Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do NOT PUT Fabric Softener in the BLEACH Dispenser!!

After two years of pouring the directed amount of both concentrated and regular liquid fabric softener into the bleach dispenser receptacle of our top-load washing machine, something started happening:

Bleach no longer followed the correct path into the fill-stream of water entering the machine! Instead, it simply overflowed the sub-tray(underneath the marked receptacle) and spilled directly onto laundry in the drum. Enough bleach remained in that sub-tray to spill over onto non-bleach(colored) loads, ruining 3 of my wife's favorite pants!!

I had to remove the top receptacle, soak up all the liquid that had accumulated in the sub-tray, and wait a couple hours for it to dry. After that, I was able to scrape out nearly ONE-EIGHTH INCH of solid accumulated fabric softener from the bottom of that tray. I used a toothpick to remove additional crud from the slit that feeds the channel at the top of the drum that carries bleach around the top of the drum to mix with the in-stream of water filling the washer.

I then put the empty washer on rinse cycle, and poured one cup of hot water from my K-Cup machine into the bleach sub-tray, to really clean it out.

What a FU%$!#@ING MESS!!

So much for following the directions on the label. From now on, we are diluting our fabric softener with water and pouring it directly into the machine while it is filling water for a load cycle. After we run out, we will buy only the laundry detergent that combines fabric softener.

And the only thing going into the bleach dispenser is BLEACH - and a once-yearly flush with 190degree water.

Fabric softener - what a damn RIPOFF anyway. They didn't have "fabric thoftener" - la de dahh - in WW2!! And their clothes came out fine!

sheesh...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
?????, how come bleach was poured into wrong place?
I don't get it. They are marked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 15:38:20 -0600, "Steve F." wrote:

Troll post?

Oh really? Imagine that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

**** happens. I did that once but in reverse. I started putting the
softener in the bleach tray but caught my mistake after a small amount
was dispensed. Don't daydream while doing laundry. When you get older,
you'll understand.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2014 8:06 AM, willshak wrote:

**** happens. I did that once but in reverse. I started putting the
softener in the bleach tray but caught my mistake after a small amount
was dispensed. Don't daydream while doing laundry. When you get older,
you'll understand.

I put metamucil in my dentures, one time.
Didn't hold very well, but I was regular
that day.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello??!

Folks, re-read the post.

The specific instructions on the bottle of fabric softener are to pour required amount of softener into the bleach dispenser, of machines having one, during the fill for the rinse cycle.

I did so for nearly two years.

My machine has NO SEPARATE fabric softener intake area. Heck, the ones in our old apartment has NO separate dispensers at all. After said two years of doing so, the softener gummed up, impeding the flow of bleach where it had to go.

Bleach accumulated, overflowed the secondary tray, and spilled, unbeknownst to us, directly onto laundry.

Got it now? troll my ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand of washing machinw and what brand of softener? I have never heard of a USA brand saying to put the softener into the bleach dispenser. Bleach is immediately put into the wash water, fabric softener goes into the rinse water, else it is just wasted away by the rinse cycle after being flushed out in the main wash cycle. Bleach always goes into the wash cycle, and after it does its job it is rinsed away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

10:20 AM wrote:

"What brand of washing machinw and what brand of softener? I have never heard of a USA brand saying to put the softener into the bleach dispenser. Bleach is immediately put into the wash water, fabric softener goes into the rinse water, else it is just wasted away by the rinse cycle after being flushed out in the main wash cycle. Bleach always goes into the wash cycle, and after it does its job it is rinsed away. "

Everything you wrote here should be implied as understood. Of COURSE bleach goes in my bleach dispenser during the fill stage of the wash cycle! How ****ing STUPID do you people think I am?! Do I have "Bush" written on my forehead?!

The machine is a mid-level Estate series by Whirlpool, about 5 years old. The fabric softener is liquid Downy. The directions on the bottle are "Add to the machine dispenser or final rinse." - EXACT WORDS.

I took that to mean 'don't add directly to laundry', and so poured the correct amount into the bleach dispenser during fill-up for rinse cycle.

In any case, the decision has already been made: NO MORE separate fab. softener under this roof. From now on we use detergent with softener added in. Plenty of that on retailer shelves.

Thanks to all who completely misunderstood my o.p.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2014 10:35 AM, wrote:

How ****ing STUPID do you people think I am?! Do I have "Bush" written on my forehead?!

O B A M...... oh, wait. Now I can
read you fcking stupid forehead.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocky,

If the fabric softener that you use advises you to put the softener into
the bleach dispensor during the rinse fill and doing that caused glop then
notify the fabric softener's customer service folks. They will be interested
in your problem and may send you some money to help buy some pants.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

What brand of washing machinw and what brand of softener? I have never
heard of a USA brand saying to put the softener into the bleach
dispenser. Bleach is immediately put into the wash water, fabric
softener goes into the rinse water, else it is just wasted away by the
rinse cycle after being flushed out in the main wash cycle. Bleach
always goes into the wash cycle, and after it does its job it is
rinsed away.

Not quite "always".

The machine I have now has one dispenser for bleach, one for fabric
softener.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Rocky,

If the fabric softener that you use advises you to put the softener

into
the bleach dispensor during the rinse fill and doing that caused glop then
notify the fabric softener's customer service folks. They will be

interested
in your problem and may send you some money to help buy some pants.

Good point. I am about to contact my fabric softener's customer service
folks because several bottles have "lumped up" to the point of being
unusable without adding really hot water. The bottle says that might happen
if the stuff gets below freezing, but it hasn't. It's a pain in the ass to
have to "de-lump" the FS every time we do a load of laundry. I tried
heating the whole bottle in a hot water bath, but it quickly reverted to its
former lumpy self in short order.

I just had a softener related failure - after about ten years (and possibly
because the FS had become thickened and I had not noticed) the fabric
softener dispenser gooed up to the point of failure. An overnight soak of
the easy-to-remove dispenser on the top of the agitator in warm vinegar
solution and a workover with a power steamer cleared up the problem.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Storkamp wrote: "In article ,

Then why did you write: "The directions on the bottle are "Add to the
machine dispenser or final rinse." - EXACT WORDS."

You also asked: "How ****ing STUPID do you people think I am?!"

You're the one pouring the softener into the bleach dispenser. "

Which brings up another point: The draft of those instructions itself!

WHAT is a "machine dispenser"??

And would "ON final rinse." make more sense?

That needs more looking into - the way the directions are worded on the bottle - than anything else here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Mormon:

Your name translates to "bearer of Christ". Your signature suggests becoming better acquainted with Jesus.

So why in heck are you votin' for WARMONGERS?!?!

(I asked the same question of fellow members of a 50-member evangelical Christian church I once attended, but never got an answer that made sense. The church btw folded up 7 years ago - after being open 4 years.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 10, 2014 8:35:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The machine is a mid-level Estate series by Whirlpool, about 5 years old. The
fabric softener is liquid Downy. The directions on the bottle are "Add to the
machine dispenser or final rinse." - EXACT WORDS.

This doesn't say anything about a "bleach" dispenser.

My 12 year old Kenmore washing machine has a separate fabric softener dispenser on top of the agitator (and growing up, my parents ca. 1970's Whirlpool had one too). It's basically a cup that uses centrifugal force of the spin cycle to fling the softener out of the cup and down into the drum to be mixed in with the water when it fills for the rinse cycle.

I'm surprised you're "mid-level" doesn't have this, but since it doesn't, dilute the softener with water about 50/50 and then dump it in after the washer fills for the rinse cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote: "I'm surprised you're "mid-level" doesn't have this, but since it doesn't, dilute the softener with water about 50/50 and then dump it in after the washer fills for the rinse cycle. "

Guess that's how we'll have use this softener up. LOL. After that it's nothing but the combined stuff. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah Dave I checked the top of the agitator for *another* feature this machine lacks: A lint collector. The machine this one replaced had such a filter, inside the agitator. Just tugged it out, scraped the lint off the bottom, and reinsert click! into place.

I only assumed this was a "mid-level" because it is one of WP's "Estate" series machines - whatever that means.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 10, 2014 3:56:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/10/2014 10:35 AMail.com wrote:

10:20 AM wrote:

Everything you wrote here should be implied as understood. Of COURSE bleach goes in my bleach dispenser during the fill stage of the wash cycle! How ****ing STUPID do you people think I am?! Do I have "Bush" written on my forehead?!

The directions on the bottle are "Add to the machine dispenser or final rinse." - EXACT WORDS.

I took that to mean 'don't add directly to laundry', and so poured the correct amount into the bleach dispenser during fill-up for rinse cycle.

But it does NOT say BLEACH dispenser. Most have a softener dispenser

or a cup of some sort in the agitator to hold it. If not, I'd just

dilute it and dump it into the rinse water. That stuff gets gummy after

a time.

_______________

Which is why the instructions on this bottle - BY THE WAY ALSO IN SPANISH!! - should be given a closer look by whoever writes them.

Instead of putting bilingual instructions, put them only in ENGLISH, since this IS The United States last time I checked, and there'd be room for more concise directions on a machine-by-machine basis.

Hint Stormin Mormon: Enforcing English in this country is something we should all be conservative about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

Which is why the instructions on this bottle - BY THE WAY ALSO IN SPANISH!! - should be given a closer look by whoever writes them.

Actually, in this whole thread, I've wondered about the instructions
in the washing machine manual. Were they consulted?

Instead of putting bilingual instructions, put them only in ENGLISH, since this IS The United States last time I checked, and there'd be room for more concise directions on a machine-by-machine basis.

Why? It's in the best interest of the detergent manufacturer to accommodate
Spanish speakers. Are you trying to interfere with capitalism and free
speech?

Here in Michigan, we get a fair amount of stuff labeled in both English and
French, suitable for the Canadian market as well as us.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2014 4:22 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Why? It's in the best interest of the detergent manufacturer to accommodate
Spanish speakers. Are you trying to interfere with capitalism and free
speech?

Here in Michigan, we get a fair amount of stuff labeled in both English and
French, suitable for the Canadian market as well as us.

Cindy Hamilton

I think Americans should be blended, not diverse.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote: "Why? It's in the best interest of the detergent manufacturer to accommodate
Spanish speakers. Are you trying to interfere with capitalism and free
speech?

Here in Michigan, we get a fair amount of stuff labeled in both English and
French, suitable for the Canadian market as well as us. "

It works for Canada because they LEGISLATE two official languages there. Not so here. The United States of America, most powerful nation industrially and militarily, yet since 1776, NOWHERE in our Constitution or other law books was declared an OFFICIAL LANGUAGE - English or otherwise!

America - no official language - kinda like a car with no controls to raise or lower the windows.

Here I am, to the left of most liberals in this country, yet more conservative on official language than even most republicans. What the..?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

And Cindy as far as "freedom of speech" is comcerned, that does not cover what language you *speak on the job.*

I'm tired of going into a fast food, asking for extra ketchup or the like, and then having to wait while the counter rep calls their supervisor to translate my special request, not to mention making other customers behind me wait longer!

In the business place, Cindy, efficiency supercedes freedom of speech. Once you're off the clock, you can speak in whatever tongue you desire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
And Cindy as far as "freedom of speech" is comcerned, that does not cover what language you *speak on the job.*

I'm tired of going into a fast food, asking for extra ketchup or the like, and then having to wait while the counter rep calls their supervisor to translate my special request, not to mention making other customers behind me wait longer!

Well, that's the fault of the store's management. Still no reason to
involve the government.

Cindy Hamilton

In the business place, Cindy, efficiency supercedes freedom of speech. Once you're off the clock, you can speak in whatever tongue you desire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:20:23 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In article b4096bde-70ps.com,

ote:

And Cindy as far as "freedom of speech" is comcerned, that does not cover what language you *speak on the job.*

I'm tired of going into a fast food, asking for extra ketchup or the like, and then having to wait while the counter rep calls their supervisor to translate my special request, not to mention making other customers behind me wait longer!

Well, that's the fault of the store's management. Still no reason to

involve the government.

Cindy Hamilton

--

______
That's true - the store manager(or the chain if applicable) could mandate that you have to speak basic English to work there. But human nature is what it is - companies are all about the bottom line, regardless of what language its employees can speak - which is why a national language might help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:06:36 AM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I just accidentally poured fabric softener into the bleach tray because I was distracted. Sounds like one time won't kill the washer at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to thekmanrocks, KathyB wrote:
Fabric softener added to your machine during fill cycles kill the laundry
detergent! Thats one of the reason for using it, to remove detergent from
the clothes in the rinse cycle. Next washer I get will be a Speed Queen and
none of this HE crap!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-785079-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 4:14 PM, KathyB wrote:
replying to thekmanrocks, KathyB wrote:
Fabric softener added to your machine during fill cycles kill the laundry
detergent! Thats one of the reason for using it, to remove detergent from
the clothes in the rinse cycle. Next washer I get will be a Speed Queen and
none of this HE crap!!

I use 1 Tbsp of All Free and Clear HE detergent and the Sanitize cycle with the Steam and Extra rinse options on my Whirlpool Duet.

The clothes come out spotless every time.Â* No need for fabric softeners or bleach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 11 Aug 2019 17:26:02 -0400, Mike Hunt-Hertz
wrote:

On 8/11/2019 4:14 PM, KathyB wrote:
replying to thekmanrocks, KathyB wrote:
Fabric softener added to your machine during fill cycles kill the laundry
detergent! That’s one of the reason for using it, to remove detergent from
the clothes in the rinse cycle. Next washer I get will be a Speed Queen and
none of this HE crap!!

I use 1 Tbsp of All Free and Clear HE detergent and the Sanitize cycle with the Steam and Extra rinse options on my Whirlpool Duet.

The clothes come out spotless every time.* No need for fabric softeners or bleach.

Real men don't want soft clothes. Stiff clothes help make them
stronger.

And it's the closest thing I have to combat or bear wrestling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/19 1:14 PM, KathyB wrote:
NextÂ*washerÂ*IÂ*getÂ*willÂ*beÂ*aÂ*SpeedÂ*QueenÂ*a nd
noneÂ*ofÂ*thisÂ*HEÂ*crap!!

Kathy!

Alliance Speed Queens have gone to hell! The new Speed Queens
are just garbage. They are their old front loaders turned
on their backs -- literally!

If you want an old Speed Queen, get an Alliance Huebsch

https://huebsch.com/

It is also make by Alliance, as is Speed Queen.
It is meant for a commercial setting, but they
have a model without a coin box. The internals
are exactly the same as the old Speed Queens.
You can actually swap the tops out with an old Speed
Queen AWN432SP113TW04 to rebuild and a AWN432SP113TW04.
And you can use straight hot water if you want.
AND NO LOCKING LID !!!!

Here is a write up on it:
https://www.sargentsoutlet.com/SPEED-QUEEN.html

Downsides:

1) stupid electronic controls (Washers should be
mechanical controlled)

2) only one water fill level, BUT IT IS A FULL FILL,
not a participial fill

3) they give you a bad time about your warranty if
you are not a commercial entity

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/19 1:14 PM, KathyB wrote:
FabricÂ*softener

And don't use that toxic trash in your washer. it
is poisonous to humans!

Add a cup of vinegar to your wash rinse water that
your cloths will be softer than your ever imagined.

Still cloths are baked in soap

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/11/2019 4:14 PM, KathyB wrote:
replying to thekmanrocks, KathyB wrote:
Fabric softener added to your machine during fill cycles kill the laundry
detergent! Thats one of the reason for using it, to remove detergent from
the clothes in the rinse cycle. Next washer I get will be a Speed Queen and
none of this HE crap!!

I use 1 Tbsp of All Free and Clear HE detergent and the Sanitize cycle with the Steam and Extra rinse options on my Whirlpool Duet.

The clothes come out spotless every time.Â* No need for fabric softeners or bleach.

Real men don't want soft clothes. Stiff clothes help make them
stronger.

And it's the closest thing I have to combat or bear wrestling.

Stiff cloths are baked in soap

Add a cup of vinegar to your wash rinse water that
your cloths will be softer than your ever imagined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/19 9:10 PM, T wrote:
StillÂ*clothsÂ*areÂ*bakedÂ*inÂ*soap

Stiff