Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High Efficiency Furnace intake pipe does not go outside. Is that OK?

replying to intersoft4you, HVAC Man wrote:
intersoft4you wrote:

Hi everybody,
I have just installed new High Efficiency furnace (Keeprite). In the
manual 2 pipes are depicted (Exhaust and intake) running outside of the
house. However, the installer has left the intake pipe inside of the
basement (the pipe is about 20 inches long above the furnace). He says
it's OK to have an intake pipe to suck the air from within the
basement. Is it?
Thanks a lot!
Viktor

A high efficiency furnace should draw air from the same pressure zone !
Meaning the inlet air pipe and the exhaust air pipe should be in close
proximity to one another allowing equal pressure changes. Both pipes
should always be installed on the same side of the house as well. Whomever
said you are allowed to to draw intake air from the basement is just
looking to make some easy money on nuisance pressure sensor trips....

Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Nonsense. Many furnaces can be installed using either outside
combustion air or inside. It's permitted per the manufacturer's
installation instructions. In most cases it makes more sense to
use outside air, especially if the furnace is located in a heated
space, because if inside air is used, the makeup cold air will be
drawn in to the structure from outside through leakage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Yep. Not only that, but some of the earlier high efficiency furnaces
didn't even have an air intake pipe. I had an Amana, probably from the
90s, that had a standard open burner arrangement just like the furnaces
from the 70s. I just drew air from the room where it was installed. The
exhaust on the Amana, was the standard PVC out the side wall of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Not that it matters at this point, as this is a revival of an old post,
but the install manual for the furnace would have the answer as to how
it can be installed. My Rheem, it could installed either with outside
air or using air from within.

Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Same thing here. My two Heil furnaces never required outside air, the first
running for 22 years, The current one running for 10 years. No nuisance
trips or other issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2015 10:03 AM, Smarty wrote:

Same thing here. My two Heil furnaces never required outside air, the first
running for 22 years, The current one running for 10 years. No nuisance
trips or other issues.

Luxaire, installed 1994. No nussiance trips.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2015 1:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.

CAN BE does not mean SHOULD BE.

Using outside air for combustion is more efficient. You are using air
that you paid to heat and sending it up the flue. Sounds to me the
contractor for the OP is just lazy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 10:29:50 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2015 1:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.

CAN BE does not mean SHOULD BE.

Using outside air for combustion is more efficient. You are using air
that you paid to heat and sending it up the flue. Sounds to me the
contractor for the OP is just lazy.

The difference in heat may not be that great. One factor is where
the furnace is located, ie is it in the heated space, an unheated
basement, garage, attic, etc. Even assuming worse case, it's not
clear to me how much difference it makes. Yes heated air is used
for combustion. But the alternative, bringing in cold outside air,
just means less heat is generated in the furnace. You're getting
more heat of a furnace with 60F air going into it than with 20F air.

I know relatively new, circa 2007, expensive houses built here that
have furnaces in unfinished basements that use the basement air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2015 1:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.

CAN BE does not mean SHOULD BE.

Using outside air for combustion is more efficient. You are using air
that you paid to heat and sending it up the flue. Sounds to me the
contractor for the OP is just lazy.

Hi,
Any how, today's new houses are so air tight we have to bring in
controlled outside fresh air into the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:05:14 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2015 1:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.

CAN BE does not mean SHOULD BE.

Using outside air for combustion is more efficient. You are using air
that you paid to heat and sending it up the flue. Sounds to me the
contractor for the OP is just lazy.

Hi,
Any how, today's new houses are so air tight we have to bring in
controlled outside fresh air into the house.

Maybe so, somewhere. But I've yet to see a new house that was so airtight
that it needed it around here, NJ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2015 1:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Mod mid-efficiency furnace haad fresh air insulated dampered intake duct
for combustion. In this case intake can be inside the basement. Our
local code allows this.

CAN BE does not mean SHOULD BE.

Using outside air for combustion is more efficient. You are using air
that you paid to heat and sending it up the flue. Sounds to me the
contractor for the OP is just lazy.

Hi,
Any how, today's new houses are so air tight we have to bring in
controlled outside fresh air into the house.

Maybe so, somewhere. But I've yet to see a new house that was so airtight
that it needed it around here, NJ.

Hi,
In cold climate up here every new house going up has provision for fresh
air intake. My house was built in 1994 per R2000 specs. If
it doesn't bring in fresh air, it may cause indoor CO problem.
Summer or winter, we seldom open windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

intersoft4you wrote:

[...]

Ever done an energy audit to see how air tight your house is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Where is this CO problem supposed to come from?