DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Doorknob in MIDDLE of door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/367343-doorknob-middle-door.html)

[email protected] February 2nd 14 07:23 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 2nd 14 08:46 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 2:23 PM, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

I've seen one, once. Maybe twice. Your concerns are correct,
they are a real nightmare, from a hardware point of view.
The standard backsets are 2 3/8 inches, and 2 3/4 inches.
Decorator backsets are 5 inch and 18 inches. Some where I
used to have a couple 5 inch backset latches, but not sure
I've ever used one. My drill jig for Kwikset locks had a
hole for 5 inch backset. I never used it,and it got in
the way. Especially if there was window molding. I cut it
off with a hacksaw.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 2nd 14 08:49 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 2:23 PM, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

What are you doing, watching a show full of kids?
Are you a creepy ass cracker? Or do you have a
crush on Marsha like everyone else used to?

Trivia: Robert Reed's job on the program, was
as an architect. I've heard he was homosexual in
real life.

Trivia: The one thing you never saw on Brady Bunch
was a toilet. They did have some scenes in the
bathroom (mostly pounding on the door cause the girls
were brushing hair forever).

--
..
Christopher A. Young

BenignBodger February 2nd 14 09:16 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 2:23 PM, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

They were common enough design elements in MCM (mid-century modern) homes
in the US. They were never quite popular enough to catch on more widely
outside of upscale custom homes in North America but they are still seen in
Europe. The last one I saw was on a B&B in Carlisle, UK -- big shiny brass
job in the middle of an immense green door facing the street. Hardware to
repair or replace could be a real bitch to find although the actual lock
cylinders and keys are probably the same as others from the same makers.

micky February 2nd 14 09:31 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 15:49:17 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Trivia: The one thing you never saw on Brady Bunch
was a toilet. They did have some scenes in the
bathroom (mostly pounding on the door cause the girls
were brushing hair forever).

AIUI, they spent so much money on the front door, they couldn't afford a
toilet. That's what happened to the people I knew with such a door.

micky February 2nd 14 09:34 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:23:30 -0600, wrote:

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life,

I think so, but I'm not positive. It would have been in Indianapoois
where I lived when the Brady Bunch was on tv. Crow's Neck Drive had
some fancy homes, and I visited a couple. Fancy but not that much more
expensive. Maybe like ours but with a few extra features, including the
door.

It's conceivable that it was a dream, but probably not since two other
posters have seen them.

or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface.

They do more difficult things when it's important enough. They have a
jig all set up, and maybe if they make a mistake, the rip off the layer
that got damaged and glue another one on?

It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

It's the price one has to pay to look classy.

[email protected] February 2nd 14 09:44 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:23:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on

ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the

doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the

knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the

door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might

exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a

tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the

door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door

surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door

like that.....

_______________-

Folks: This thread is about the unique position of a door knob - not one of the actor's sexuality.

Thank you!

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 2nd 14 09:55 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

wrote:

Trivia: The one thing you never saw on Brady Bunch
was a toilet. They did have some scenes in the
bathroom (mostly pounding on the door cause the girls
were brushing hair forever).

AIUI, they spent so much money on the front door, they couldn't afford a
toilet. That's what happened to the people I knew with such a door.

Thanks, I truly needed the laugh. Good one!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 2nd 14 10:02 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 4:44 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:23:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on

Folks: This thread is about the unique position of a door knob - not one of the actor's sexuality.

Thank you!

Sorry about the creepy ass comment.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Julie Bove February 2nd 14 10:22 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

wrote in message
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

I've seen it. Used to be a building on Aurora Ave. in North Seattle that
had these. Was a series of businesses. I think there was an insurance
company, a dentist, not sure what all else.

Tony Hwang February 2nd 14 10:32 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

Hmm,
Sound like good idea to me. Also here in BC province, they banned
installing round door knobs. It has to have a handle. sounds like
another good idea particularly for folks who has rheumatoid on their
hands. Pushing easier than grab and turn.

Steve F. February 2nd 14 11:13 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 4:32 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmm,
Sound like good idea to me. Also here in BC province, they banned
installing round door knobs. It has to have a handle. sounds like
another good idea particularly for folks who has rheumatoid on their
hands. Pushing easier than grab and turn.

Did they ban condoms, too?

DerbyDad03 February 2nd 14 11:37 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

http://tinyurl.com/Centered-Door-Knobs

[email protected] February 3rd 14 12:29 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:23:30 -0600, wrote:

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

I have. It was fairly "normal" in the mid-century modern homes, at
the time.

If you think it's difficult to drill a hole straight in a door, how do
you suppose these were made?

http://www.guns.com/2013/07/03/save-...loudly-videos/

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 3rd 14 01:07 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 6:13 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 4:32 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmm,
Sound like good idea to me. Also here in BC province, they banned
installing round door knobs. It has to have a handle. sounds like
another good idea particularly for folks who has rheumatoid on their
hands. Pushing easier than grab and turn.

Did they ban condoms, too?

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Steve F. February 3rd 14 03:35 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 3rd 14 12:40 PM

Doorknob or condom?

On 2/2/2014 10:35 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Oh, butt out! Butt, you know I didn't mean that.
Not that I'm mean or anything. No one ass'ked you.
As the Bible says, "enter ye not into condom'nation".
The end. That's a wrap.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Fay February 3rd 14 10:28 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

wrote in news:u96te9hd0g7sbomll9tjb6g48aiqf6l8qq@
4ax.com:

[...]

I have a doorknob in the center of my front door. I've never had any
problems. On the outside it has a round brass knob and the inside is a
glass knob.

Jeff Wisnia[_9_] February 22nd 14 08:11 PM

Doorknob or condom?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/2/2014 10:35 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Oh, butt out! Butt, you know I didn't mean that.
Not that I'm mean or anything. No one ass'ked you.
As the Bible says, "enter ye not into condom'nation".
The end. That's a wrap.

The Bible (Leviticus 20:13) also implies, "If a man lies with another
man they shall both be stoned."

That's gonna go over big in those US states which now permit same sex
marriage and marihuana sales.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[email protected] September 27th 16 05:15 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

I have one at my house. We figure if we ever want to replace it we will have to replace the whole door.

We bought the house in March and it's an amazingly well preserved mid-century modern house from 1963. Center door knob on the front door, all the other door knobs are set 5" in from the strike plate. Floral textured wallpaper in foyer and upstairs hall, shiny metallic wallpaper in the bathrooms (including the ceiling of one!). One pink toilet, one blue toilet. It's the house that time forgot.

[email protected] September 27th 16 08:38 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:15:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have one at my house. We figure if we ever want to replace it we will have to replace the whole door.

I think it was "The Brady Bunch" who had a middle of the door, doorknob.
Yea, that was a show from the 60's. It was one of those fads that proved
to be a failure and did not last long.

[email protected] October 8th 16 12:14 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like.

Oren[_2_] October 8th 16 12:19 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:14:21 -0700 (PDT), ation
wrote:

My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like.

No thanks.

[email protected] October 8th 16 01:25 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

Please delete. I thought I was answering someone else.

FromTheRafters October 8th 16 01:51 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

ation brought next idea :
Please delete. I thought I was answering someone else.

It can't be deleted, USENET is forever, or until it dies.

bob haller October 8th 16 01:57 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

family affair with brian keith and sebastian cabot had a door like that

[email protected] July 25th 19 05:02 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] July 25th 19 06:01 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 7/25/2019 12:02 PM, wrote:
If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

I've seen doors like that. European in origin I believe.

Scott Lurndal July 25th 19 06:15 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 7/25/2019 12:02 PM, wrote:
If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

I've seen doors like that. European in origin I believe.

Remember the TV sitcom _Family Affair_? Davis' NY apartment had
the doorknobs centered on the door.

Jasper Towing Service[_2_] July 25th 19 06:24 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 7/25/2019 10:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/25/2019 12:02 PM, wrote:
If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

I've seen doors like that.Â* European in origin I believe.

Those are the kind of knobs Ed likes.

[email protected] July 25th 19 09:22 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 09:02:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

It was a fad for a while but I think it may be waning as those
mechanisms start causing trouble.
My wife had a few customers ordering doors like that when she was
building houses. .

[email protected] July 26th 19 01:49 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

I know where there's a door like this at in Madison Indiana first time I've ever seen one also I go in a lot homes the door is split I'm not talkin I'm talkin the door death itself which is only about 2 in thick come to park so basically they taking two halves of a door and put them together wants centers hollowed-out for the hardware

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= July 26th 19 09:08 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

posted for all of us...

wrote:

If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

It was a fad for a while but I think it may be waning as those
mechanisms start causing trouble.
My wife had a few customers ordering doors like that when she was
building houses. .

Yeah, it was a fad. The only time I have ever seen them is on the old TV
shows. Must have had fun drilling the latch...

--
Tekkie

[email protected] September 24th 19 04:34 AM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

I have a backseat that would put the knob in the middle of the door. It is made by Schlage Lock. It is not a prop.

Bill Gill September 24th 19 02:07 PM

Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

On 9/23/2019 10:34 PM, wrote:
I have a backseat that would put the knob in the middle of the door. It is made by Schlage Lock. It is not a prop.

Sounds like a neat designer trick.

Bill