Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Standard thread for overflow plate trim screw?

Before I run to the store and buy a whole kit and/or have to wait until I have access to a tap and die set, does anyone know what thread the typical overflow drain trim screw thread is?

I'm looking at something like this

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/drain...overflowplates

01002 (plate)
01024 (screw)
11641 (adapter bar)

What is installed is identical in appearance to the parts shown in the link above with the exception of the lack of the wording "WATCO" (it even has the stamped "CLEANOUT" on the overflow plate.)

basically, I need to remove this and re-gasket it as someone took a big deep bath where the water hit the overflow and caused a leak. However when attempting to remove the plate, the screw is completely destroyed - once I backed it out a little bit the diameter is so completely destroyed by rust that it won't screw out any more so will need to be cut.

I was going to replace it with either a chrome plated brass (if I can find one) or stainless steel screw to allow more easy serviceability in the future, but need to have the new screw on hand so as not to leave an exposed overflow while sourcing same which will likely cause issues with the design department.

I'm assuming that this is a standard thread - maybe 10-24? - but don't know what it is not being a plumber.

I'm hoping that HD or Lowe's will have the screw but I'm not counting on it, probably going to have to order from McMaster...

thanks

Nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:44:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:44:20 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

[...]

10-24 would be my guess based on the screw part number. The only other
likely size would be 1/4-20

Unless this is a Chinese part, then it is commie metric. Something
like 5mm x 0.8

After poking around some more I'm guessing that it's probably 1/4-20. Now to find a source that isn't mail order (if that is at all possible)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should have several in your junk box!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hah! My junk box is big, but it ain't that big... I do have a pretty good assortment of stainless metric stuff, mostly socket head. Not so much SAE save for the typical Dorman assortment of zinc plated bolts.

Due to the death of the Real Hardware Store (tm) it appears that one really needs a fully stocked Pik-A-Nut rack in one's garage or spare room if one is to really do DIY repairs

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm hoping that HD or Lowe's will have the screw but I'm not counting on it, probably going to have to order from McMaster...

thanks

Nate,

Do you have a local: Ferguson?

Largest distributor of Plumbing supplies and PVF
Headquartered out of Newport News, VA
1350 locations
Serving customers in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and
Mexico

..... try your own Zip Code. And buy local.

http://www.ferguson.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message

10-24 would be my guess based on the screw part number. The only other
likely size would be 1/4-20

Unless this is a Chinese part, then it is commie metric. Something
like 5mm x 0.8

After poking around some more I'm guessing that it's probably 1/4-20.
Now to find a source that isn't mail order (if that is at all possible)

How anybody gets 1/4-20 from "01024" is a mystery to me. I'd be going to
Ace, HD, Lowes, etc to get a couple of 10-24 bolts.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2014 2:53 PM, N8N wrote:

After poking around some more I'm guessing

that it's probably 1/4-20. Now to find a source
that isn't mail order (if that is at all possible)

nate

I'd bring the parts you already have, and go to
a small town hardware. Many have brass screws,
which will be less likely to corrode in your
wet environment.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dadiOH, Matthew Mcdonald wrote:
I ended up needing 1/4"-24...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ew-812145-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2019 9:14 PM, Matthew Mcdonald wrote:
replying to dadiOH, Matthew Mcdonald wrote:
I ended up needing 1/4"-24...

Â* That's quite odd , not a standard thread . Standard in 1/4" are 20TPI
NC and 28TPI NF . I have heard of 1/4-24 in some rifle action screws but
that's about it . The antique brass overflow fitting I have out in the
shop (awaiting melting to be cast into a knife blade guard or maybe a
pommel) uses a pair of 1/4-20's .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old