Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best brand of duct tape?

No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2013 10:39 AM, notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb

I really like the metallic duct tape...it really works well.

It uses aluminum foil
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb

For me it is the Gorilla brand tape. Same width, and general appearance,
except it is black. The absolute best, stickiest tape I have ever used. So
good and important to me that when the roll is getting too small I go get
another. I've never been so particular bout tape before. Over

Daniel Cairns

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Dec 2013 16:39:41 GMT, notbob wrote:

What is the best brand of duct tape?

The roll you have in your hand at the time of need?

Red Green may not like "Duck Tape". I have a partial roll and it is
"Duck Tape", but free from the neighbor.

--
WD-40
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 2:31 PM, Daniel Cairns wrote:

For me it is the Gorilla brand tape. Same width, and general appearance,
except it is black. The absolute best, stickiest tape I have ever used. So
good and important to me that when the roll is getting too small I go get
another. I've never been so particular bout tape before. Over

Daniel Cairns

I've also had good results with Gorilla tape.
That's my duct tape story, and I'm sticking
to it. Yeah, tacky, I know.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 9:39 AM, notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

I like gaffer's tape and Gorilla Tape. The rest is a crapshoot on what
it is made of, and how long it will last.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per SteveB:
I like gaffer's tape and Gorilla Tape. The rest is a crapshoot on what it is made of, and how long it will last.

Nobody mentioned residue - i.e. how much of a gummy mess is left
behind when the tape is removed.

I'm too cheap to buy it, but what I like about gaffer's tape is that
it's engineered to not leave any gunk behind.

Dunno about Gorilla tape... how is it in that respect?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:4o8ca9l9eq23vit7vc9e5k3bg8lragt3m3@
4ax.com:

On 9 Dec 2013 16:39:41 GMT, notbob wrote:

What is the best brand of duct tape?

The roll you have in your hand at the time of need?

Check

Red Green may not like "Duck Tape". I have a partial roll and it is
"Duck Tape", but free from the neighbor.

DucK tape - NFG. How can you successfully do a half-ass job with ****ty DT?

[your pricing is attractive though...]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2013 01:17 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/09/2013 10:39 AM, notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb

I really like the metallic duct tape...it really works well.

It uses aluminum foil

yes, for actual use on ducts, there is no substitute for the foil.

It also is easily written on with Sharpie I've found, so I also use it
for making labels on storage bins.

For non-duct emergency fastening use, I really don't know. None of the
cloth duct tape seems that great, but I'm willing to learn if there's
something that's actually worth keeping a roll around.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2013 04:10 PM, SteveB wrote:
On 12/9/2013 9:39 AM, notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

I like gaffer's tape and Gorilla Tape. The rest is a crapshoot on what
it is made of, and how long it will last.

Steve

I dunno how long gaff tape holds up long term, but the "pro-gaff" stuff
works great short term. I've never trusted it to last longer than a
theater production though

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:45:43 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've also had good results with Gorilla tape.

But that isn't Duct Tape.

Can you tie it into a knot?

.... with duct tape you can make wedding clothes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've also had good results with Gorilla tape.

But that isn't Duct Tape.

Can you tie it into a knot?

... with duct tape you can make wedding clothes.

With gorilla tape, I can tape the bride to a
support column, and be fairly sure she will
be there later.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've also had good results with Gorilla tape.

But that isn't Duct Tape.

Can you tie it into a knot?

... with duct tape you can make wedding clothes.

With gorilla tape, I can tape the bride to a
support column, and be fairly sure she will
be there later.

"...Duck Dynasty® Duck Tape®. Set against the iconic duck camouflage
pattern well known to fans, the tape features the bearded likenesses
of Willie, Phil, Jase and Si, along with some of their popular
phrases. From around the house repairs to fixing up camping and
hunting supplies, Duck Dynasty® Duck Tape® is sure to make you “Happy,
Happy, Happy.”

http://www.tapecrafters.com/duct-tape-by-type/printed-duct-tape/duck-dynasty-1-88-x10yd-duck-brand-printed-duct-tape.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:14:18 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Red Green may not like "Duck Tape". I have a partial roll and it is
"Duck Tape", but free from the neighbor.

Is that the brand used on Duck Dynasty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb

Might be, two of my favorites might be from same company.

Two others are gorilla tape, and sumo tape. I forget which has more stick.

Back to my favorites. I treasure my roll of 100 mph tape green OD bought
from sportsman guide many years ago. It stretches and hold well. Probably
from Nashua tape.

The other tape for ducts and many other things, I much prefer to aluminum
tape, FlexFix from Nashua.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=13339030

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
No doubt this has been asked and answered a jillion times, before, but
not in my memory. So.....

What is the best brand of duct tape?

I'm talking the usual general applications associated with duct tape
for the home bumpkin. Slap a strip over a cold draft crack, tape a
make-shift grill on a dog's carrier, etc. A duct tape that will
adhere to most any surface, at least for awhile. You know, emergency
temp mending kinda stuff. Maybe even for use in ducts! I once put a
baffle in a heating duct and taped it in place with some cheap generic
duct tape. Prolly lasted about 8 seconds b4 the tape came unstuck and
the baffle dropped. That kinda stuff. Thnx.

nb

I don't buy the grey stuff anymore. I buy the clear duct tape. It lasts
years outside through Summer and Winter and doesn't delaminate like the
grey stuff leaving a hard glue layer that is almost impossible to remove.
I have used the clear stuff outside and after a couple of years will
peel off leaving almost no glue residue, and what is left is still soft
and can be cleaned off.
I use the 3M/Scotch brand. I don't know about the Duck or Gorilla brands.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote in news:4o8ca9l9eq23vit7vc9e5k3bg8lragt3m3@
4ax.com:

On 9 Dec 2013 16:39:41 GMT, notbob wrote:

What is the best brand of duct tape?

The roll you have in your hand at the time of need?

Check

Red Green may not like "Duck Tape". I have a partial roll and it is
"Duck Tape", but free from the neighbor.

DucK tape - NFG. How can you successfully do a half-ass job with ****ty DT?

....ask me again. I can do anything with nothing

[your pricing is attractive though...]

Funny. I borrowed the roll, tried to return it, but I was told to keep
it. It is some good Duck Tape - I swear.

The cheap neighbor only left me a portion of a roll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Oren wrote in
news:4o8ca9l9eq23vit7vc9e5k3bg8lragt3m3@ 4ax.com:

On 9 Dec 2013 16:39:41 GMT, notbob wrote:

What is the best brand of duct tape?

The roll you have in your hand at the time of need?

Check

Red Green may not like "Duck Tape". I have a partial roll and it is
"Duck Tape", but free from the neighbor.

DucK tape - NFG. How can you successfully do a half-ass job with
****ty DT?

...ask me again. I can do anything with nothing

[your pricing is attractive though...]

Funny. I borrowed the roll, tried to return it, but I was told to keep
it. It is some good Duck Tape - I swear.

The cheap neighbor only left me a portion of a roll.

Your neighbor is too trusing and generous. I would have held on to one
end of the tape while you borrowed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 2:39 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per SteveB:
I like gaffer's tape and Gorilla Tape. The rest is a crapshoot on what it is made of, and how long it will last.

Nobody mentioned residue - i.e. how much of a gummy mess is left
behind when the tape is removed.

I'm too cheap to buy it, but what I like about gaffer's tape is that
it's engineered to not leave any gunk behind.

Dunno about Gorilla tape... how is it in that respect?

It does leave residue, but I have been finding some items repaired with
Gorilla tape that were in much better shape than I expected when it came
to degree of deterioration. Can't beat gaffer's tape, tho, and because
it is so much better, you use less. I put a single 3" wide strip over
an extension cord in the garage. Ten years later, it hasn't worn
through in one spot. Of course, I used to get it FREE at the
conventions. Never bought a roll in my life, but it is spendy, and
that's for the low end stuff.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to notbob, Monte wrote:
If the duct is UL listed it is generally of better quality but... as philo
said the aluminum is generally better. The tape that sticks the best to a
verity of surfaces is the tape use for house wrap (Tyvek)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...pe-774394-.htm