Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator -- terrible smell!

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:01:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 18:28:21 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:05:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:16:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 13:03:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wrote:

The ones you SHOULD be thanking are the lawyers hired by manufacturers to spell out every fracking potential danger posed by a product just in case some [uncomplimentary noun] gets injured. Look at those caveats some time.. Unbelievable! They are covering their a$$ets from here to eternity.

All the lawyers in the world would be powerless if the lefty sheep

weren't so damned dumb. No, it starts with the schools and that means

teachers (and by extension, the unions).

The old reliable response from the giant intellect of the unthinking to any discussion. Drag in the stinking carcass of your ingrained political bias.. Solves all problems. Congratulations!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The ones you SHOULD be thanking are the lawyers hired by manufacturers to spell out every fracking potential danger posed by a product just in case some [uncomplimentary noun] gets injured. Look at those caveats some time. Unbelievable! They are covering their a$$ets from here to eternity.

All the lawyers in the world would be powerless if the lefty sheep

weren't so damned dumb. No, it starts with the schools and that means

teachers (and by extension, the unions).

The old reliable response from the giant intellect of the unthinking to any discussion. Drag in the stinking carcass of your ingrained political bias. Solves all problems. Congratulations!

Solve problems? You really are illiterate (as we all know). The
discussion was about the problem, dummy. ..but it was nice of you to
take the hook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HB -- I have a Whirlpool of about the same vintage and am having exactly the same problem (or, my tenant is).

Did you determine the problem? Was there anything you could do other than trash the thing?

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 7:06:34 PM UTC-6, Higgs Boson wrote:
Desperate! For over a month there has been a terrible smell coming from the refrigerator AND the freezer!!!

Frig. is a medium-end Whirlpool w/top freezer, about 6-7 years old.

I took EVERY item out of the frig, smelled it (nothing) washed the entire frig. section. Did the same with the freezer - where the smell, oddly enough, seems STRONGER! No change; smell still there.

IMPORTANT: When I was cleaning out the freezer, the blast of air SEEMED to be carrying the odor. By now, I am so crazy that I'm not even sure of THAT!

I asked a handyman who was doing some work for me to smell the frig/freezer. Asked him whether an animal could have crawled behind and died. He sensibly replied that if that were the case, the whole kitchen would smell.

So has something gotten into the ?? lines ??? that cool the frig/freezer?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ten years ago, at our apartment, we had a foul
odor issue, which was determined to be the
freezer's automatic defroster heater. It had
somehow come in contact with the plastic lining
in the freezer and was slowly melting it, pro-
ducing the stink!

Our landlord replaced the fridge on his dime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:17:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?

Is there an echo in here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:51:16 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:17:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?

Is there an echo in here?

It just got to Nevada.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing!!! Both frig & freezer smell

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote:
Same with me! Coils & pan are clean this is ridiculous! Is there something
that's been recalled for this product. I'm unaware of?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lisa" wrote in message
roups.com...

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote:
Same with me! Coils & pan are clean this is ridiculous! Is there something
that's been recalled for this product. I'm unaware of?

--
for full context, visit
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-762323-.htm

In side of freezer under the cooling coil there is usually small pan that
catches water and drains it out while
is in defrost mode make sure that this pan is empty and clean, also there is
catch pan under refrigerator
which evaporates water bury some place with in machinery frame make sure
that is clean and empty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Lisa, fixitall wrote:
I have a similar Whirlpool refrigerator. I am having the same problem, but I
know where it is coming from. The evaporator pan under the refrigerator.

After getting the unit repaired, a very bad odor soon began coming from down
by the removable grill. After searching everything else like most folks here,
I finally got behind it and removed the panel at the bottom. I found that the
rear of the evaporator pan was coated with a dark, sticky residue that was
definitely the source of the smell. I think it might have been from a roast
that we thawed in the refrigerator, that ended up leaking a lot of blood
before we caught it. I cleaned it out and voila, the smell went away
completely.

It has been about a week now, and the smell has returned. When checking the
same place I discovered these things:
1) There is about 1/4 inch of water in the back of the evaporator pan that is
the source of the smell. It is not the same sticky residue, but murky water.
2) The pan is molded so that the back part fills up about halfway before water
begins running into the front part. This may be because the fan is blowing
right on the back part, and that would be where the fastest evaporation should
take place.

I'm guessing here, but I know refrigerators have automatic defrost cycles. I'm
wondering if somehow, before I had it repaired, the leaking food got down into
the system somewhere and froze. Maybe now some of that ice is melting during
each auto defrost and running down into the evaporator pan. Until it
evaporates it is essentially a bowl of warm water, which would be a great
place for bacteria to grow like crazy if food got down there.

I think I'll probably be cleaning that out regularly until only clean water
drips down there from the defrost cycle as intended. I don't know any way to
clean out the system up inside "where spills go." I guess I could try pouring
water into the refrigerator compartment to see if it goes all of the way
through and runs out in the evaporator pan - but that seems a little risky.

What I'd like to find is something to put into the evaporator pan to disinfect
dirty water when it drains there, so the water would evaporate before it
started to stink.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, Nick wrote:
I noticed an odor, searched hi, low and under, in the end I found that my
Bioastin wasn't sealed!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 1/31/2017 7:44 AM, Nick wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, Nick wrote:
I noticed an odor, searched hi, low and under, in the end I found that my
Bioastin wasn't sealed!

"Good morning, ma'am. This is Albert from ACME Electrical Company.
We've had some reports of power outages in your area. Would you kindly
go and see if your refrigerator is running?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Higgs Boson, Tlee1005 wrote:
I have same issue and did all of that, no results.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2017 1:14 PM, Tlee1005 wrote:
replying to Higgs Boson, Tlee1005 wrote:
I have same issue and did all of that, no results.

Replying to Higgs 4 year old post rest assured that she now smells worse
than her refrigerator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 13:27:23 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/28/2017 1:14 PM, Tlee1005 wrote:
replying to Higgs Boson, Tlee1005 wrote:
I have same issue and did all of that, no results.

Replying to Higgs 4 year old post rest assured that she now smells worse
than her refrigerator.

She sure won't be posting a personal document here anymore. If you
get my drift. She hasn't been back after that. Her house was a mess
but the land is worth some bucks in Malibu :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes newspapers wadded up do the trick!!! Now find out WHY it smells
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you morons turn a thread about a smelly fridge into a right wing nut rant spewing Fox News rote nonsense like some robot clones?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Lisa, Luke wrote:
I had the exact same problem it turned out to be a bad defrost element. Took
the frlg apart. The bad element was black. When it took it off and got it
outside it was definitely the source of the smell. I had searched threes also
and got the same suggestions as you. Nowhere have I found mention of this
problem

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mar Mar is offline

replying to Luke, Mar wrote:
Where was that element found? A technician already checked out my
refrigerator and said nothing was wrong with it. My fridge was clean as a
whistle and he still gave the standard recommendation to use vanilla, baking
soda, coffee beans, etc. My refrigerator is less than a year old, and I have
had this smell for three months now, so I don't believe that coils could be
causing the smell.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mar, Sean Latham wrote:
did you ever solve the smell with your new fridge? I have a Whirpool less than
5 month old that has the same problem.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Higgs Boson, Michelle Banks wrote:
My fridge is new and I smell an odor, it's not food it's just a really weird
smell.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Stephanie Warner wrote:
Ya right .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-762323-.htm