Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riding Mower wont start

I have a troy bilt horse xp with a kohler 22hp engine sv620 it will only start if i use starter fluid. i left old gas on the tank so i drained the tank and sprayed it out with ether and bleed the fuel lines to the carb i also removed the diaphram and sprayed it out with ether.

From the symptoms it's likely leaving gas in it fouled the
carb. The solution is to remove the carb, disassemble it,
thoroughly clean it with carb cleaner/compressed air
and put it back together.
Thoroughly cleaning it may involve removing welch plugs, if it
has them, to get access. There are rebuild kits sold online,
Ebay, etc for ~$10 that include new needle valves, gasket, etc.
Depending on the condition of the gasket between intake and carb,
you may need to pick one of those up, they are sold separately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2015 7:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
I have a troy bilt horse xp with a kohler 22hp engine sv620 it will only start if i use starter fluid. i left old gas on the tank so i drained the tank and sprayed it out with ether and bleed the fuel lines to the carb i also removed the diaphram and sprayed it out with ether.

From the symptoms it's likely leaving gas in it fouled the
carb. The solution is to remove the carb, disassemble it,
thoroughly clean it with carb cleaner/compressed air
and put it back together.
Thoroughly cleaning it may involve removing welch plugs, if it
has them, to get access. There are rebuild kits sold online,
Ebay, etc for ~$10 that include new needle valves, gasket, etc.
Depending on the condition of the gasket between intake and carb,
you may need to pick one of those up, they are sold separately.

Over the years I have had great success in overcoming the effects of
stale gas left in power equipment and engines that have been set aside
unused for years.

Drain any gas out of the tank, add a cup of fresh gas and add some carb
cleaner to the gas and see if you can fire it up. If it works, expect
to see a lot of white exhaust smoke and rough running for a bit. Once
done, fill it with fresh gas and go about your business.*

Alternative: After winter storage or other prolonged storage, get a can
of "Start Your Engines" from Gold Eagle Products. Seems to work as well
or better than the first option. Follow directions and then use fresh
gas.*

* I have taken to ALWAYS adding Sea Foam Gas Additive/Motor Treatment to
my stored gasoline equipment. Recommended by my mower repair service
guy. Seems to work much better than Sta-Bil in keeping things running
smoothly.

YMMV but the carb cleaner routine would be my first choice in this
instance. Cheap and quick.