DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   too bad no present day car can do this (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/379225-re-too-bad-no-present-day-car-can-do.html)

Vic Smith March 2nd 15 06:23 AM

too bad no present day car can do this

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:20:33 -0600, philo wrote:

I recall once talking to an old timer who told me his father's Model T
would start even if it was 20 below.

He said they'd put a try of glowing coals beneath the engine block.

Not sure if that would be a good idea today.

Depends. I put a small alcohol heater under my '64 Olds.
Caused a crankcase explosion, which bent the valley plate.
I wouldn't do it again.
I haven't had a problem starting any of my cars in sub-zero weather
since that one, excepting my 6 volt Bug which I had to push with
another car few times.
Of course they all got new plugs and wires in the spring and fall, and
a choke adjustment when the weather warmed and at the first hard
freeze.
My Chevy Beauville van with a 350 was my record holder, at -26F.
It barely cranked slooowly, but fired up after maybe a quarter turn.
Since FI I haven't had any problem starting them, though never at
-26F. Probably only minus 10-15F. Global warming.