DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cub Cadet riding mower problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/375599-cub-cadet-riding-mower-problem.html)

[email protected] November 5th 14 11:55 PM

Cub Cadet riding mower problem

I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there was a safety sensor.

J Burns November 6th 14 12:29 AM

On 11/5/14, 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday
during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark
plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be
wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there
was a safety sensor.

If it happened to me, I'd unscrew the spark plug to see if it was wet
with gas and if it was sparking. If there was gas and a spark, I'd use
a bit of wire to see if the spark was strong enough to jump 1/4".

wg_2002 November 6th 14 01:31 AM

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:29:10 -0500, J Burns wrote:

On 11/5/14, 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday
during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark
plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be
wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there
was a safety sensor.

If it happened to me, I'd unscrew the spark plug to see if it was wet
with gas and if it was sparking. If there was gas and a spark, I'd use
a bit of wire to see if the spark was strong enough to jump 1/4".

Good advice. Pull the plug and then turn the motor over to see if you're
actually getting spark. Spark, fuel, and air about the three basic things
an engine needs to operate.

83LowRider November 6th 14 03:58 AM

wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday
during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark
plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be
wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there
was a safety sensor.

There is often a safety switch under the seat, on the blades and one for
being in neutral. Rule these out first.

83LowRider November 6th 14 11:31 AM

83LowRider wrote:

There is often a safety switch under the seat, on the blades and one
for being in neutral. Rule these out first.

That should have read --
one for being in "park" not neutral. In the case of my walkbehind
(hydro) it's required to have the brake applied.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 6th 14 12:45 PM

On 11/5/2014 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower,

year 2002. Yesterday during normal mowing the
engine shut off and would not restart. Spark
plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any
ideas on what may be wrong? Oil was a little low,
has been refilled. Didn't know if there was a
safety sensor.

I saw this post yesterday, and now reading again.
"engine shut off" is different than you shut the
engine down by yourself. From here, my best advice
is much the same as others write. Check for wet
gas on spark plug, and spark when you turn the
key. Also, this is a good time to pull the motor
cover, and clean any grease, and old grass from
under the cover. Over heating can damage engines.
The round flywheel draws air in, and blows the
air over the motor for cooling.

When you get it going, please let us know what
you find.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 6th 14 01:26 PM

On 11/5/2014 7:29 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/5/14, 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday
during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark
plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be
wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there
was a safety sensor.

If it happened to me, I'd unscrew the spark plug to see if it was wet
with gas and if it was sparking. If there was gas and a spark, I'd use
a bit of wire to see if the spark was strong enough to jump 1/4".

From what I read, the mower shut down during
"regular mowing". That would suggest a safety
failure, or possibly coil burned out.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

David L. Martel[_2_] November 6th 14 01:46 PM

Cub Cadet riding mower problem

83,

Looking at the safety switches may be wise but the seat switch and the
reverse switch are the only ones which will cut out the engine. The parking,
and blade engaged switches prevent engine start up.
It's not clear in his post but it sounds as if the engine cranks. That
would eliminate parking and blade engaged as problems.

Dave M.

Mike November 6th 14 03:12 PM

On 11/5/2014 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there was a safety sensor.

I had a chipper that did that. Turned out the rocker arm adjustment had
not been properly locked at the factory (engine only had 9 hours on
it)and backed off until the push rod jumped out of the socket.

Oren[_2_] November 6th 14 06:34 PM

Cub Cadet riding mower problem

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:55:18 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a Cub Cadet model 1515 riding lawn mower, year 2002. Yesterday during normal mowing the engine shut off and would not restart. Spark plug is good, fuel is getting to the carb. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Oil was a little low, has been refilled. Didn't know if there was a safety sensor.

Are you driving on slopes, horizontal? Fuel may have skipped a
beat... a vacuum in the fuel tank. Loosen the gas cap...open the gas
cap vent with a paper clip.

Check for any wire - spark plug wire can crack, break insulation,
abrade, and ground the engine out. It shuts down.

Have you cleaned air/fuel filters?

83LowRider November 6th 14 07:20 PM

David L. Martel wrote:
83,

Looking at the safety switches may be wise but the seat switch and
the reverse switch are the only ones which will cut out the engine.
The parking, and blade engaged switches prevent engine start up.
It's not clear in his post but it sounds as if the engine cranks.
That would eliminate parking and blade engaged as problems.

You are correct. I was thinking along the lines that it simply wouldn't
start. Looking at his original comment, if it was running and died, it
isn't likely to be a parking or blade safety switch. I HAVE replaced
the seat switch for a friend... so they do indeed malfunction.