Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well , kinda OT , kinda on

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if it's a
power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED replacement
backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I noticed small cracks in
the bottom edge of the acrylic ? backlight diffuser sheet . They just
happen to correspond to the dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm
wondering if there's anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks ,
thereby restoring the dark streaks to their former bright glory . Is crazy
glue compatiblte with most clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone or other
solvent on the crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten
longer-than-average life from this screen , but for around 20 bucks for the
kit I figgered it was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20 bucks poorer and
it's still dead - which is actually no biggie because my partner-in-life has
agreed that a new monitor is a valid use of tax refund monies and a new one
is on the way .
--
Snag
She wasn't so sure about the

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/20/2014 05:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty good at fixing things and often go to great lengths to fix
thing most people would toss...but if my monitor died, I'd just get a
new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Oh , I did , it's on it's way even as I type . But for 20 bucks I figger
it's worth a shot to try a repair . That screen , if it works when I'm done
, will be hooked to the "farm server" comp that will be set up out in my
shop . And if it doesn't work , well this one I'm using on my desktop will
suffice . CRT's ugh , but if that's all ya got ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have fixed several monitors with bad capacitors and/or blown output
transistors. All good results.
I tried to fix several with bad CCFL tubes. Much trickier. If you have
disassembled the screen to the point that you have free diffuser/polarizing
sheets, I think reassembly is problematic. Not sure what magic is needed
but I did not possess. My guess is that sealing the cracks will only make
things worse. As a spare monitor, probably somewhat useful with the streaks.
But you are at the learning stage so let us know how it comes out.

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
philo wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry,

Can you purchase a replacement diffuser? If not I'd look for a glue whch
will melt the crack together, Crazy Glue? Acetone?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in
:

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if
it's a
power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED replacement
backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I noticed small
cracks in the bottom edge of the acrylic ? backlight diffuser sheet
. They just happen to correspond to the dark streaks in the screen
pre-death . I'm wondering if there's anything I can use on that edge
to seal the cracks ,

There is a special glue filler made just for this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=screen+glue

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zaky Waky wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in
:

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if
it's a
power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED
replacement backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I
noticed small cracks in the bottom edge of the acrylic ?
backlight diffuser sheet . They just happen to correspond to the
dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm wondering if there's
anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks ,

There is a special glue filler made just for this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=screen+glue

Hmm , all the glues I saw at your link were to stick a new screen in
place - mostly on smart phones . I want to repair some cracks in the bottom
edge of the diffuser panel . They leave lines in the display beacause the
light is unevenly diffused . Not an earth-shaking event if I can't fix 'em ,
this monitor is probably going to live out in my shop on a server/storage
box .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I see LCD monitors at thrift shops all the time for $10-40. But I've still
picked up freebies and replaced a few capacitors to make them work fine. The one
I'm using now is a 27" Samsung that had a backlight problem I fixed by opening
it up and jiggleing the connectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

No thrift stores up here , but a LOT of "flea market" type shops for the
tourist trade . Can't say I've ever seen anything computer-related ... lotta
worn-out horseshoes and rusty block planes though ! This is a small town ,
and the nearest "big city" is , well , also a small town . Population in
Stone County is around 13,000 , mostly in small scattered farming
communities . And some of us just live out in the woods , not in a town .
--
Snag
Oh , and I ordered an LED backlight kit for that monitor

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:26:15 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

CRTs are fine if you don't have to move them. Mine are sitting where
they are until they die, except for the one on the floor which will
replace the one that dies, until it dies. I used to get them free.

The only problem now is that they are not wide, and this was getting to
be a problem until google.com moved its options from the right,
at-first-invisible side of the screen back to the right side of the left
2/3rds. So that's not a problem anymore.

Right now I'm using a visonics thin screen monitor, square, that a
neighbor threw in the trash, I don't know why.

And someone just gave me another square one that IS broken, but might
just need replacement caps, a guy at a hamfest said. There was a period
a few years ago when a lot of bad caps were sold to manufacturers, but
you can usually tell them because they're swollen upwards and the top,
which is scored in 3 sectors to begin with, is breaking open where it's
scored. This one says nothing when I turn it on for the first 10
seconds it's plugged in. Then it says "no signal" for the next minute,
and after that it says nothing and a faint white line appears at the
top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:41:12 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

I have fixed several monitors with bad capacitors and/or blown output
transistors. All good results.
I tried to fix several with bad CCFL tubes. Much trickier. If you have
disassembled the screen to the point that you have free diffuser/polarizing
sheets, I think reassembly is problematic. Not sure what magic is needed
but I did not possess. My guess is that sealing the cracks will only make
things worse.

I tend to think you can't make cracks disappear either. Certainly not
with glue inc. crazy glue, but maybe with a solvent like acetone. I
don't know how thick the plastic is but one small drop every inch or
half inch, for 1/8", more if it's thick.

As a spare monitor, probably somewhat useful with the streaks.
But you are at the learning stage so let us know how it comes out.

yes indeed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
This one says nothing when I turn
it on for the first 10 seconds it's plugged in. Then it says "no
signal" for the next minute, and after that it says nothing and a
faint white line appears at the top.

Mine just went dark one day . The light at the bottom still goes to green
when there's input , so I'm pretty sure the control board is OK . Got an LED
replacement backlight kit coming .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:28:37 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

micky wrote:
This one says nothing when I turn
it on for the first 10 seconds it's plugged in. Then it says "no
signal" for the next minute, and after that it says nothing and a
faint white line appears at the top.

Mine just went dark one day . The light at the bottom still goes to green
when there's input , so I'm pretty sure the control board is OK . Got an LED
replacement backlight kit coming .

Yeah, I red earlier. Good luck. Let us know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Yeah, I red earlier. Good luck. Let us know.

Me Green now. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Your kinda site! Buerste Metalworking 3 October 8th 10 03:48 PM
Kinda OT - Need Some Inspiration J T Woodworking 10 July 4th 07 01:38 AM
Er, Uh, Kinda important Matt Home Repair 58 July 28th 05 07:56 PM
Kinda OT question Ron Stitt Woodworking 2 March 8th 05 12:45 AM
OT kinda...? about posting [email protected] Woodworking 15 December 13th 04 05:22 PM