DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Testing LED Xmas lights. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/366386-testing-led-xmas-lights.html)

[email protected] January 11th 14 04:16 AM

Testing LED Xmas lights.

I have one of those animated outdoor reindeers that use LED lights. It
was a fairly costly deer, so I want to fix it. I brought it indoors to
fix. Half the lights quit working during the holidays. I decided that
now is the time to fix it, since it's too cold to do anything else
anyhow. But they are wired in series, just like the old incandescent
xmas lights. The old bulbs could be tested with a battery and a socket
taken from a junked string, but it's not sdo easy with the LEDs. I know
a resistor is needed in series. Even more odd, is the fact that while
the string dont light up, if I look real closely in a dark room, there
is a very faint glow, and each bulb appears to have to have that glow.

Anyone have any ideas or tips for fixing this?

Bubba[_6_] January 11th 14 01:45 PM

Testing LED Xmas lights.

On 01/10/2014 11:16 PM, wrote:
I have one of those animated outdoor reindeers that use LED lights. It
was a fairly costly deer, so I want to fix it. I brought it indoors to
fix. Half the lights quit working during the holidays. I decided that
now is the time to fix it, since it's too cold to do anything else
anyhow. But they are wired in series, just like the old incandescent
xmas lights. The old bulbs could be tested with a battery and a socket
taken from a junked string, but it's not sdo easy with the LEDs. I know
a resistor is needed in series. Even more odd, is the fact that while
the string dont light up, if I look real closely in a dark room, there
is a very faint glow, and each bulb appears to have to have that glow.

Anyone have any ideas or tips for fixing this?

Yah, toss that poorly engineered piece of Chinese crap in the trash where it belongs.

Chinaman laughing at you now!

Stormin Mormon[_10_] January 11th 14 02:24 PM

Testing LED Xmas lights.

On 1/10/2014 11:16 PM, wrote:
I have one of those animated outdoor reindeers that use LED lights. It
was a fairly costly deer, so I want to fix it. I brought it indoors to
fix. Half the lights quit working during the holidays. I decided that
now is the time to fix it, since it's too cold to do anything else
anyhow. But they are wired in series, just like the old incandescent
xmas lights. The old bulbs could be tested with a battery and a socket
taken from a junked string, but it's not sdo easy with the LEDs. I know
a resistor is needed in series. Even more odd, is the fact that while
the string dont light up, if I look real closely in a dark room, there
is a very faint glow, and each bulb appears to have to have that glow.

Anyone have any ideas or tips for fixing this?

Just off the top, one of the bulbs has high
resistance. Go down the string with a volt
meter. The one which shows higher voltage
drop is the bad one.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] January 11th 14 05:41 PM

Testing LED Xmas lights.

Stormy is right. I use a sharp pin to puncture the insulation.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] January 11th 14 05:46 PM

Testing LED Xmas lights.

On 1/11/2014 12:41 PM, wrote:
Stormy is right. I use a sharp pin to puncture the insulation.

Eeek! first time of the year. I'd better print
this out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young