you doing a two step?

I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and moving
my legs like a frog.8-)

Hey, I know that dance, too. Btdt...

--
rebel

What about the wheelchair dance? 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Rolling Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2015 04:42:15 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and
moving my legs like a frog.8-)

Hey, I know that dance, too. Btdt...

What about the wheelchair dance? 8-)

Yeah... I couldn't really dance that one by myself. Someone else had
to do the free wheeling for me.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and
moving my legs like a frog.8-)

Hey, I know that dance, too. Btdt...

What about the wheelchair dance? 8-)

Yeah... I couldn't really dance that one by myself. Someone else had
to do the free wheeling for me.

--
rebel

Both my shoulders are torn up so I use my legs to pull myself around in a wheelchair. The hallway past the nurses station has a slope to it and it's impossible for me to use my arms to roll the wheels and get up the gentle slope so I must use the wall rail to pull myself along. That hurts like hell too. If my right knee will stabilize, I'll be able use my walker then graduate to my cane and possibly freestyle walking some time later. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Crippled Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2015 12:59 PM, rebel wrote:

[snip]

Some use AA, some AAA, and some 2/3AA.

BTW, 2/3AA are the same diameter as AA but shorter. They're not a common
size sold in stores.

ohh I think I've seen th 2/3AA ones. They did look like short AA's.

When I had those lights, I looked on the internet for 2/3AA
replacements. They cost a lot more than new lights with batteries.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not
prove anything." --- Frederick Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm in the hospital bed waving my arms and
moving my legs like a frog.8-)

Hey, I know that dance, too. Btdt...

What about the wheelchair dance? 8-)

Yeah... I couldn't really dance that one by myself. Someone else had
to do the free wheeling for me.

Both my shoulders are torn up so I use my legs to pull myself around in a wheelchair. The hallway past the nurses station has a slope to it and it's impossible for me to use my arms to roll the wheels and get up the gentle slope so I must use the wall rail to pull myself along. That hurts like hell too. If my right knee will stabilize, I'll be able use my walker then graduate to my cane and possibly freestyle walking some time later. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Crippled Monster

I had a torn rotator on my right shoulder and it hurt like crazy for a
long time. I've noticed over the past month or so that it's finally
healed up and not killing me any more. Seems like the older I get the
longer it takes body parts to heal.

I bet it seems like you won't ever get to walking again, but I bet you
will even though it may take a while.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2015 11:27 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/18/2015 12:59 PM, rebel wrote:

[snip]

Some use AA, some AAA, and some 2/3AA.

BTW, 2/3AA are the same diameter as AA but shorter. They're not a common
size sold in stores.

ohh I think I've seen th 2/3AA ones. They did look like short AA's.

When I had those lights, I looked on the internet for 2/3AA
replacements. They cost a lot more than new lights with batteries.

I didn't see the price, but the ones I saw were in a Home Depot, I think.

--
rebel

Ants - solar Lights John UK diy 27 April 25th 17 12:12 PM
Solar Garden Lights Grimly Curmudgeon UK diy 0 May 5th 09 06:38 PM
solar lights tony pac Home Repair 5 June 13th 07 02:40 PM
solar lights Dwayne & Angela UK diy 13 April 12th 07 07:26 AM
solar lights Tony Pacc Home Repair 6 August 9th 06 01:37 AM