DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fluorescent shop light.....T8 vs T12....interchangeable? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/369623-fluorescent-shop-light-t8-vs-t12-interchangeable.html)

Norminn April 9th 14 01:21 PM

Fluorescent shop light.....T8 vs T12....interchangeable?

Bought a shop light, two bulb T8 for garden seedlings (indoors, of
course). The clerk told me that T12 bulbs will fit it, so I bought
them. It was an old guy and I figured he might know more than the
package instructions disclosed.....haven't opened the packaging yet, and
I suspect I should go back and get T8 bulbs. I don't know the
peculiarities of fluorescent bulbs/fixtures. Can I use the bulbs or do
I exchange them for T8?

John Grabowski April 9th 14 01:29 PM

Fluorescent shop light.....T8 vs T12....interchangeable?

Bought a shop light, two bulb T8 for garden seedlings (indoors, of
course). The clerk told me that T12 bulbs will fit it, so I bought them.
It was an old guy and I figured he might know more than the package
instructions disclosed.....haven't opened the packaging yet, and I suspect
I should go back and get T8 bulbs. I don't know the peculiarities of
fluorescent bulbs/fixtures. Can I use the bulbs or do I exchange them for
T8?

*It's not likely that the ballast will have a dual rating for T8 and T12.
Get rid of the T12's and use the T8's. I think the manufacturing of T12's
has stopped by now.

philo [_2_] April 9th 14 01:30 PM

On 04/09/2014 07:21 AM, Norminn wrote:
Bought a shop light, two bulb T8 for garden seedlings (indoors, of
course). The clerk told me that T12 bulbs will fit it, so I bought
them. It was an old guy and I figured he might know more than the
package instructions disclosed.....haven't opened the packaging yet, and
I suspect I should go back and get T8 bulbs. I don't know the
peculiarities of fluorescent bulbs/fixtures. Can I use the bulbs or do
I exchange them for T8?

They might fit OK but would require a different ballast transformer.

You do not want the old technology, go back and exchange them for the T8's