Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace wood posts holding up a retaining wall

I have a 2' tall retaining wall in my garden. It consists of 6x8 railroad
ties, set on edge. The rr-ties are laterally supported by treated 4x4 lumber
posts, imbedded about 1' into concrete supports poured into the soil on the
low side of the wall. there is no concrete footing for the RRties, they are
set on the soil.

All this is now 30 years old. The RR ties are still in good shape but the
treated 4x4 have rotted/broken-off at the base of the wall. Therefore, the
RR ties are slowly being pushed downhill, collapsing the wall.

If I could replace the 4x4 posts in their cast concrete bases, I could
easily re-align the RR ties. How can I replace the 4x4 posts, set in
concrete? Do I need to dig out the concrete base and re-pour new concrete
around a new post? That's hard work for an 85 year old.

Thanks for any help

Walter

--

www.rationality.net