Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Labor Day

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out. I'm not a flag waver, but do make it point to put ours up at least on what I consider the more important days - Labor Day being one of them.

I'm just wondering -- did anyone else notice more or less flags up than normal.

I'm sure everyone except me will put one up on Sept 11. I'm not a big fan of looking back on one of the most glaring examples of our government's ineptitude. Same for Dec 7 -- another tremendous tragedy, but another bad example to learn from and move on.

If we are going to annually celebrate failures, let's not forget Being Tricked into Going to Vietnam Day, Kicked Out of Vietnam Day, Kicked Out of Korea Day, Abandonment of Taiwan Day, Screwing up Iraq Day, etc....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out.

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which it's traditional to
display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are Memorial Day, Flag Day,
Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 12:05:07 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out. I'm not a flag waver, but do make it point to put ours up at least on what I consider the more important days - Labor Day being one of them.

Maybe you should consider waving our flag more often. The colors do
not run, each color has an explanation.

ISIS is coming to plant a black flag atop the White House.

What is your plan then or now? Welcome them, hug them and then bake
them a cake?!

"you libs"
--
I like Guns and Titties
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 14:18:48 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which it's traditional to
display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are Memorial Day, Flag Day,
Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1

6. (d) The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on New Year’s Day, January 1; Inauguration Day, January 20; Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, third Monday in January; Lincoln’s Birthday, February 12; Washington’s Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother’s Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father’s Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

Dig a little deeper. When and how flags are displayed during town
parades and the direction the Flag is pointed, direction of the
colors, etc.. How they are displayed and the direction of parts of the
flag.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/02/2014 5:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Doug wrote in message ...
"Guv wrote in
m:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out.

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which it's traditional to
display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are Memorial Day, Flag Day,
Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...

Most folks never heard of CFR in general, what more know there's
actually a regulation concerning same. "Custom" goes far deeper than law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 14:44:39 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

[...]

Dig for it yourself if you want to know about it.

I have. Been there and done that. Tell us which direction the stars
point over a local town parade over a street and hanging over the
street.

Dig a little deeper!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Figure out why my replies are before your posted time. Come back with
a solution. Fix that. We can talk about flags and what you did not
figure out or answer my point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:10:10 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Dig for it yourself if you want to know about it.

I have. Been there and done that. Tell us which direction the stars
point over a local town parade over a street and hanging over the
street.

Dig a little deeper!

Not interested. I'm only talking about what the flag stands for and displaying it to show respect for forefathers, veterans, working people, etc.

I know. Will you fix the time on your computer, so my reply doesn't
show 58 minutes before you posted?? Fix that and we can have a
discussion on our Flag.?

I happen to know about "show respect for forefathers, veterans,
working people".

Thanks for sharing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:17:00 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Dig for it yourself if you want to know about it.

Figure out why my replies are before your posted time. Come back with
a solution. Fix that. We can talk about flags and what you did not
figure out or answer my point.

OK. Wait right there and don't move until I answer your questions.

You can't figure it out. Avoided my point that everybody that replies
to you is on time and you are 58 minutes late. Fix your computer so we
can have a chronological discussion on Flags.

I'm not the first to mention this to you. People hate posting that
shows 58 minutes, before you ever post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 09/02/2014 5:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Doug wrote in message ...
"Guv wrote in
m:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out.

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which it's traditional to
display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are Memorial Day, Flag Day,
Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...

Most folks never heard of CFR in general, what more know there's
actually a regulation concerning same. "Custom" goes far deeper than law.

Yes, that's true. I was surprised myself that the CFR actually lists so many days. I was expecting only a list of federal holidays. Never heard of anyone putting the flag out for Mothers Day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And put this holiday on your flag calendar for next year...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXzzAMU9Zo

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out.

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which

it's traditional to
display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are

Memorial Day, Flag Day,
Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...

.... none of which is relevant to when it's *traditional* to display the flag. Most people decide
whether to put a flag out, or not, based on custom and tradition, not on the CFR.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv Bob View Post
4 U.S. Code Chapter 1 - THE FLAG | LII / Legal Information Institute

[...]
That can't be real. They're missing:

January 8th - In 1935, Elvis' Birthday

July 21 - in 1969, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the Moon.

August 12 - In 1981, IBM distributes a press release to announce it's newest and least expensive computer system; the IBM 5150, a computer powered by the Intel 8088 CPU and using an enhanced version of the Microsoft BASIC operating system called "DOS". With a price tag of just $1565 $US, it was the first true computer marketed to the general public.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote
[...]

"Oren" wrote
Dig a little deeper. When and how flags are displayed during town
parades and the direction the Flag is pointed, direction of the
colors, etc.. How they are displayed and the direction of parts of the
flag.

Dig for it yourself if you want to know about it.

Figure out why my replies are before your posted time. Come back with
a solution. Fix that. We can talk about flags and what you did not

Maybe he can fix his line-wrap while he's at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2014 5:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

I haven't been able to figure out why a lot of those days
are flag days. New Year? Easter? Christmas? Mothers Day?
Fathers Day? None of those is a day to celebrate our
country.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:10:59 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
"Guv Bob" wrote in

m:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

"Guv Bob" wrote in

m:

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out.

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which

it's traditional to

display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are

Memorial Day, Flag Day,

Independence Day, and Veterans Day.

[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...

... none of which is relevant to when it's *traditional* to display the flag. Most people decide

whether to put a flag out, or not, based on custom and tradition, not on the CFR.

I agree. Anyone that expects to see as many flags flying on Labor Day or
Mother's Day as on July 4th, is nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:

August 12 - In 1981, IBM distributes a press release to announce it's
newest and least expensive computer system; the IBM 5150, a computer
powered by the Intel 8088 CPU and using an enhanced version of the
Microsoft BASIC operating system called "DOS". With a price tag of just
$1565 $US, it was the first true computer marketed to the general
public.

Do you fly the flag at half staff that day? It certainly was a black day in
the history of computing.

Senior Member

Actually, I'd be disappointed not to see LOTS MORE American flags flying on September 11th and December 7th than on Mother's day, Easter or Christmas.

Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas have nothing at all to do with patriotism or American history whereas September 11th and Pearl Harbour ARE American history. If you have a flag, flying it on September 11th and December 7th makes sense. Flying it on Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas instead is only going to make people wonder what the he11 you're doing and why.

Last edited by nestork : September 5th 14 at 04:24 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message ...

Actually, I'd be disappointed not to see LOTS MORE American flags flying
on September 11th and December 7th than on Mother's day, Easter or
Christmas.

Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas have nothing at all to do with
patriotism or American history whereas September 11th and Pearl Harbour
ARE American history. If you're going to fly a flag, fly it on
September 11th and December 7th instead of Mother's Day, Easter and
Christmas. Or, at least, that makes some kinda horse sense to me.

Me, I would put up a white surrender flag on Mother's Day.

I wonder how many people know what this flag is?
http://www.ultimateflags.com/images/...%2013%20md.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:38:50 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

I wonder how many people know what this flag is?
http://www.ultimateflags.com/images/...%2013%20md.jpg

First National Flag of the Confederate States of America (with 13
stars) - often called the "Stars and Bars", was flown from March 4,
1861 to May 1, 1863. Adopted in Montgomery, Alabama.

What do I win?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

come up with a plan, and then act on it.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA what a laugh the only plan he has is to go golfing and
raise more money in the process. His party is finally realizing they better
get away before the suction takes them under too.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder how many people know what this flag is?
http://www.ultimateflags.com/images/...%2013%20md.jpg

First National Flag of the Confederate States of America (with 13
stars) - often called the "Stars and Bars", was flown from March 4,
1861 to May 1, 1863. Adopted in Montgomery, Alabama.

What do I win?

No reply noted. Do you still "wonder"?

crickets

OT Labor Day -- why bother? Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 37 September 5th 14 09:09 PM
O/T: Free Labor Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 9 June 24th 11 07:12 PM
cheap labor Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 1 March 7th 08 05:02 AM
Labor Cost for .... Mo Thanku UK diy 9 October 16th 04 10:36 PM
Roofing labor Middleman Home Repair 11 October 10th 04 02:03 AM