Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 15:49:17 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Trivia: The one thing you never saw on Brady Bunch
was a toilet. They did have some scenes in the
bathroom (mostly pounding on the door cause the girls
were brushing hair forever).

AIUI, they spent so much money on the front door, they couldn't afford a
toilet. That's what happened to the people I knew with such a door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:23:30 -0600, wrote:

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life,

I think so, but I'm not positive. It would have been in Indianapoois
where I lived when the Brady Bunch was on tv. Crow's Neck Drive had
some fancy homes, and I visited a couple. Fancy but not that much more
expensive. Maybe like ours but with a few extra features, including the
door.

It's conceivable that it was a dream, but probably not since two other
posters have seen them.

or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface.

They do more difficult things when it's important enough. They have a
jig all set up, and maybe if they make a mistake, the rip off the layer
that got damaged and glue another one on?

It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

It's the price one has to pay to look classy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:23:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on

ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the

doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the

knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the

door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might

exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a

tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the

door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door

surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door

like that.....

_______________-

Folks: This thread is about the unique position of a door knob - not one of the actor's sexuality.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Trivia: The one thing you never saw on Brady Bunch
was a toilet. They did have some scenes in the
bathroom (mostly pounding on the door cause the girls
were brushing hair forever).

AIUI, they spent so much money on the front door, they couldn't afford a
toilet. That's what happened to the people I knew with such a door.

Thanks, I truly needed the laugh. Good one!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

I've seen it. Used to be a building on Aurora Ave. in North Seattle that
had these. Was a series of businesses. I think there was an insurance
company, a dentist, not sure what all else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2014 4:32 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmm,
Sound like good idea to me. Also here in BC province, they banned
installing round door knobs. It has to have a handle. sounds like
another good idea particularly for folks who has rheumatoid on their
hands. Pushing easier than grab and turn.

Did they ban condoms, too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on
ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the
doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the
knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the
door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might
exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a
tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the
door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door
surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door
like that.....

http://tinyurl.com/Centered-Door-Knobs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2014 6:13 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 4:32 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmm,
Sound like good idea to me. Also here in BC province, they banned
installing round door knobs. It has to have a handle. sounds like
another good idea particularly for folks who has rheumatoid on their
hands. Pushing easier than grab and turn.

Did they ban condoms, too?

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorknob or condom?

On 2/2/2014 10:35 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Oh, butt out! Butt, you know I didn't mean that.
Not that I'm mean or anything. No one ass'ked you.
As the Bible says, "enter ye not into condom'nation".
The end. That's a wrap.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/2/2014 10:35 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/2/2014 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, THAT is a creepy ass comment.

I find your reply creepy since you mention ass in regards to
condoms. :-)

Oh, butt out! Butt, you know I didn't mean that.
Not that I'm mean or anything. No one ass'ked you.
As the Bible says, "enter ye not into condom'nation".
The end. That's a wrap.

The Bible (Leviticus 20:13) also implies, "If a man lies with another
man they shall both be stoned."

That's gonna go over big in those US states which now permit same sex
marriage and marihuana sales.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have one at my house. We figure if we ever want to replace it we will have to replace the whole door.

We bought the house in March and it's an amazingly well preserved mid-century modern house from 1963. Center door knob on the front door, all the other door knobs are set 5" in from the strike plate. Floral textured wallpaper in foyer and upstairs hall, shiny metallic wallpaper in the bathrooms (including the ceiling of one!). One pink toilet, one blue toilet. It's the house that time forgot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:14:21 -0700 (PDT), ation
wrote:

My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like.

No thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please delete. I thought I was answering someone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

family affair with brian keith and sebastian cabot had a door like that
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know where there's a door like this at in Madison Indiana first time I've ever seen one also I go in a lot homes the door is split I'm not talkin I'm talkin the door death itself which is only about 2 in thick come to park so basically they taking two halves of a door and put them together wants centers hollowed-out for the hardware
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a backseat that would put the knob in the middle of the door. It is made by Schlage Lock. It is not a prop.