Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furniture polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil ?

Hi Community!

I have a (laminated) wood bathroom vanity that says, "... use "furniture polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil.". "The detergents clean dirt form the furniture, the emulsifiers give it body to clean and last longer, and the mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moisture that could harm finishes.".

Does anyone have any idea which commonly available consumer products meet that criteria?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards . . .

P.S. If interested, the maintenance instructions recommend not having the vanity in direct contact of the sun, dusting with a lint free cloth in the direction of the grain, and polishing about every six months by rubbing in the polish in the direction of the grain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:59:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi Community!

I have a (laminated) wood bathroom vanity that says, "... use "furniture polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil.". "The detergents clean dirt form the furniture, the emulsifiers give it body to clean and last longer, and the mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moisture that could harm finishes.".

Does anyone have any idea which commonly available consumer products meet that criteria?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards . . .

P.S. If interested, the maintenance instructions recommend not having the vanity in direct contact of the sun, dusting with a lint free cloth in the direction of the grain, and polishing about every six months by rubbing in the polish in the direction of the grain.

I've done some more research and it seems that the answer to the question depends on the kind of finish that was put on the furniture when it was originally made (or refinished).

Here's some words from the antique furniture world (read this first) :
http://www.antiquetrader.com/feature...-no-not-really

Here's some sites that have DYI recipes:
http://www.diynetwork.com/decorating...ure/index.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_6027477_natu...l-vinegar.html
http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/rec...rniture_polish
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/ga...ef=garden&_r=0

I give up on this quandary. I'm just going to spray Pledge directly on the wood like I've always done, smear it around a bit with a one side of a fairly clean old cotton rag, wipe it off with the other dry side, and call it good enough. I thought there would be a relatively simple answer or how-to that everyone in the world but me knows about. Instead, what I've found is that this might require a doctoral dissertation to answer accurately.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions on this topic :-)

Regards . . .