DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/368700-flight-mh370-disaster-new-theory-asphyxia-air-problems.html)

[email protected][_2_] March 13th 14 12:02 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:13:46 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:51:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 08:14:01 -0700, RobertMacy

wrote:

In early 60's a satellite could read the headlines of a paper lying on the

ground, so why is it so hard to NOT see this plane?

This region has to be one of the most monitored regions in the world.

"...China yesterday pressed ten high-resolution satellites to look for

the missing plane."

Read more at:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/31852827.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medi um=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Breaking News: "CHINESE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE SAYS IT HAS IMAGES OF

SUSPECTED DEBRIS OF MISSING MALAYSIA PLANE, AP REPORTS"

Details developing...Fox News reports.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/12/chinese-government-website-says-it-has-images-suspected-plane-debris/

This is a good shot of one pic of what the Chinese sat has:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/12/satelli...laysia-flight/

Looks like it could be the tail section. Again there is confusion over
exactly where, but it sounds like it was 140 miles east or northeast
from the last contact. This looks like it could be it. But the pics
are from Sunday, who knows where it is by now.

Oren[_2_] March 13th 14 12:15 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - news not

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:49:30 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

big snip

The media in Malaysia it mostly state-owned by government or political
parties. This puts a "chilling effect" on reporters.

Their version of MSNBC ?

No. MSLSD.

In other news: Barbara Walters hints she still enjoys sex.

Oren[_2_] March 13th 14 12:30 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote:

[...]

_Catherine Herridge has the latest developments_

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3331878148001/report-satellite-images-may-show-malaysia-airlines-plane/?playlist_id=930909819001#sp=show-clips

[email protected][_2_] March 13th 14 12:55 AM

wrote:

[...]

I found the long/lat that is being reported for the new sighting.
More confusion, media is saying it's northeast of the last known
position. The long/lat given comes up on Google maps as about 140 miles
*southeast* of the last contact. The pics were taken by sat on Sunday.
Wonder what the currents are there, ie could they have floated that
far and it really went in near last contact? And are they still there
now when they go looking for them. Seems incredible they could be that
close to the last contact on Sunday and the searched for them for two
days in the area in didn't see it.

But I'd say this sure looks highly likely to be it.

Robert Green March 13th 14 01:21 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Try it when you are reporting as "roaming" in SE Asia, then get back
to us.

Indeed. There are just so many legit explanations for why they might still
seem to be ringing that it's sad to see people reading anything into ring
counts on phone systems a world away.

The only roaming those phones are doing now is if they are in the bellies of
sharks consuming the remains of the passengers. T4 asked if this could get
any worse and I'm thinking - finding half eaten remains - that could be
worse. We have a number of different countries with a number of different
languages and that has contributed to a spotty search effort.

I remember the "con" job DC police pulled when they made a big show of
looking for Rep. Gary Condit's dead GF in Rock Creek Park. They drove up a
bus of academy cadets, set them to searching while the news cameras were
there and as soon as the news crews left, they called them back and went
home. Quite some time later (a year?) a guy walking his dog found her body
just off the trail but forensics was almost impossible because of the state
of decomp. Can't remember her name - want to say Monica Lewinsky but no -
wait - Chondra Levy. The tragedy is that if people thought the area was
unsearched, civilians might have discovered her body in time to exonerate
Condit, whose political career died with her. The law says "innocent until
proven guilty" but the reality is that for many it's "innocent until
accused."

While I doubt anyone would have been saved by a quicker search effort in
Malaysia, it's a reminder it's a very big world out there and there's an
enormous amount of debris bobbing about in the ocean.

I think Trader nailed it when he pointed out they lost the only piece of
wreckage that clearly looked like it was from a jet very early on. I'll bet
that's where the rest of the plane is and for some reason it went down
largely intact. If the fuselage was intact, the doors could easily pop open
from the increased pressure as the cabin deformed upon impact. They should
have put a radio buoy or even a regular one at the spot or recorded the GPS
location but I am betting they fly chickens around in those planes when
they're not using them for air/sea rescue.

Someone pointed out that Sully's plane sank very quickly and all in one
piece after his water landing. I would expect to have seen life rafts if
the pilots had managed a night time water landing without instrumentation,
engine power or both. But you never know. And collectively we may never
know if the voice recorders failed or can't be found. Every generation
needs a Flying Dutchman or Judge Crater or Amelia Earhardt story. Maybe
this is going to be the latest of its kind.

My current conclusion is still that it flew apart from structural issues
(the US spy sats didn't see a midair explosion). Its wing had been
previously repaired after a wingtip collision, Boeing just sent out a repair
bulletin on large cracks in the fuselage appearing in other 777's and not a
peep was heard from them ever again right after what was essentially their
first turn at high altitude.

One thing that bothers me about my own scenario is that the waters they flew
over are said to be fairly well populated by fishing boats and gas drilling
rigs. Someone should have noticed something. Another person postulated
that the lost both engines and were trying to restart them by "windmilling"
them back to life in a high speed dive and are rammed nose first in deep
silt somewhere. The information about the AF crash reveals the ocean comes
up awfully fast at night when your instruments are bad.

The AF crash was one of three recent crashes over water caused by faulty
airspeed indicators. I guess having three different pitot sensors isn't
really redundant enough. Scary thought. Probably need a completely
different sensing mechanism, like a lithium powered GPS system like the one
in my $45 TomTom GPS that nags me about my speeding.

--
Bobby G.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 13th 14 01:40 AM

On 3/12/2014 8:55 PM, wrote:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3331878148001/report-satellite-images-may-show-malaysia-airlines-plane/?playlist_id=930909819001#sp=show-clips

I found the long/lat that is being reported for the new sighting.
More confusion, media is saying it's northeast of the last known
position. The long/lat given comes up on Google maps as about 140 miles
*southeast* of the last contact. The pics were taken by sat on Sunday.
Wonder what the currents are there, ie could they have floated that
far and it really went in near last contact? And are they still there
now when they go looking for them. Seems incredible they could be that
close to the last contact on Sunday and the searched for them for two
days in the area in didn't see it.

But I'd say this sure looks highly likely to be it.

In a couple weeks, this is going to be interesting,
when it's solved.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected][_2_] March 13th 14 01:45 AM

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:21:12 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

Try it when you are reporting as "roaming" in SE Asia, then get back

to us.

Indeed. There are just so many legit explanations for why they might still

seem to be ringing that it's sad to see people reading anything into ring

counts on phone systems a world away.

The people reading into the ring counts should aren't here, they are in
Malaysia and China. Unless you have some bias against Asians, there is
no reason to think they don't know how sell phones behave over there.
But there are some here who don't, because I've heard several here now
incredulous that there could be any difference in how you here a cell
phone ring when you call it and it's on and in contact, versus when it's
turned off.

The only roaming those phones are doing now is if they are in the bellies of

sharks consuming the remains of the passengers.

Obviously you don't know that, because as of now, no one knows
where the plane is. It could be in a jungle.

T4 asked if this could get

any worse and I'm thinking - finding half eaten remains - that could be

worse. We have a number of different countries with a number of different

languages and that has contributed to a spotty search effort.

I doubt language has much to do with it at all. Vietnam for example has
said the Malaysian military has hardly contacted them at all.

[...]

Boeing said today that plane was not subject to the notice.

[...]

It appears there is a good chance China satellite has found the
wreckage. Check the latest news. As usual more confusion as to
where. They are saying it's 140 miles northeast of the last contact,
but by long/lat I saw, it's souteast. In any case it's about 140 miles
from last contact, at least that's where it was Sunday.... Wonder
what the currents are there, could it have floated there from the
last contact spot, etc.

[email protected] March 13th 14 01:54 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:46:52 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message news:ecdddfda-e79f-4c51-9d28-

stuff snipped

I don't see anyone saying cell phones work exactly the same all over
the world.

There's a pretty strong implication that you can read something out of the
scattered reports of grief-stricken people that some phones - probably from
a number of different carriers - are behaving oddly. Possible reasons -
journalists trying to hack them like the Murdoch newspapers in England did -
government agencies tracking them in case terrorism was involved - grief
stricken relatives dialing the wrong numbers - the possibilities are so
endless that to read something from them seems to really be grasping at
straws. If China's involved, you can bet someone's watching those phones
for anything that might involve terrorism.

If someone (like a journo trying to crack voicemail) was repeatedly dialing
a lost cell phone, isn't it possible that would affect what someone calling
in at the same time hears? So many possibilities other than "the phones are
still on - somewhere." I suppose the wish is that the plane is hijacked and
we'll get a ransom note one of these days but Occam's razor says: "Watery
grave" the most likely explanation.

A more newsworthy item would be a person who actually *talked* to a
passenger - not gotten what they believe to be an odd response from a phone
that's probably a few hundred feet over water. The phone "rang funny" just
doesn't seem to me to be indicative of anything, especially on phones that
have been transported from country to country.

But don't you think that people that have been using them
in Malaysia, China, etc know how they behave there?

Flights between countries with roaming and all sorts of odd cell phone
handoffs would lead me to believe that this is a cellular network issue, a
not an indication that anyone's still alive.

That includes some Malaysian Airline officials. They appear to be saying

that the cell
phones are ringing like they are on and in cell phone service.

Dude, my confidence in ANY sort of Malaysian official is probably at an all
time low. (-:

Can't you tell the difference on your phone?

I haven't dropped it in the ocean yet, where I am 80% confident that's where
the MH370 phones are. The other 20% is reserved for crashing on land
somewhere. If you believe the searchers, the crash site can't be in the
water. I don't remember what crash it was, but I do remember some plane
getting so thoroughly buried under silt it was nearly impossible to see from
the air.

If there is no cell phone service in an area the phone is in or
the phone is off, and you call it, what happens in
your experience? You can't tell the difference? The phone just
rings the same? With all the phones I've had, all the places I've
used them, I could tell a difference between how they behave when
called when the phone was off or on. The phone I have right now,
if it's on and I call it, I hear it ring 5 times, if it's not on
it goes to voicemail in 1.5 rings. I think that is what the people
over there are saying. There could be reasons, like everything else
in this story it could be misreported, etc, but I don't see why it
should be dismissed as nonsense because it's consistent with my
experience.

Your experience in America with a total of what, three carriers? These
systems are infinitely configurable. With the government and press both
likely to be snooping those numbers and the roaming issues, odd phone
behavior is dispostive of nothing, at least in my mind.

And it could be consistent with the other evidence too. They are
still searching boths sides and across the middle of Malaysia, no?
If crashed over land there is some chance some phones could have
survived. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's likely, but
neither do I think what the people are saying is completely nuts.

I don't think it likely either and I think it shows that when people are
starved for information about their probably deceased love ones, they will
grasp at any straw left to them. It's more a concern that these people are
giving themselves false hope. It would be worse if it turns out to be the
fault of snoops ringing those phones and trying to hack into their voicemail
systems. Given everything we know about the Chinese government and the
press, that's the most likely explanation of oddball ringing. I guess a
little false hope might soften the eventual blow the relatives of the
passengers will face.

As you've pointed out before, we've not got the world's "best and
brightest - or most truthful" working on the problem. I also read, I think
in BusinessWeek, that it would cost $300M per airline to build real-time
black box transmissions through a satelite link. Not gonna happen given how
few of these they drop that turn into mysteries. The bottom line is that a
777 is a big honkin' thing and while one might go missing for a while, it
can't *stay* missing.

Even when we have video of the crash, like TWA 800, the puzzle can be very
hard to solve. I saw video that sure as hell looked like a missile but I
also saw the reassembled wreckage that didn't support a missile strike. I
can easily see a president, R or D, deciding to conceal a terrorist attack
to prevent widespread panic. Not sure it happened there, but there's enough
meat to feed a small army of conspiracy theorists.

These phones will not be like your typical "american" phone. They
will definitely be GSM, not TDMA or CDMA. ( yes, GSM is starting to
become more common in the USA,but it is not the standard, as it is
virtually everywhere else in the world)

Robert Green March 13th 14 02:31 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:39:43 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message news:95b02554-320f-4775-ae05-

In the case of the ADS-B,
you have the plane making a final small turn to the right, just
like other flights on other days, then the data stops.

Another mark in the wing failure category. When you bank, it shifts the
load on the wing/fuselage connections and that's a very likely point of
failure. Was it the right wing tip that had been previously damaged? I
think so.

The MAF is now saying they tracked the plane for over an hour after it
turned around. If they had a decompression I would expect them to
quickly dive to 6000-8000 feet so they had enough air to survive.

They are starting to suggest it may have been a hijacking by the
flight crew.

They have moved the search to the Straight of Malacca and I suppose
the Indian Ocean.

My vote is that it's still where the transponder died and that the searchers
missed it. It may have landed on the water like Sully's plane and then just
slipped under, largely intact. From the latest news, (Chinese sat photos)
it seems it's just sitting in the ocean in big pieces right along the known
flight path. That many countries involved in a large search effort has all
the makings of a Mongolian Cluster Fu&.

--
Bobby G.

Oren[_2_] March 13th 14 02:42 AM

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:54:26 -0400, wrote:

These phones will not be like your typical "american" phone. They
will definitely be GSM, not TDMA or CDMA. ( yes, GSM is starting to
become more common in the USA,but it is not the standard, as it is
virtually everywhere else in the world)

Those protocols have been available in the USA for a number of years.
Mostly for travelers going abroad, using different networks.

Not sure how the phone transitions from GSM to the TDMA / CDMA
protocols?

Robert Green March 13th 14 02:54 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message

stuff snipped

I think the phone people could debunk this in 10 seconds but they do
not want to be the Debbie Downer who says this "ringing" thing does
not mean anything.

I am sure that at least the phones that were operating on China Mobile are
now being scoured for any trace of terrorism. China's got to be worried
that this is a terrorist attack aimed at them and we know they are very busy
beavers when it comes to spying, hacking, etc.

--
Bobby G.

[email protected] March 13th 14 02:55 AM

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:42:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:54:26 -0400, wrote:

These phones will not be like your typical "american" phone. They
will definitely be GSM, not TDMA or CDMA. ( yes, GSM is starting to
become more common in the USA,but it is not the standard, as it is
virtually everywhere else in the world)

Those protocols have been available in the USA for a number of years.
Mostly for travelers going abroad, using different networks.

Not sure how the phone transitions from GSM to the TDMA / CDMA
protocols?

GSM phomes generally do not work on tdma/cdma systems, and vise
versa. Complicating things, there are 4 frequencies for GSM - only 2
of which are used in North America, and the other two almost universal
elsewhere, so you need a "quad band" world phone for extensive travel.
My daughter had a 3 band GSM and was able to use it in large urban
centers in Rwanda, but not in the outlying aread which used the 4th
frequency.

Robert Green March 13th 14 03:02 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message news:b8e36d48-f33b-4936-981e-

stuff snipped

This is a good shot of one pic of what the Chinese sat has:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/12/satelli...laysia-flight/

Looks like it could be the tail section. Again there is confusion over
exactly where, but it sounds like it was 140 miles east or northeast
from the last contact. This looks like it could be it. But the pics
are from Sunday, who knows where it is by now.

I doubt it's very far from where it was all along - where the searchers
missed it. If there was substantial enough floating wreckage, it will still
be there or at least the currents will be predictable enough to figure out
where it drifted to.

As for radar trails heading off in different directions, they get bogies on
radar all the time. Who knows if they were tracking an errant weather
balloon or just a radar ghost the turn-around radar traces.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 13th 14 04:10 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message

stuff snipped

These phones will not be like your typical "american" phone. They
will definitely be GSM, not TDMA or CDMA. ( yes, GSM is starting to
become more common in the USA,but it is not the standard, as it is
virtually everywhere else in the world)

Then there's that, too. One thing AHR has taught me is that what I know to
be "commonplace and customary" here in DC ain't that way across the nation
or the world. Houses without basements are unusual to my way of thinking
but standard in plenty of places.

There are at least 10 carriers that might have provided cell phone service
to those passengers that I could find. Maybe more. I am sure the don't all
behave the same way. I am also sure those numbers are under watch by the
PLA, assorted journalists and hackers and God knows who else since the
crash. I just can't put much weight to the fact that the telephones seem to
be ringing "oddly."

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 13th 14 10:18 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

stuff snipped

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Seems there's no one home. Couldn't even read the page source.

Something's not quite right... - Tomnod
www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014 - Cached
Something's not quite right... Tomnod is experiencing technical
difficulties. We
apologize. We're poking our servers with pointy sticks to figure out what's
wrong.

Says Google when entering the URL in the search box.

--
Bobby G.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 13th 14 12:18 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On 3/12/2014 9:45 PM, wrote:
(And,I know how to snip....)

It appears there is a good chance China satellite has found the
wreckage. Check the latest news. As usual more confusion as to
where. They are saying it's 140 miles northeast of the last contact,
but by long/lat I saw, it's souteast. In any case it's about 140 miles
from last contact, at least that's where it was Sunday.... Wonder
what the currents are there, could it have floated there from the
last contact spot, etc.

Does air plane debris float around? I'd
expect most of it to sink immediately.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Home Guy[_3_] March 13th 14 01:07 PM

Robert Green wrote:

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Seems there's no one home. Couldn't even read the page source.

I got the same error last night.

Then I renamed my HOSTS file, closed the browser and tried again - and
it worked.

There was something in my HOSTS file that prevented the page from
operating correctly.

I spent about 1/2 hour looking at images of dark blue water and clouds.
Scanned about 400 grid locations - didn't see anything man-made (no
boats, nothing). Each grid image seemed to be about 2000 x 1000 ft, and
anything 10 x 10 ft would be easily distinguishable, possibly something
5 x 5. About 10 to 15% of the imagery was obscured by clouds. I
eventually got bored and left the site.

What I would have liked to have seen was a graphic showing me the area I
was looking at in terms of where the beacon signal was lost off the
coast of Malaysia.

Kurt Ullman March 13th 14 01:24 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Someone pointed out that Sully's plane sank very quickly and all in one
piece after his water landing. I would expect to have seen life rafts if
the pilots had managed a night time water landing without instrumentation,
engine power or both. But you never know. And collectively we may never
know if the voice recorders failed or can't be found. Every generation
needs a Flying Dutchman or Judge Crater or Amelia Earhardt story. Maybe
this is going to be the latest of its kind.

Sully's plane did not impact from 35K either and stayed intact. The
main reason it sank so quickly was because they opened up the doors to
let people out.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Norminn March 13th 14 01:29 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On 3/10/2014 11:51 PM, Home Guy wrote:
There was a suprising number of planes in the air around Malaysia at 1
am local time.

-------------
A pilot flying another plane who tried to contact the pilots in the
cockpit of the Malaysia Airlines plane said he heard mumbled voices
before contact was lost.
-------------

So another theory: Something went wrong with the cabin air inside the
plane. Either it lost pressurization (slowly) or recirculation wasn't
working - causing buidup of carbon monoxide.

---------------
On October 25, 1999, a chartered Learjet 35 was scheduled to fly from
Orlando, Florida to Dallas, Texas. Early in the flight the aircraft,
which was cruising at altitude on autopilot, quickly lost cabin
pressure. All on board were incapacitated due to hypoxia — a lack of
oxygen. The aircraft failed to make the westward turn toward Dallas over
north Florida. It continued flying over the southern and midwestern
United States for almost four hours and 1,500 miles (2,400 km). The
plane ran out of fuel and crashed into a field near Aberdeen, South
Dakota after an uncontrolled descent. The four passengers on board were
golf star Payne Stewart, his agents, Van Ardan and Robert Fraley, and
Bruce Borland, a highly regarded golf architect with the Jack Nicklaus
golf course design company.

The NTSB determined that:

The probable cause of this accident was incapacitation of the
flight crew members as a result of their failure to receive
supplemental oxygen following a loss of cabin pressurization,
for undetermined reasons.

A possible explanation for the failure of the pilots to receive
emergency oxygen is that their ability to think and act decisively was
impaired because of hypoxia before they could don their oxygen masks. No
definitive evidence exists that indicates the rate at which the accident
flight lost its cabin pressure; therefore, the Safety Board evaluated
conditions of both rapid and gradual depressurization.

If there had been a breach in the fuselage (even a small one that could
not be visually detected by the in-flight observers) or a seal failure,
the cabin could have depressurized gradually, rapidly, or even
explosively. Research has shown that a period of as little as 8 seconds
without supplemental oxygen following rapid depressurization to about
30,000 feet (9,100 m) may cause a drop in oxygen saturation that can
significantly impair cognitive functioning and increase the amount of
time required to complete complex tasks.
----------------

So either MH370 depressurized quickly - or slowly.

The pilots might have been able to put their masks on - or realize they
needed to put their masks on.

Perhaps they did - but their supplemental oxygen supply didn't work.

Perhaps in their confused state, with or without functional masks, they
started an emergency descent before they blacked out, causing the plane
to smash into the ocean with the pilots incapacitated on the way down.

Note also that in the flight of the Lear Jet in 1999 that the pilots,
even if they did don their masks, made no attempt at radio contact.

After all the changes in theories and discalimers about what is known,
I'm thinking someone hijacked the plane and has some super-hackers
messing with electronics and data systems. Not that I know anything
about flight electronics.

Oren[_2_] March 13th 14 03:42 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:40:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

In a couple weeks, this is going to be interesting,
when it's solved.

It gets stranger, now.

"...Chinese satellite images that were said to show debris from a
missing Malaysian airliner were released by mistake, Malaysia's
transport minister says.

Hishammuddin Hussein also denied a US report that the Boeing 777 might
have flown for hours after contact with air traffic control was lost."

(Rolls-Royce, engine maker, had reported the engines sent data for 4-5
hours after contact was lost)

[...]

"Mr Hussein also denied a report in the Wall Street Journal that the
plane had sent engine data to the ground for more than four hours
after it lost contact with air traffic control.

He said that his team had spoken to Malaysian Airlines and
Rolls-Royce, the engine's manufacturers, who both said the report was
"inaccurate".

BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26559627

Robert Green March 13th 14 06:04 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Someone pointed out that Sully's plane sank very quickly and all in one
piece after his water landing. I would expect to have seen life rafts

if
the pilots had managed a night time water landing without

instrumentation,
engine power or both. But you never know. And collectively we may

never
know if the voice recorders failed or can't be found. Every generation
needs a Flying Dutchman or Judge Crater or Amelia Earhardt story. Maybe
this is going to be the latest of its kind.

Sully's plane did not impact from 35K either and stayed intact. The
main reason it sank so quickly was because they opened up the doors to
let people out.

Correct - 370 would have had a lot *more* time than Sully had to ditch. g

I doubt that if 370 DID ditch that people would have remained aboard without
opening the doors to try to escape. But it's pretty unlikely they made a
water landing late at night without instruments. I'm just trying to cover
all contingencies that could account for very little surface wreckage, other
than search incompetence. That's still my "go to" position.

Today's red herring is the data RollsRoyce says it was still collecting
hours after many people think the plane crashed. This 777's going to have a
lot of explaining to do when they finally find the wreckage. It took 2
years for them to find the AirFrance black boxes and "close" that case.
Let's hope this isn't resolved in the same, slow painful way.

--
Bobby G.

Tekkie® March 13th 14 11:49 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - news not

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

big snip

The media in Malaysia it mostly state-owned by government or political
parties. This puts a "chilling effect" on reporters.

Their version of MSNBC ?

No. MSLSD.

In other news: Barbara Walters hints she still enjoys sex.

Good for her! Maybe it keeps her mouth shut? Probably BOB (battery operated
boyfriend) She was tagging Greenspan wasn't she; the rise and fall of the
experience. Castro had international relations.

--
Tekkie

0ren March 14th 14 12:10 AM

On 03/13/2014 08:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does air plane debris float around? I'd
expect most of it to sink immediately.

I'd expect the flotation device under each seat to float. ;-)

Oren[_2_] March 14th 14 12:34 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:29:24 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

After all the changes in theories and discalimers about what is known,
I'm thinking someone hijacked the plane and has some super-hackers
messing with electronics and data systems. Not that I know anything
about flight electronics.

Hacking the computers was discussed the other day in one report.
Talking about manipulating the GPS. Taking control of the entire
system communications was dismissed by "experts".

Complexity, redundant systems and all, it makes sense for now nothing
was "hacked".

Oren[_2_] March 14th 14 12:53 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 08:18:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Does air plane debris float around? I'd
expect most of it to sink immediately.

Yes. Your expectations are limited. Something on a 240 ton plane
floats. Use your imagination for a moment.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 14th 14 01:21 AM

On 3/13/2014 8:10 PM, 0ren wrote:
On 03/13/2014 08:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does air plane debris float around? I'd
expect most of it to sink immediately.

I'd expect the flotation device under each seat to float. ;-)

Well, if they were made in USA, perhaps.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Robert Green March 14th 14 02:20 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

wrote in message news:69ec0639-6689-409d-90a1-

stuff snipped about FAA 777 "crack" directive"

Yes, I had seen that same report. Some more good questions that should be
asked and answered, ie was this plane checked for that possible defect?

They talked about corrosion, too, and that's probably something that has a
strong correlation to the conditions of the route the plane most often
travels. They seem to correlate these defects strongly with age, but I'll
bet the environmental conditions could either advance or retard when the
corrosion might appear.

I've also seen where Boeing says that the plane was not part of their
data logging that they offer airlines. Apparently the onboard ACRS?
sends maintenance, performance data back, similar to Airbus that went
down near Brazil. But Malaysian airlines chose not to participate in
Boeings data collection, but Boeing says MA did use the system themselves.
From what I've read, MA hasn't directly answered the question of when
the last data from that was received, etc.

I've read about half a dozen conflicting stories about data logging both by
Rolls, who made the engines, and Boeing and while the reports are
interesting they seem at the moment to be fairly inconclusive at best and
conflicting at worst. One thing that caught my eye was a story about how
the two different reporting systems seem to have been switched off at
separate times. A fire eating through the wiring can cause the same kind of
symptoms, though, as it move along conduits and equipment bays.

This is the most confused, screwed up investigation that I've ever
seen. They've switched major parts of the story so many times now
that the Malaysian officials need to hold a major press conference,
release more information and clear things up.

They have zero credibility with me now. I'll concede that the plane may
have been hijacked and could be *anywhere* its remaining fuel might take it.
The problem with that scenario is that someone should have gotten a strong
radar fix on it somewhere - other than the Malaysian authorities. I still
think the search was so badly botched that it's where the transponder
tracking stopped. The Chinese seem to have retracted their satellite photos
according to something I just read so we're still in the "data collection"
phase trying to evaluate what's likely from what's not.

What needs to happen is that fake "Transponder OFF" switches need to go into
these cabins so that when someone tries to turn it off (why they even CAN be
turned off is another issue) they send out an emergency beacon and light up
flashing lights on the airplane roof that satellites might be able to track
at night. The school buses around here can do that, why not a 777?

Of huge significance
is on what exactly are they basing the ever changing story of the

continued
radar tracking of the plane after it dropped off ATC. They should
just release the radar returns, at least to enough international
experts, so that there is some more credibility to where the plane
might have gone. At first thought, you'd think that the military
probably doesn't want to disclose what they can or can't see on radar.

I think that's a remarkably strong concern to them. What bothers me more is
that if they were so lax in checking passports, how well did they screen the
luggage for explosives? Did they cut corners there, too? If it was a
terrorist attack, there would most likely be more than two people to seize
and maintain control of the plane and passengers. I would hope they are
really screening the passenger manifest for questionable flyers.

But at this point I think it's obvious that you could fly a 777 over
their airspace and they don't know WTF is going on, so it would seem
releasing more descriptive information as to what exactly they have on
radar would be better than looking like total idiots. Last I heard
on this was that they were back to saying that all they had was some
kind of radar data right after the last known ATC radar, that showed
it "might have" changed direction. Yet the day before, two high ranking
AF officials said that they tracked the plane all the way to the
Straits of Malacca. Curiously, that would be about the two hour flight
time that the airline, Malaysian officials all were giving out for
two days.

I don't think any of their reports are credible anymore. Which leaves us
with questions like why did the transponder fail just as the plane began to
change course? I think from the Flight24 radar guys analysis (who don't
have political considerations) we can be pretty sure that's an "unfiltered"
fact. That's what leads me to think structural failure.

Wouldn't hijackers want to start off toward their destination as soon as
possible? Hijacking or suicide crash dives are possibilities, but hijacking
requires considerable sophistication and the newest information implies they
would know how to turn off both transmitters. While we already know that
terrorists have this level of sophistication (they did it on 9/11) why has
no one taken credit?

I say the odds are still that it went down off Kota Bharu where
contact was lost 40 mins into the flight from some sudden catastrophic
event.

We agree on that. I am pretty sure we saw wreckage (the door) but
incompetent searchers lost it. When you saw it there wasn't much doubt what
it was, unlike oil slicks and log rafts that were sighted.

I'm still suspicous of those two Iranians too, while it seems
investigators are downplaying it as they were just two more illegal
immigrants. We know a good bit about one, but I haven't seen anything
about the other. And the guy who dropped them off at the airport
says they only had only a backpack and two laptops? If you were going
to Europe for good, wouldn't you have some real luggage? This guy
knew the one guy from school, the other he didn't know at all. They
stayed at his house overnight, yet he says he didn't ask them why
they were in Malaysia? They got these fake passports from this
mysterious guy "Ali" who I believe is Iranian? Wonder where they
got the laptops from?

Remember that Lockerbie's bomb was taken aboard by a woman who had no idea
it was a bomb. Any passenger could have been duped into bringing a device
onto the plane, or had a luggage switch pulled on them. I really wonder how
well they screen for explosives.

The US said it detected no mid-air explosions but entire explosion could
have been contained within the airplane, invisible to satellite surveillance
and yet done enough damage (the way the Lockerbie bomb did) to sever cables
and destroy electrical and comms equipment. It could have been the Uighurs
(pronounced "Wheat germs g") and their intention was to crash the plane
into a high profile target in Beijing.

Still, the simplest explanation is that it crashed where the Flight24 track
ends and the wreckage has yet to be found. Given the less than stellar
quality of information coming out of the concerned parties, I still lean
toward incompetent searching that "cleared" an area that shouldn't have
been. I just have a feeling one day soon we'll wake up to headlines "Crash
site found!"

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 14th 14 07:04 AM

wrote in message news:595e562b-09b8-43f7-ac6a-

The people reading into the ring counts should aren't here, they are in
Malaysia and China. Unless you have some bias against Asians, there is
no reason to think they don't know how sell phones behave over there.
But there are some here who don't, because I've heard several here now
incredulous that there could be any difference in how you here a cell
phone ring when you call it and it's on and in contact, versus when it's
turned off.

I admit that's the way they behave here but people are reading way too much
into this:

That ringing sound to which we're so accustomed is actually a
psychological trick, meant to keep us on the line while the network works to
locate the other phone. "The ringing sound is generated by the originating
carrier's switch while the network sets up the call," a spokesperson for
CTIA-The Wireless Association told Mashable.
"This keeps callers from abandoning the call when they hear no sound. The
ringing sound has nothing to do with the actual 'ringing' of the called
party's device," he added.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/11/why-m...s-phones-ring/

The only roaming those phones are doing now is if they are in the

bellies of
sharks consuming the remains of the passengers.

Obviously you don't know that, because as of now, no one knows
where the plane is. It could be in a jungle.

Not much cell coverage or roaming in a jungle, either. Especially one
remote enough to have a 777 crash in it and have no one notice . . .

T4 asked if this could get
any worse and I'm thinking - finding half eaten remains - that could be
worse. We have a number of different countries with a number of

different
languages and that has contributed to a spotty search effort.

I doubt language has much to do with it at all. Vietnam for example has
said the Malaysian military has hardly contacted them at all.

Well, there might not be much contact *because* there's a language problem
and hence not much to talk about. Whether language is the reason or not,
there's not much apparent cooperation among search entities.

[...]

Latest I read is that for some reason, China is now retracting their
satellite photo info - reasons unclear but I haven't checked Google for the
last twenty minutes.

--

Bobby G.

Home Guy[_3_] March 14th 14 01:09 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

Robert Green wrote:

Apparently the onboard ACRS? sends maintenance, performance data
back, similar to Airbus that went down near Brazil. But Malaysian
airlines chose not to participate in Boeings data collection,
but Boeing says MA did use the system themselves.

It's not clear if the choice to not buy the data collection service from
Boeing means that telemetry (to who? to where?) still takes place.

Presumably MA wouldn't need a telemetry link for such data, as they
could simply pull the data off the planes manually when-ever they felt
like it - since the planes are in their possession on a frequent basis.

What needs to happen is that fake "Transponder OFF" switches need
to go into these cabins so that when someone tries to turn it off
(why they even CAN be turned off is another issue)

The "off" switch is used routinely to turn off the transponder when
planes are on the ground (parked, in hangars, etc) so that ATC screens
are not cluttered by useless information.

It's a tough call as to how to make them automatic. I'd say that if an
interlock can be reasonably well engineered, that if the plane's wheels
are up, then the beacons are supplied by power that can't be turned off
from the cockpit.

I think that's a remarkably strong concern to them. What bothers
me more is that if they were so lax in checking passports,
how well did they screen the luggage for explosives?

Bulletproof passport checking requires real-time data and protocal links
to every conceivable authority in the world that can issue an opinion
about any given passport, and the cost to "subscribe" or participate in
such a network must have little or zero cost to end users (airlines,
airports) if stakeholders (gov'ts, law enforcement, societies) want to
experience 100% compliance everywhere.

And it must happen in a way that does not require humans to do more
things than they do now (press more buttons, flip through more screens,
etc) and a lack of data must not be interpreted as a "thumbs-down" which
causes a holdup during checkin or boarding. The implimentation and
day-to-day functioning of such a system requires talents and cooperation
that extend far beyond the staff at any given airport or boarding gate.

To link the competency of such passport checking (which is a distributed
human effort) to the competency of explosive checking (which is an
effort soley performed by specific local humans at any given location)
is not logical.

Wouldn't hijackers want to start off toward their destination as
soon as possible? Hijacking or suicide crash dives are possibilities,
but hijacking requires considerable sophistication and the newest
information implies they would know how to turn off both transmitters.

Hijack - implies taking control of the plane away from the pilots, with
several possible intentions:

- (a) Direct or fly the plane safely to an alternate location that
the hijackers could not otherwise travel to using legal means.

- (b) Direct of fly the plane safely to an alternate location to
hold the plane and passengers hostage in exchange for some
political or financial demand.

- (c) Direct or fly the plane into a target (a-la 9/11). In other
words, to use the plane as a weapon against a hardened target
for political or religious reasons.

For any of the above, it becomes a question as to how necessary it is to
turn off the plane's various transmission sources to render it
"invisible" from normal ground operations. Presumably the thinking is
that any plane that has been hijacked anywhere in the world for any
reason will be shot down as the primary response, so the best
countermeasure for the hijacker is to make the plane as invisible as
possible as soon as possible after the hijacking event has started.

We know (or we think we know) that the plane was not deemed to have been
hijacked and thus not shot down by any gov't in the area. We think we
know that the plane did not land at an alternate airport, and no ransom
demand was made (or at least made public).

If the plane went down due to a struggle for control as a result of
hijacking, we must conclude the initial stages of the hijacking was
successful as it probably entailed turning off the identification beacon
- something that would imply the hijackers had "comfortable control" of
the plane. A struggle for control of the plane would have happened
later - possibly hours later - presumably after passengers had come to a
consensus about the situation, gathered their courage, forumated plan,
etc.

Kurt Ullman March 14th 14 01:28 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

In article , Home Guy "Home"@Guy. com
wrote:

What needs to happen is that fake "Transponder OFF" switches need
to go into these cabins so that when someone tries to turn it off
(why they even CAN be turned off is another issue)

It's a tough call as to how to make them automatic. I'd say that if an
interlock can be reasonably well engineered, that if the plane's wheels
are up, then the beacons are supplied by power that can't be turned off
from the cockpit.

I wonder if there is any reason they couldn't share a circuit with the
flight recorders since they already automatically turn off on the
ground.

Bulletproof passport checking requires real-time data and protocal links
to every conceivable authority in the world that can issue an opinion
about any given passport, and the cost to "subscribe" or participate in
such a network must have little or zero cost to end users (airlines,
airports) if stakeholders (gov'ts, law enforcement, societies) want to
experience 100% compliance everywhere.

And the zero cost includes not only access but also pretty close to zero
costs for airline personnel and equipment, and hassle. It would seem as
though you would pretty much have to mandate it by ALL airlines from ALL
terminals for it to possibly work. At least until the first time a
person isn't let on an airplane because somebody somewhere transposed to
digit or two on data entry.

For any of the above, it becomes a question as to how necessary it is to
turn off the plane's various transmission sources to render it
"invisible" from normal ground operations. Presumably the thinking is
that any plane that has been hijacked anywhere in the world for any
reason will be shot down as the primary response, so the best
countermeasure for the hijacker is to make the plane as invisible as
possible as soon as possible after the hijacking event has started.

But at least for most likely targets, we'll use the G-8 for short
hand purposes, the lack of a transponder would not make it all that
invisible to the military folks and lack of transponder alone would
probably bring out the fighters.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein

Home Guy[_3_] March 14th 14 02:11 PM

Kurt Ullman wrote:

But at least for most likely targets, we'll use the G-8 for short
hand purposes, the lack of a transponder would not make it all that
invisible to the military folks and lack of transponder alone would
probably bring out the fighters.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...ries-added-mix

=========
The last plot on the military radar's tracking suggested the plane was
flying toward India's Andaman Islands, a chain of isles between the
Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal, they said.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...timeline_0.jpg

The last sighting of the aircraft on civilian radar screens came shortly
before 1:30 a.m. Malaysian time last Saturday (1730 GMT Friday), less
than an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur, as the plane flew
northeast across the mouth of the Gulf of Thailand. That put the plane
on Malaysia's east coast.

Malaysia's air force chief said on Wednesday an aircraft that could have
been the missing plane was plotted on military radar at 2:15 a.m., 200
miles northwest of Penang Island off Malaysia's west coast. This
position marks the limit of Malaysia's military radar in that part of
the country, a fourth source familiar with the investigation told
Reuters.

When asked about the range of military radar at a news conference on
Thursday, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said it was
"a sensitive issue" that he was not going to reveal.

They also gave new details on the direction in which the unidentified
aircraft was heading - following aviation corridors identified on maps
used by pilots as N571 and P628. These routes are taken by commercial
planes flying from Southeast Asia to the Middle East or Europe and can
be found in public documents issued by regional aviation authorities.

In a far more detailed description of the military radar plotting than
has been publicly revealed, the first two sources said the last
confirmed position of MH370 was at 35,000 feet about 90 miles off the
east coast of Malaysia, heading towards Vietnam, near a navigational
waypoint called "Igari". The time was 1:21 a.m..

The military track suggests it then turned sharply westwards, heading
towards a waypoint called "Vampi", northeast of Indonesia's Aceh
province and a navigational point used for planes following route N571
to the Middle East. From there, the plot indicates the plane flew
towards a waypoint called "Gival", south of the Thai island of Phuket,
and was last plotted heading northwest towards another waypoint called
"Igrex", on route P628 that would take it over the Andaman Islands and
which carriers use to fly towards Europe.
=========

Since the Malaysian military is admiting to seeing "something" on their
radar, it's not clear if they've been asked (or stated) if they
scrambled jets to intercept / investigate.

How many times during the last month, the last year, the last decade has
the military in those countries scrambled jets to investigate unknown
radar contacts?

Like any human system, if it's not excercised or utilized regularly
there's no garantee it will operate according to plan at any given time.

Robert Green March 14th 14 04:13 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article , Home Guy "Home"@Guy. com

What needs to happen is that fake "Transponder OFF" switches need
to go into these cabins so that when someone tries to turn it off
(why they even CAN be turned off is another issue)

It's a tough call as to how to make them automatic. I'd say that if an
interlock can be reasonably well engineered, that if the plane's wheels
are up, then the beacons are supplied by power that can't be turned off
from the cockpit.

I wonder if there is any reason they couldn't share a circuit with the
flight recorders since they already automatically turn off on the
ground.

They certainly need some sort of protection and isolation from the plane's
existing electrical system but I can understand Boeing's reluctance to add
batteries to the plane for various reasons. This incident highlights the
need to have a battery powered transponder or beacon that's armored and
isolated and likely to still transmit information even if the engines fail
catastrophically and the plane loses all power. Hint to aircraft designers:
I think the terrorists have figured out how to defeat the current
transponder schemes. Time for a design change to make it a little harder
than it appears now to turn them off.

The remote telemetry systems are a start and I'm assuming that as new planes
come on line, they'll have more features like this. Some insurer, remember,
is on the hook for a lot of money because of this incident. Not sure how a
battery powered transponder would prevent such a loss, but it certainly
would reduce the enormous funds expended searching. Governments care about
that cost (which I assume the Vietnamese are not happy about footing) and
they're the ones that would be able to mandate changes to the current and
clearly inadequate transponder system.

Bulletproof passport checking requires real-time data and protocal links
to every conceivable authority in the world that can issue an opinion
about any given passport, and the cost to "subscribe" or participate in
such a network must have little or zero cost to end users (airlines,
airports) if stakeholders (gov'ts, law enforcement, societies) want to
experience 100% compliance everywhere.

And the zero cost includes not only access but also pretty close to zero
costs for airline personnel and equipment, and hassle. It would seem as
though you would pretty much have to mandate it by ALL airlines from ALL
terminals for it to possibly work.

Good luck on that. It was an incredible feat of cooperation to get many of
the smaller airports in the world to even CARE about screening passengers.
You have to admit that we've not seen a lot of hijacking lately. I remember
when growing up that it seemed there was a hijacker diverting a plane to
Cuba on almost a monthly basis. Sometimes weekly around Christmas time. I
think the Malaysian airports failure to check passports against Interpol is
played out daily in airports across the world.

At least until the first time a person isn't let on an airplane because

somebody somewhere
transposed to digit or two on data entry.

I suspect you've just revealed why the smaller airports don't check -
because they have in the past and it turned out the passengers were not
terrorists - like Sen Ted Kennedy. When that happens people get very angry
and complain vociferously. The best way to avoid those sorts of
confrontations, in the minds of airport security officials, is not to check
anyone unless there's some other indicator that they are suspicious.

For any of the above, it becomes a question as to how necessary it is to
turn off the plane's various transmission sources to render it
"invisible" from normal ground operations. Presumably the thinking is
that any plane that has been hijacked anywhere in the world for any
reason will be shot down as the primary response, so the best
countermeasure for the hijacker is to make the plane as invisible as
possible as soon as possible after the hijacking event has started.

But at least for most likely targets, we'll use the G-8 for short
hand purposes, the lack of a transponder would not make it all that
invisible to the military folks and lack of transponder alone would
probably bring out the fighters.

Talk about your unintended consequences. Yet I think that hijackers might
(credibly) believe that no one but the Russians (and perhaps the PLA) would
shoot down a passenger jet. There was a lot of talk about how the US should
have shot down the remaining hijacked planes once the WTC had been hit.
Aside from the delay in getting a pilot scrambled and authorized to shoot
down a passenger jet, it's very likely that a pilot just couldn't do it.
Shades of the film/novel "Failsafe." Does such a terrible order come with a
suicide kit for the pilot who obeys the shoot down order?

Unlike the fears the motivated the Sov pilot who shot down KAL007, we
typically don't have firing squads standing by to execute pilots who fail to
carry out such missions. Since every plane can be turned into an unwilling
guided missile, they should all have self-destruct systems like missiles do
so a plane can be brought down remotely. A sort of in-the-sky "On Star"
system. sarcasm alert

--
Bobby G.

(PeteCresswell) March 14th 14 08:07 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

Per Robert Green:
You have to admit that we've not seen a lot of hijacking lately. I remember
when growing up that it seemed there was a hijacker diverting a plane to
Cuba on almost a monthly basis. Sometimes weekly around Christmas time.

I can't disagree with that, but it seems to me like there's a logical
fallacy when authorities present such an argument.

Dunno it's proper name, but I think of it as "The Wild Elephant
Whistle."

Guy's walking around Manhattan at lunch time blowing this whistle
over-and-over again.

Somebody trying to enjoy their lunch asks "Why on earth are your blowing
that whistle?".

Guy replies: "To keep the wild elephants away."

Somebody says "That's crazy. The nearest wild elephants are thousands
of miles away."

Guy replies: "See!... It works!"
--
Pete Cresswell

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 14th 14 11:09 PM

On 3/14/2014 4:07 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I can't disagree with that, but it seems to me like there's a logical
fallacy when authorities present such an argument.

Dunno it's proper name, but I think of it as "The Wild Elephant
Whistle."

Guy's walking around Manhattan at lunch time blowing this whistle
over-and-over again.

Somebody trying to enjoy their lunch asks "Why on earth are your blowing
that whistle?".

Guy replies: "To keep the wild elephants away."

Somebody says "That's crazy. The nearest wild elephants are thousands
of miles away."

Guy replies: "See!... It works!"

Careful; someone will tell the old one about the
rape whistle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

(PeteCresswell) March 14th 14 11:49 PM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

Per (PeteCresswell):
Dunno it's proper name,

Still don't have a name, but the phrase that keeps coming up is
"Correlation is not causation".
--
Pete Cresswell

Robert Green March 15th 14 02:57 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Robert Green:
You have to admit that we've not seen a lot of hijacking lately. I

remember
when growing up that it seemed there was a hijacker diverting a plane to
Cuba on almost a monthly basis. Sometimes weekly around Christmas time.

I can't disagree with that, but it seems to me like there's a logical
fallacy when authorities present such an argument.

Dunno it's proper name, but I think of it as "The Wild Elephant
Whistle."

Guy's walking around Manhattan at lunch time blowing this whistle
over-and-over again.

Somebody trying to enjoy their lunch asks "Why on earth are your blowing
that whistle?".

Guy replies: "To keep the wild elephants away."

Somebody says "That's crazy. The nearest wild elephants are thousands
of miles away."

Guy replies: "See!... It works!"

I remember a Gahan Wilson cartoon of the same ilk. A man is standing at a
street corner with a huge gun. His wife is standing with them and they're
both standing next to a dead elephant. Smoke is pouring out of the barrel
of a huge elephant gun. She says "I'll never laugh at you for carrying that
thing around again!"

That said, I have to believe that it's much, much harder to hijack a plane
these days for a number of reasons. Passenger education (people used to be
told to leave the hijackers alone), better search techniques (both equipment
and personnel-wise), no-fly lists, cabin door locks, transponders, etc.

--
Bobby G.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 15th 14 03:01 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per (PeteCresswell):
Still don't have a name,

Got it.

"cum hoc ergo propter hoc", aka "false cause"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cum_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/cause.html
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

"As with any logical fallacy, identifying that the reasoning behind an
argument is flawed does not imply that the resulting conclusion is false."

IOW, that knife cuts both ways!

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 15th 14 04:09 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Robert Green:
You have to admit that we've not seen a lot of hijacking lately. I

remember
when growing up that it seemed there was a hijacker diverting a plane to
Cuba on almost a monthly basis. Sometimes weekly around Christmas time.

I can't disagree with that, but it seems to me like there's a logical
fallacy when authorities present such an argument.

This Wired article is interesting:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...ibly-hijacked/

They call the time I remember when "This plane goes to Cuba!" was a monthly
occurrence as "The Golden Age of Air Piracy."

They do raise an interesting question, though. If the alleged hijacker was
sophisticated enough to know how to disable two different transponders, how
come he didn't know there wasn't enough fuel on board to get to someplace he
could land? They note that many hijackers are insane and don't usually think
their crimes through very well, but the data points we have are just plain
weird and counter-intuitive.

I also learned today that plenty of big things have gone missing, never to
be seen again like a B-47 Stratojet carrying nuclear weapons in 1956.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green March 15th 14 11:46 AM

Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Robert Green:
You have to admit that we've not seen a lot of hijacking lately. I

remember
when growing up that it seemed there was a hijacker diverting a plane to
Cuba on almost a monthly basis. Sometimes weekly around Christmas time.

I can't disagree with that, but it seems to me like there's a logical
fallacy when authorities present such an argument.

Check out these graphs. Airplane bombing has indeed tapered off quite a
bit.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...ism/totals.gif

--
Bobby G.