DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with a leaking lannonstone chimney instead of brick (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/361924-anyone-have-experience-leaking-lannonstone-chimney-instead-brick.html)

kathysart September 10th 13 10:44 PM

Anyone have experience with a leaking lannonstone chimney instead of brick

I have had some work done - new flashing, waterproofing )though I don't
know what kind) The problem has gotten worse, especially with new
flashings - replaced twice in 2 years. I have gone on the roof and used
duct tape to tape up some of the flashing, which is the only thing that
worked, but didn't hold. It is a 51 year old home, inherited from my
father, and the chimney has always leaked, but just a little. There is a
concrete crown, but it is flush to the chimney. How important is it to
extend it beyond the chimney? The current crown is about 4 inches thick
and is slanted, not flat, and has had a few caulking repair, but currently
does not have any cracks, nor does the lannonstone on the chimney itself.
Could this be the roof as it aligns with the chimney? Must I pull up the
roofing to determine that and can the same roofing be reapplied? I know
this is alot of info, but I am desperate.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-762955-.htm

TomR[_3_] September 11th 13 03:08 PM

kathysart wrote:
[...]

Some photos of the chimney and the flashing may help. If you take some
digital photos you can use this free website ( http://tinypic.com/ ) to
upload them. You upload them to that website, then it creates a link to the
photos that you can post here.

Good luck.

[email protected][_2_] September 11th 13 04:31 PM

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:08:30 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
kathysart wrote:

[...]

+1

If duct tape on the flashing stopped it, then it
would seem to be a flashing problem, nothing to do
with the crown.