Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the cost of having a electric pole relocated

I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-761004-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:46:08 +0000, Tammy
wrote:

I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

Thousands. It is not just a matter of digging a hole and plopping it
in the new spot. Wires may have to be replaced or extended. Easements
may have to be done, engineering study and plans, then a crew with a
couple of trucks and a few linemen. It won't be easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tammy, passerby wrote:
Tammy wrote:

I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of my
yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I think

the
pole powers 3 different homes

I think it's almost a guarantee the two other homeowners would not want to
pay for it. However, if you haven't signed the contract yet, you may be
able to get something from the seller to put towards the project. And it
is a *major* expense.

They keep saying it's seller's market now but all regions are different.
Maybe in your area the seller would be more agreeable. May also be useful
to find out how the pole ended up in the middle of that property in the
first place. Was that a subdivision? I mean, it's not common to have a
pole literally in the middle of a yard. Perhaps there's more to this
situation that you even know about. Definitely do more research about the
property.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-761004-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2013 7:46 AM, Tammy wrote:
I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

They probably have a recorded right-of-way that covers the pole
location. My former home in Redmond, Oregon, has a power company right
of way for 60 ft. from the edge of the street. All other properties
along the power line have similar rights-of-way, but that didn't stop
anyone from building out on the right-of-way. The city/county was
oblivious to the building restrictions. Probably the same for your
future home.

Have you realtor check the deeded restrictions for the property.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

The power company might well have a bigger easement already than the
spot where the pole is located. Call them first, explain that you are
supposed to put a deposit on the property in the next couple days, and
maybe they can get back to you with a price sooner than you'd expect.

AEP is the Arabian Emirates Power company, right? I don't know much
about their customer service, but the only way to learn is to ask.

I agree with passerby that there might be more to this than meets the
eye.

Are other poles on the same street in the middle of people's yards?
Maybe they can just move the pole closer to the street?

Is there a house built on your property already? Maybe the parents
owned all one big lot, gave half to a kid and his wife, then they
both were moving and they realized there was enough land in the middle
to build a third house. So a pole that was once on the border between
two lots ended up in the middle of the new third lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:07:40 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 8/27/2013 7:46 AM, Tammy wrote:
I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

They probably have a recorded right-of-way that covers the pole
location. My former home in Redmond, Oregon, has a power company right
of way for 60 ft. from the edge of the street. All other properties
along the power line have similar rights-of-way, but that didn't stop
anyone from building out on the right-of-way. The city/county was
oblivious to the building restrictions. Probably the same for your
future home.

Have you realtor check the deeded restrictions for the property.

Paul

If the realtor isn't as fast at this as she could be, you can prob
ably go to the County Clerk's office, or maybe it's called the
Register of Deeds where you are and look at the deed to the property,
and everything related to it.

This is all public information.

People who work for title search companies and do this for

In my case, the deed doesn't describe the property. It only refers
readers to a plat, a map of all 100 houses the builder built over two
years. If I look at that, it shows the utility easements, including
parking lot drainage, utility (which includes sewer, electric,
telephone, and water). It doesn't show where they buried the wires
and pipes that go to each home. We don't have poles so it can't show
them. But this all varies from state to state.

I used to go to the county courthouse to see this stuff, and it was
a dollar a page to print it iirc, but in the last few years, it's all
gone on computer at their office, and soon after that, it went online
so I can look at plats from the whole county, the whole state, without
leaving home.

I'm not sure about deeds without plats, but the people who work in
that office in Baltimore County were very helpful to me and I'm
nobody. They're probably helpful where you are too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/27/2013 7:46 AM, Tammy wrote:
I am buying property& there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

They probably have a recorded right-of-way that covers the pole
location. My former home in Redmond, Oregon, has a power company right
of way for 60 ft. from the edge of the street. All other properties
along the power line have similar rights-of-way, but that didn't stop
anyone from building out on the right-of-way. The city/county was
oblivious to the building restrictions. Probably the same for your
future home.

Have you realtor check the deeded restrictions for the property.

Paul

There are actually 2 main classes of this kind of thing. A Right of
Way is generally along the street and you do not own that property. An
Easement is property you own but you are restricted in what you can do
there and whomever has easement rights can do whatever they need to
access that easement

There is also another issue with power lines, You really can't build
under one unless it is very high up even if it is your property.
Simply moving the pole may not make that area buildable.
They probably would not let you build in the easement no matter what.

This really sounds like it is making that lot more trouble than it is
worth.,

You are correct. It is an easement. A right of way is in effect until
it is abandoned, the it is divided equally to property owners on each
side. The property I mentioned has two electrical easements. Second one
enlarging the first. Another easement is for an irrigation canal.

Don't call the power company. They don't know anything about easements.
Only their lawyers.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
For me, I won't bother purchasing that property. Easement(utility right
of way) is pretty HARD to deal with. Even if pole can be relocated, it
does not end there. Recabling, even other poles have to be realigned
and, who knows what else is involved.

Finding where the underground cables, gas line, water pipes, etc. is
easy. Just call your local "One call does it, Call B4 you di" outfit.
Their service is free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I do have a copy of the deed & there is no mention of AEP service pole anywhere

The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-761004-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2013 8:44 PM, Tammy wrote:
The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

Then all you need is a chainsaw!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 00:44:02 +0000, Tammy
wrote:

The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

Usually (almost always) the pole is put up and owned by one utility
and used by it and others**. Around here I think it's the phone
company. So I'd go out there and look at the pole and see how many
and what kind of wires are on it. If you can't tell, post a picture
somewhere, and a link here, and we can probably tell. Take
pictures of the wires going into the houses too. If there are 3
almost identical wires, or if they come from a box about the size of a
small refrigerator, that's electricity. The phone only takes what
looks like one wire.

Or, if you are only going by the deed, the pole might not be there at
all.

If you don't live where the property is, the real estate agent should
be willing to do this for you, and these days, to take pictures I
would think.

**I have a friend who in the 80's used to be in charge*** of the
telephone pole database for the city of New York. While there are no
poles in most of Manhattan and large parts of Brooklyn, there are
plenty of poles in the much of the rest of the city. Someone else
was in charge of the tree database. Despite the novel _A Tree Grows
in Brooklyn_, which, before we got there, gave both my brother and me
separately the idea that there was only one, NYC has over a million
trees.

***This wasn't all he did. I think after he made some changes to the
computer records, it only took a couple minutes of time most weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tammy, a little for you at the bottom.

wrote:

[...]

Right. The homeowner, in this case, owns the property, and the
utilty owns the easement, the right to use the property in limited
ways.

And, maybe by implication, the homeowner doesnt' have the right to use
the property in a way that will interfere with the utility, or in the
case of a right of way, whoever owns the streets (the city or
county)..

OTOH, this last limitation is often ignored and no one gets upset if
it doesn't cause a problem. For example, the guy I bought my house
from planted bushes above the utility easement, and the drainage
easement too, to delineate his property line. No one minds but if
OT3H they ever need to dig up the bushes to do something to a utility
line, they don't have to ask me and my complaints would mean nothing.
OT4H, when they put in FIOS, they put their plastic connection box
(about 20 x 14 inches) right next to my bushes (on my neighbor's
land) and they ran the cable under my bushes without hurting them.
And everyone has a sidewalk going to their door which crosses the
utility easement. And the FIOS people ran the cable under all of the
sidewalks too. They're not being especially nice because the Public
Utilitiy Commission requires this.

WRT right of ways, when we moved into a suburban house near
Indianapolis almost 60 years ago, some people including our seller
had planted bushes almost all the way to the two-lane street we lived
on, and a few trees almost as close. While others kept their
planting back 20 feet, off the right of way that the county still
owned. They didnt' want the county to widen the road and chop down
everything they had planted, but it looked funny. 56 years later,
the road is still two lanes wide, and even though there is loads of
home construction north of there, people take Meridian St. (which is 6
lanes) or the Xway to get to those homes. So it looks like the road
may never be widened. (But many streets do get widened.)

There is also another issue with power lines, You really can't build
under one unless it is very high up even if it is your property.
Simply moving the pole may not make that area buildable.
They probably would not let you build in the easement no matter what.

This really sounds like it is making that lot more trouble than it is
worth.,

You are correct. It is an easement. A right of way is in effect until
it is abandoned, the it is divided equally to property owners on each
side. The property I mentioned has two electrical easements. Second one
enlarging the first. Another easement is for an irrigation canal.

Don't call the power company. They don't know anything about easements.
Only their lawyers.

But she doesn't need to know about the easement. She needs to know
what it would cost to move the pole, and the lawyers don't know
anything about that.

BTW, Tammy, have you tried Google maps street view to see a bit of
what the pole looks like?

I remember now that we had a telephone pole at the side edge of the
property halfway back from the house to the rear boundary, My mother
screwed in a big eye, and put one end of the clothes line on it. No
one complained. (We had a dryer too.)

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tammy wrote:
The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

Why are you posting this in a new thread? All responses should stay within
the thread your started earlier or things get very hard to follow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tammy wrote:
The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

Hmmm,
It is in the master plan when the sub division was developed. I don't
know how old the neighborhood is. Also your property land survey map
shows easement or utility right of way. Also blue print for the house.
At least where I live. Our house sits on a corner lot with two sides
having 5 feet wide utility right of way from sidewalk.
If they dig up there to work on the gas line, they suppose to restore
every thing the way they were like lawn, shrubs, things like that. All
the utilities are under ground. No poles, nothing overhead in this
neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I do have a copy of the Maginot Line Blueprints

Some people have no nettiquitte.
puts on asbestos underwear

Tammy needs to find a Usenet provider, and
Usenet reader to enjoy the rich, full experience
offered to Usenet users. Low calories, and just
a bare min of carbs, too.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/27/2013 10:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Tammy wrote:
The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

Why are you posting this in a new thread? All responses should stay within
the thread your started earlier or things get very hard to follow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am buying property & there is an AEP power pole right in the center of
my yard. Anyone no the cost to have it moved to a different spot. I
think the pole powers 3 different homes

4 poles cost me 18K+
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The deed I have only states there is a telephone pole at the beginning of
the property. Absolutely no where does it state a electrical pole is
located anywhere on the land or any kind of easements except for the
telephone pile.

You may need to look at the county plat for the easement.
As I said before, the real answer will come from the utility company
engineering department.

That's right and there's probably a utility rate schedule approved by the
state utility commission that covers such things as pole relocation costs.
Much of that information is on line these days; but you have to hunt through
it. As others have said, start by calling the utility company. They may
ask you for the pole number which should be a tag or a series of metal
numbers nailed onto the pole.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Hwang, Joyce Harris wrote:
We don't live in a subdivision. We own 2 1/2 acres of land in Loganville, GA.
We built a $450,000.00 home on the land. Our home has underground utilities.
When we built, I didn't realize the pole would remain. It should be on the
edge of our land but it is at least 30 feet from the edge.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ed-761004-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to athiker, Joyce Harris wrote:
Our utilities are underground on our land to our home. That one pole is an
eye sore.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ed-761004-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/19 9:14 AM, Joyce Harris wrote:
replying to athiker, Joyce Harris wrote:
Our utilities are underground on our land to our home.Â* That one pole is an
eye sore.

Depends on where you live.

Wealthy areas get buried utilities.Â* Unimportant poor people get the cheaper aerial stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:49:26 -0400, Tom wrote:

On 3/15/19 9:14 AM, Joyce Harris wrote:
replying to athiker, Joyce Harris wrote:
Our utilities are underground on our land to our home.Â* That one pole is an
eye sore.

Depends on where you live.

Wealthy areas get buried utilities.Â* Unimportant poor people get the cheaper aerial stuff.

It really depends on how old your community is and how the people
there feel about having their front yards torn up.
Newer communities got buried utilities as part of the land
development. Done as an afterthought can be quite destructive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2019 10:49 AM, Tom wrote:
On 3/15/19 9:14 AM, Joyce Harris wrote:
replying to athiker, Joyce Harris wrote:
Our utilities are underground on our land to our home.Â* That one pole
is an
eye sore.

Depends on where you live.

Wealthy areas get buried utilities.Â* Unimportant poor people get the
cheaper aerial stuff.

I used to laugh where I lived in CT. We were the last house with
overhead wires. Below me was a development of about 24 homes with
underground utilities. They would often go dark in a storm and we never
flickered. It was still overhead from the power station to their
underground drop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:16:18 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:49:26 -0400, Tom wrote:

On 3/15/19 9:14 AM, Joyce Harris wrote:
replying to athiker, Joyce Harris wrote:
Our utilities are underground on our land to our home.* That one pole is an
eye sore.

Depends on where you live.

Wealthy areas get buried utilities.* Unimportant poor people get the cheaper aerial stuff.

It really depends on how old your community is and how the people
there feel about having their front yards torn up.
Newer communities got buried utilities as part of the land
development. Done as an afterthought can be quite destructive.

Yes, I haven't done a survey, but I think even low-cost housing is built
most of the time these days with underground wiring. But most poor
people don't live in newly-built housing. They live in houses which
were built decades ago for middle income or poor (and sometimes for very
upper middle income) during the time when all wiring was done from
poles**. It costs a fortune to redo that, just so people won't see
wires (and you have to do t he phone lines at the same time or there
will still be poles and wires) when they actually have working electric
and phone service. So it's pretty low priority.

**Either it hadn't occurred to people to bury the wires or they didnd't
have wires etc. that could handle it????

Also in many places, homeowners are expected to chip in a lot of the
cost for improvements like this (Just play Monopoloy and you'll get an
idea), and a minimum percentage of owners have to agree to it. 50, 80%
I'm guessing Poor people have more important things to spend their
money on than the view and the possibility of fewer outages. So do I.

I have underground wiring for about 170 yards from my house, and then
it's onto poles. We have very few outages, and most are only a second
or two. If the wires were showing now, I wouldn't pay $500 to bury
them, and I have more money than poor people.