DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/382665-cordless-dustbuster-wont-charge.html)

[email protected] May 6th 15 01:10 PM

Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge

9/2/03donald girod wrote:
"It's just failure of the nicad batteries due to leaving them continually on
charge. This is just not the way to make them last but it is what B&D
recommends, probably so that the batteries fail early.
You can replace the batteries for approximately the cost of a new
dustbuster.

wrote in message

I thought by at least 15 years ago they would have devised a way for
the charger base to stop charging automatically, even while the
dust-buster(or cordless phone, or whatever) was on the base.

gregz May 7th 15 08:08 AM

wrote in message

I thought by at least 15 years ago they would have devised a way for
the charger base to stop charging automatically, even while the
dust-buster(or cordless phone, or whatever) was on the base.

I have a dirt devil extreme I occasionally use. I only charge it a few
hours occasionally. Got to be at least 6 years old.

Greg

[email protected] May 7th 15 12:11 PM

Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge

Gz:

If you are good at remembering to remove
from base after so many hours that is good.

Me, not so much.

gregz May 8th 15 08:09 AM

wrote:
Gz:

If you are good at remembering to remove
from base after so many hours that is good.

Me, not so much.

I move it out so I trip over it !!

Greg

Horace. LaBadie May 14th 15 03:19 AM

thekmanrocks wrote:

"It's just failure of the nicad batteries due to leaving them continually on
charge.

The charger should shut off when the batteries are charged.

Unquestionably Confused May 14th 15 12:16 PM

On 5/13/2015 9:19 PM, Horace. LaBadie wrote:
thekmanrocks wrote:

"It's just failure of the nicad batteries due to leaving them
continually on charge.

The charger should shut off when the batteries are charged.

Maybe in a perfect world... The charger should also maintain a float
charge and trickle the battery to maintain a perfect state of 100%
efficiency so he can use that dust buster to clean out 50 cars before it
needs to be recharged, But it doesn't! Which is why almost every
Ni-Cad rechargeable appliance/tool I've ever seen cautions against
leaving on the charger more than a set period of time, recommends not
topping it off after each use, etc.

Ni-Cads are old technology and are notorious for taking on a "memory"
and being short-lived. Newer tech (Li-Ion) = Better Service