DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   indirect water heater vs. electric water heater. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/375700-indirect-water-heater-vs-electric-water-heater.html)

[email protected] November 10th 14 02:10 AM

indirect water heater vs. electric water heater.

Hi.
My 7-year old 40gal SuperstorUltra indirect water heater sprang a leak and I need to replace it. My well=maintained boiler is an oil-fired 7year old Burnham MPO-147, originally advertised at 85% efficiency.

How do I figure out if better to replace the indirect water heater in-kind, or switch to all electric?

Assume 2 adults and 2 children in the house. 220V is readily available. Propane, natural gas, and heat-pump waterheater are not being considered due to availability and reluctance to try new tech.

I'm not afraid of the math to compare. I just need guidance on what to do.
Many thanks!
Theodore.

Ed Pawlowski November 10th 14 03:22 AM

On 11/9/2014 9:10 PM, wrote:
Hi.
My 7-year old 40gal SuperstorUltra indirect water heater sprang a leak and I need to replace it. My well=maintained boiler is an oil-fired 7year old Burnham MPO-147, originally advertised at 85% efficiency.

How do I figure out if better to replace the indirect water heater in-kind, or switch to all electric?

Assume 2 adults and 2 children in the house. 220V is readily available. Propane, natural gas, and heat-pump waterheater are not being considered due to availability and reluctance to try new tech.

I'm not afraid of the math to compare. I just need guidance on what to do.
Many thanks!
Theodore.

You can compare fuel cost here.
http://www.cozycabin.net/index.asp?r=0&pid=19&calc=yes
Propane and natural gas is far fron new trchnology after 75 or more years.

Easiest is usually to replace with what you have.