Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bending aluminum

I want to bend a 3" long, 1/4" thick x 2" wide flat stock aluminum bar
to roughly a 7" radius "U" shape which will give me a 14" (ID) gap
between ends. I'm reading methods of bending aluminum and some say heat
while others say bend cold. Since it's not a tight bend, I would think
cold bending would be fine, but obviously uncertain. I'm also uncertain
if it's best to use 6061 aluminum or, as I read, a softer 5052 which is
easier to bend. The overall use will not reach the rated tensile and
yield strengths of either grade, therefore, the only issue is
price.....5052 is more expensive.

Anyone experienced with this type of work?

Thanks