Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default I have an Opossum in storage building (to get rid of)!

I have an old trailer house that is for storage, but its in poor shape
and I intend to demolish it this summer. Actually the roof is fine, but
the crappy particle board floor is just falling apart. I'ne replaced
parts of it over the years, but rather than constantly fixing that floor
which seems to be an endless job, I just built a pole shed which will
get a concrete floor. this summer. I ran out of decent weather last
fall, and didn't get the shed finished.

Anyhow, I went in the old trailer house to get some stuff, and expected
to find some mice, which have done a lot of damage in there. But I was
not expecting to come face to face to a hissing opossum.

I can see there is another bad spot in the floor (hole), so I know how
it got in, but before I nail something over that hole, I need to get the
opossum out.

This is a farm, so I can shoot it, but I'm not the best shot for one
thing, and I only have a single shot 22. I could borrow a better gun,
but I dont want to shoot inside the building, for several reasons.
First I'll damage the stuff stored in there, second, there are aerosol
cans of spray paint and other stuff that could explode if I hit one of
them. Plus I'll be making more holes in the building.

So, I'm looking for another method to get rid of this opossum. I'd like
to do it as humanely as possible, but will do whatever I must, since
it's already done a lot of damage by knocking things over and crapping
on stuff.

Any suggestions on what to use? Such as poison????
I do have a live trap (made for raccoons), so it's the right size. But
I have no idea what to bait it with for an opossum. But I'd really
prefer to use poison, because I dont really want to deal with a hissing
critter in the trap, which I'll have to somehow kill anyhow.
(There may be more than one of them too, but I did see one, and as soon
as I did, I got the hell out of there). Just the thought of going in
there to set a trap or something is making me uncomfortable. I'd rather
deal with a raccoon, they will usually run away, (inless they have a
nest of babies), but an opossum will attack a person any time.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:
[...]

Take a shallow pan and pour some ammonia into it so it evaporates. The
smell of the ammonia will drive the critters out of the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:03:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A radio set on country western. Leave that on overnight and problem gone
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've caught a zillion oppossums in live traps. They seem to eat anything. I've probably caught more on peanut butter than anything else. But almost any table scraps from dinner will be fine.

Yeah, they hiss, but they get comfortable in the trap, you have to shake them out, and they scuttle off. I've never had one even look like it might be aggressive.

They do eat mice, which might be why you don't have any.

You do NOT want to poison it. If it dies where you can't reach it, the carcass will smell for a month, maybe more.

Hint: even if you are a very bad shot, it's pretty easy to hit one in a trap. I've killed them that way with low power pellet guns, though usually I release them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 03:58:52 -0600, wrote:

[...]

They're actually pretty amazing creatures and generally do more good
than harm - they eat critters that do cause harm. But I wouldn't want
one inside pooping around so try mothballs - that works with some
other creatures.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 2/10/2015 4:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

Peanut butter seems to work for all critters from mice to raccoons.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

This is groundhog size trap and can only catch smaller raccoons so you
do need a big trap.

Last time I put it out, I got a skunk, which is a whole other story.
Make sure you can open the trap from several feet away if this happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2015 03:58 AM, wrote:
I have an old trailer house that is for storage, but its in poor shape
and I intend to demolish it this summer. Actually the roof is fine, but
the crappy particle board floor is just falling apart. I'ne replaced
parts of it over the years, but rather than constantly fixing that floor
which seems to be an endless job, I just built a pole shed which will
get a concrete floor. this summer. I ran out of decent weather last
fall, and didn't get the shed finished.

Seriously...

If you are going to demolish the house this summer, just leave the dang
thing alone. Even if you get rid of it, some other critter is just going
to get in there.

Years back I live trapped and relocated a whole hell of a lot of
squirrels and though my yard was empty for a week or so...before too
long I had more new ones than ever.

( I did at least get the holes in my eaves patched with sheet metal and
they did not get inside.)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 2/10/2015 5:16 AM, Ben Berndt wrote:

Pipe the exhaust from a gas engine into the shed for about 15 minutes
and it's "good night" for Mr. O' Possum.

Jah, mein herr, Zat is ze vay.... Keel de chews!

Boot, vont zey schtink to hi haffen ven zey rott?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2015 07:15 AM, TimR wrote:
I've caught a zillion oppossums in live traps. They seem to eat anything. I've probably caught more on peanut butter than anything else. But almost any table scraps from dinner will be fine.

Yeah, they hiss, but they get comfortable in the trap, you have to shake them out, and they scuttle off. I've never had one even look like it might be aggressive.

They do eat mice, which might be why you don't have any.

You do NOT want to poison it. If it dies where you can't reach it, the carcass will smell for a month, maybe more.

I'd never poison either. Always worried that a dog would get at it and
die by eating it.

(Or in the case of mice...a cat)

Hint: even if you are a very bad shot, it's pretty easy to hit one in a trap. I've killed them that way with low power pellet guns, though usually I release them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

They roam at night. I wonder if you could just
wait until late at night and block the hole.
Failing that, put broccoli and peanut butter
in the trap. There's no need to kill it and there's
no need to get near it. Just plug the hole once
it's out, then, if it's in a cage simply open the
gate and walk away. The opossum will leave the
cage eventually, after you're gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:

A radio set on country western. Leave that on overnight and problem gone

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:37:26 -0700, rbowman

So, I'm looking for another method to get rid of this opossum. I'd like
to do it as humanely as possible, but will do whatever I must, since
it's already done a lot of damage by knocking things over and crapping
on stuff.

Any suggestions on what to use? Such as poison????

Baseball bat? Shovel? Hoe? It's only a damn possum.

They look a lot more fierce than they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2015 10:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:

A radio set on country western. Leave that on overnight and problem gone

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.

I dont have the source, some thing I read long
before there was Internet. But someone studied
cows and music. Turns out if you play rock and
roll, milk production goes down about 12%. If you
play classical symphonic, milk production goes
up about 12%. Country western, no change.

I've also heard that in downtown city convenience
stores, they have found tht playing classical
symphonic music on lound speakers is a big help.
Elderly white patrons (who tend to buy stuff and
who generally act with gracious and gentle manners)
are not affected by the symphonic music, or may
even stay longer and buy more. But, the classical
music tends to drive off the loitering, trouble
making urban coons.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:00:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I've noticed that elderly people of all colors tend to be gracious
while younger people of all colors tend to be less so. But that
certainly isn't always true. You're an asshold and you're old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:10:24 -0800 (PST), "Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law"
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:03:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an old trailer house that is for storage, but its in poor shape
and I intend to demolish it this summer. Actually the roof is fine, but
the crappy particle board floor is just falling apart. I'ne replaced
parts of it over the years, but rather than constantly fixing that floor
which seems to be an endless job, I just built a pole shed which will
get a concrete floor. this summer. I ran out of decent weather last
fall, and didn't get the shed finished.

SNIP
Any suggestions on what to use? Such as poison????
I do have a live trap (made for raccoons), so it's the right size. But
I have no idea what to bait it with for an opossum. But I'd really
prefer to use poison, because I dont really want to deal with a hissing
critter in the trap, which I'll have to somehow kill anyhow.
(There may be more than one of them too, but I did see one, and as soon
as I did, I got the hell out of there). Just the thought of going in
there to set a trap or something is making me uncomfortable. I'd rather
deal with a raccoon, they will usually run away, (inless they have a
nest of babies), but an opossum will attack a person any time.

Thanks for all suggestions.

A radio set on country western. Leave that on overnight and problem gone

A rag well soaked in Ammonia tossed in will do the job, just don't toss it near the
hole. It works well in craw spaces also.

To reply to this message please remove the AT
after the kgs1 in the reply to address.

To a conservatist's it truly is a free country,
YOU may do whatever they wish. KG

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:37:26 -0700, rbowman

So, I'm looking for another method to get rid of this opossum. I'd like
to do it as humanely as possible, but will do whatever I must, since
it's already done a lot of damage by knocking things over and crapping
on stuff.

Any suggestions on what to use? Such as poison????

Baseball bat? Shovel? Hoe? It's only a damn possum.

And often the damage supposedly done by possums is actually done by
raccoons, but the raccoons leave and the possums get the blame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've also heard that in downtown city convenience
stores, they have found tht playing classical
symphonic music on lound speakers is a big help.
Elderly white patrons (who tend to buy stuff and
who generally act with gracious and gentle manners)
are not affected by the symphonic music, or may
even stay longer and buy more. But, the classical
music tends to drive off the loitering, trouble
making urban coons.

The radio at the gym is usually tuned to one of the local rock stations. I
went in one Saturday morning when just one of the woners was here. She had a
classical station playing. I can attest classical music does absolutely
nothing for working out unless you prefer the SuperSlow regimen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2015 9:39 AM, dgk wrote:
Elderly white patrons (who tend to buy stuff and
who generally act with gracious and gentle manners)
are not affected by the symphonic music, or may
even stay longer and buy more. But, the classical
music tends to drive off the loitering, trouble
making urban coons.

I've noticed that elderly people of all colors tend to be gracious
while younger people of all colors tend to be less so. But that
certainly isn't always true. You're an asshold and you're old.

Fortunately, I have years of training, and
some secondary education in asshold.

-
..
Christopher Asshold Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:39:19 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.

I used to buy fresh meat (pork) from a small farm in central PA. John
kept a radio playing and a bowling ball in the pig pen. Said the pigs
entertained themselves by rolling the ball around. Don't know much
behind it but it sure was some of the best pork I ever ate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And (at least after a bath) reasonably white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.

I used to buy fresh meat (pork) from a small farm in central PA. John
kept a radio playing and a bowling ball in the pig pen. Said the pigs
entertained themselves by rolling the ball around. Don't know much
behind it but it sure was some of the best pork I ever ate.

We used to hang tires in the pig-pen and they'd bat them around with
their snouts by the our - like playing tetherball. Hogs are VERY smart
animals (unlike cattlebeasts)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:39:41 -0500, dgk wrote:

Snip
.

I've noticed that elderly people of all colors tend to be gracious
while younger people of all colors tend to be less so. But that
certainly isn't always true. You're an asshold and you're old.

Umm, what's an "asshold?" Is that possibly a maneuver in faggot
wrestling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.

I used to buy fresh meat (pork) from a small farm in central PA. John
kept a radio playing and a bowling ball in the pig pen. Said the pigs
entertained themselves by rolling the ball around. Don't know much
behind it but it sure was some of the best pork I ever ate.

A boss I worked for also owned a farm that had some pigs. One time he
went to a bowling alley and got a bunch of their old damaged bowling
balls for that very same purpose.

The only problem was he kept forgetting to give the balls to his pigs.
After a period of time the inside of his trunk looked like the
magnified surface of a golf ball. Guess what the outside surface of
his trunk looked like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor had a problem with raccoons taking plums from his tree. He tried
the radio deal. The raccoons enjoyed the dinner music.

I used to buy fresh meat (pork) from a small farm in central PA. John
kept a radio playing and a bowling ball in the pig pen. Said the pigs
entertained themselves by rolling the ball around. Don't know much
behind it but it sure was some of the best pork I ever ate.

A boss I worked for also owned a farm that had some pigs. One time he
went to a bowling alley and got a bunch of their old damaged bowling
balls for that very same purpose.

The only problem was he kept forgetting to give the balls to his pigs.
After a period of time the inside of his trunk looked like the
magnified surface of a golf ball. Guess what the outside surface of
his trunk looked like.

He must've been raised in the city
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:45:20 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:39:41 -0500, dgk wrote:

Snip
.

I've noticed that elderly people of all colors tend to be gracious
while younger people of all colors tend to be less so. But that
certainly isn't always true. You're an asshold and you're old.

Umm, what's an "asshold?" Is that possibly a maneuver in faggot
wrestling?

http://www.billsexcellentbusinessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Head-up-your-ass.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/npg37cx

You get the picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2015 4:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:39:41 -0500, dgk wrote:

Snip
.

I've noticed that elderly people of all colors tend to be gracious
while younger people of all colors tend to be less so. But that
certainly isn't always true. You're an asshold and you're old.

Umm, what's an "asshold?" Is that possibly a maneuver in faggot
wrestling?

That mental image requires a twelve pack to
try and forget that for a few minutes.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2015 4:53 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
A boss I worked for also owned a farm that had some pigs. One time he
went to a bowling alley and got a bunch of their old damaged bowling
balls for that very same purpose.

The only problem was he kept forgetting to give the balls to his pigs.
After a period of time the inside of his trunk looked like the
magnified surface of a golf ball. Guess what the outside surface of
his trunk looked like.

Snout snot. From all the pigs trying to
get at the bowling balls.

What did I win?