DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing rust from old planes and other iron/steel tools? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/368536-removing-rust-old-planes-other-iron-steel-tools.html)

blueman March 6th 14 02:39 AM

Removing rust from old planes and other iron/steel tools?

Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old planes
and other iron/stool tools?

Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow
grease?

What is your favorite method for removing rust?

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 6th 14 02:50 AM

blueman wrote:
Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old
planes and other iron/stool tools?

Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow
grease?

What is your favorite method for removing rust?

Do a web search for "electrolytic rust removal" .
--
Snag

Oren[_2_] March 6th 14 03:05 AM

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:39:45 -0500, blueman wrote:

Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old planes
and other iron/stool tools?

Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow
grease?

What is your favorite method for removing rust?

Electrolysis. Youtube has some videos for wood planes, to remove rust.
Different ways to build a tank, etc., Use "Super Washing soda"
(Walmart), battery charger...

This is what I did on a cast iron Dutch oven.

http://oi33.tinypic.com/rmnwo5.jpg

[email protected] March 6th 14 03:14 AM

Removing rust from old planes and other iron/steel tools?

I use "Evapo-Rust". Just dunk the tools you want derusted into a container of it overnight and ta-da just like magic the rust is gone with no scrubbing needed.

Plenty of youtube videos about it and it's recommended by Rick Dale of "American Restoration" and Rick's Restoration.

You can buy it at Harbor Freight, O'Reilly's Auto Parts, and Auto Zone.

Oren[_2_] March 6th 14 03:21 AM

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 19:05:56 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:39:45 -0500, blueman wrote:

Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old planes
and other iron/stool tools?

Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow
grease?

What is your favorite method for removing rust?

Electrolysis. Youtube has some videos for wood planes, to remove rust.
Different ways to build a tank, etc., Use "Super Washing soda"
(Walmart), battery charger...

This is what I did on a cast iron Dutch oven.

http://oi33.tinypic.com/rmnwo5.jpg

BTW, do not use stainless steel for the anodes. Dangerous gases. Use
ordinary sacrificial rebar rods.
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 6th 14 12:37 PM

On 3/5/2014 9:39 PM, blueman wrote:
Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old planes
and other iron/stool tools?

Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow
grease?

What is your favorite method for removing rust?

The one time I tried to clean up a jack plane, my
shop teacher had some stuff. Decades ago. I want
to say Naval Jelly. I wondered if it would rust
again, applied and washed off with water. He said
not if I dried it promptly.

Now days, I'd dry and then soak it with WD-40.

My present rust remover is a wire wheel on bench
grinder, or wire wheel on drill.

--
..
Christopher A. Young