Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trex - horrible to paint

Since I was painting the (wood) back porch, thought I'd paint the (Trex) side steps to match. (Yes, the Trex is several years old, so that wasn't a problem).

Terrible idea!

After scrubbing and rinsing the steps and letting them dry, I applied BM acrylic. Or rather TRIED to apply. Never saw such a miserable surface. Streaks and iffy coverage. Used a lot of time and a lot of expensive paint. Second coat helped only a little. Still streaks, etc.

After the fact, went on-line. Trex only approves 2 coverage, both stains.
But other sites don't specifically say don't use paint.

Wish I'd left the Trex alone; it was an unobtrusive pinkish beige-ish color

Was this a unique experience? What, if anything, did I do wrong?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 00:40:30 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Since I was painting the (wood) back porch, thought I'd paint the (Trex) side steps to match. (Yes, the Trex is several years old, so that wasn't a problem).

Terrible idea!

After scrubbing and rinsing the steps and letting them dry, I applied BM acrylic. Or rather TRIED to apply. Never saw such a miserable surface. Streaks and iffy coverage. Used a lot of time and a lot of expensive paint. Second coat helped only a little. Still streaks, etc.

After the fact, went on-line. Trex only approves 2 coverage, both stains.
But other sites don't specifically say don't use paint.

Wish I'd left the Trex alone; it was an unobtrusive pinkish beige-ish color

Was this a unique experience? What, if anything, did I do wrong?

TIA

HB

What you did wrong was painting the Trex. As you found out, only 2
stains are approved for it. No paint is. Only the Trex site is what
matter, not the fact that other sites don't say to paint. Trex is a
man made product with additives in it so it stays good looking for
years with little maintenance. Those same ingredients also make it
impossible to paint.

The only reason I'd use Trex is to avoid painting and staining. Now
replace it with real hardwood and oil it to keep it looking beautiful.
I used Tigerwood and enjoy the beauty every time I step on the deck.

You (finally) went to the proper source for information and still
doubt them. Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used BM latex stain with no problems at all. 1 coat on a deck which
they wanted a redwood look. Still looks good 3 years later. That's what the
customer wanted.

--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.
Senior Member

Trex is a wood composite material that doesn't need paint to protect it from the Sun or from absorbing rain water.

If you painted with a latex paint, then that paint is too soft to provide good service on a working surface such as a step. Just use the steps normally, and the paint should wear off on it's own. (It'll likely get very dirty looking because dirt will become embedded in it underfoot. If you get fed up with it, I expect that any paint stripper would take latex paint off of Trex without harming the Trex, but test in an inconspicuous area first.

Rejoice, Higgs. What you did was acquire "experience". Now, if anyone ever asks you if they should paint their Trex decking, you have all the experience needed to answer their question with both confidence and authority, having done that once yourself.

If you get tired of the way that paint looks, take it off with a paint stripper. Just check that the paint stripper doesn't affect the Trex by testing it in an inconspicuous area.

Last edited by nestork : July 7th 13 at 09:38 PM

Senior Member

The pressure washer is an excellent idea. If it takes paint off of siding and
wooden fences, it'll take it off of Trex.

I'd use the pressure washer first, and then use a paint scraper and/or paint stripper on anything the pressure washer doesn't remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2013 4:24 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

The Trex on my dock was a combination of wood and recycled plastic; main
purpose of big $ for Trex is never having to paint it....I would be
reluctant to try stripper on it. If anything, sanding and scraping.
Might even work to use hot water, soap and a stiff brush to get paint
off....and do it before finishing the other paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2013 8:26 AM, Norminn wrote:
[...]

From what I read, Trex is a PVC wood composite. Most common solvents
will attack PVC. Color in Trex is throughout and should be recoverable
by buffing it up as with other colored plastics. Trex website gives
details on its care.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:42:23 PM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2013, someone wrote:

I'd take a WAG that a pressure washer would strip the paint off in a
moment.

You read my mind! I was just wondering how long it would take to
wear off.
Dunno if I'm up for it right this minute, as I have to paint the back
porch, but I will sure keep idea in mind!

I was thinking the same thing about the pressure washer.

If you just recently did the painting, I think now would be the time to try
the pressure washer -- before the paint really cures fully.

I assume you can rent a pressure washer at Home Depot or any tool rental
place.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank[_17_] View Post
From what I read, Trex is a PVC wood composite. Most common solvents
will attack PVC. Color in Trex is throughout and should be recoverable
by buffing it up as with other colored plastics. Trex website gives
details on its care.
It probably is PVC. PVC is commonly used for plastics that will be spending their lives outdoors because of it's inherently good resistance to UV light.

But, I clean my PVC roller windows with acetone all the time and it doesn't hurt the windows.
So, I'd kinda doubt that PVC would dissolve in acetone.

acetone will dissolve latex paints very aggressively.

Last edited by nestork : July 8th 13 at 04:46 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:27:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:59:17 GMT, wrote:

I have used BM latex stain with no problems at all. 1 coat on a

deck which

they wanted a redwood look. Still looks good 3 years later. That's

what the

customer wanted.

On 7-Jul-2013, Higgs Boson wrote:

Since I was painting the (wood) back porch, thought I'd paint the

(Trex)

side steps to match. (Yes, the Trex is several years old, so that

wasn't a

problem).

Terrible idea!

Depends what Trex you have - the raw or the coated. The coated

stuff

can NOT be stained - and most paint won't stick.

I guess it's not coated; the paint more or less "sticks" after 2

ooats.

Damn, damn, damn. The original color of the Tres was quite

satisfactory...!

I'd take a WAG that a pressure washer would strip the paint off in a moment.

You read my mind! I was just wondering how long it would take to wear off.
Dunno if I'm up for it right this minute, as I have to paint the back porch, but I will sure keep idea in mind!

Tx

HB

Here is a link to Trex care instructions, advising not to use pressure
washer or to sand:

http://www.trex.com/trex/groups/cont...xmd_004313.pdf

Depending on how finely mixed the wood and plastic is, you might end up
with plastic

fuzzies sticking out where the wood gets blasted away, and then what?
I helped a neighbor remove

latex paint (dried) from a parquet floor (indoors) with Formula 409,
warm water and plastic scrubber.

It worked nicely and by drying right away it did no damage to the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2013 11:41 AM, nestork wrote:
'Frank[_17_ Wrote:
;3089555']
From what I read, Trex is a PVC wood composite. Most common solvents
will attack PVC. Color in Trex is throughout and should be recoverable

by buffing it up as with other colored plastics. Trex website gives
details on its care.

It probably is PVC. PVC is commonly used for plastics that will be
spending their lives outdoors because of it's inherently good resistance
to UV light.

But, I clean my PVC roller windows with acetone all the time and it
doesn't hurt the windows.
So, I'd kinda doubt that PVC would dissolve in acetone.

acetone will dissolve latex paints very aggressively.

Right, I see acetone is a near solvent:

http://peer.tamu.edu/curriculum_modu.../activity3.htm

I'd still be careful with it as solvents can sometimes cause stress
cracking.

I followed thread because I wondered what Trex was made of.
Concerned it might be PE which is not as weather-able.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 05:42:58 -0800 (PST), been sorry for 17 years
wrote:

[...]

What you did wrong was try to paint an unpaintable surface. The
uncoated Trex can be coloured using a penetrating transparent or
semitransparent stain - not too much in the world of "paint" that will
stick to the stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:19:31 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Laughable (old) post. He says he went on line after the fact and says
Trex only approves 2 coatings and then asks what he did wrong. Duh, RTFM

Think it was Oren that posted op's name

Actually she kept poking at me about sources I posted. Later she ****
in her mess kit so I went Alley Oop on her. The fool posted her
license receipt for Agent newsreader, giving her real name. I knew
about where she lived so I posted her property records that were
online.and a photo of her home shack in Santa Barbara.

She has never come back since. Last I heard she was in one of the food
groups :-)

Shout out to Sara!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:19:31 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Laughable (old) post. He says he went on line after the fact and says
Trex only approves 2 coatings and then asks what he did wrong. Duh, RTFM

Think it was Oren that posted op's name

Actually she kept poking at me about sources I posted. Later she ****
in her mess kit so I went Alley Oop on her. The fool posted her
license receipt for Agent newsreader, giving her real name. I knew
about where she lived so I posted her property records that were
online.and a photo of her home shack in Santa Barbara.

She has never come back since. Last I heard she was in one of the food
groups :-)

Shout out to Sara!

If she's in the food groups she would be ripe for eating. Sara Lee?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hello,

Thanks for your post. I too made a small error with 'cleaning' my Trex. I did the first cleansing with zero soap in the pressure washer 2000 psi. It looked great, black dirt was gone, sable brown again. Then 5 days later, after finishing the back patio, steps, etc. I was back on the front deck, and had added 'Purple Power' (vs Simple Green) b/c I had 2 bottles at home.. I began soaping, and white suds was coming out, stopped immediately, and check my soap bin, had run low on water, so added up to full to dilute the purple I had added to minimal water. Then diluted the already sprayed deck with lots of water to reduce the strength.---After 3 hours, found that the PP does take off paint - yikes, so my sable brown is now somewhat deep beige, a lot lighter color than the original dirt black, but now I am praying to get out of the trouble I caused by not using Simple Green. Had I just used water and not soap as I did on the first portion, I would be much happier today
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:51:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Paint doesn't stick to plastic grocery bags worth a hoot - and that
is what Trex is made from - Low density Polyethelene and wood.
Stain apparently works pretty good (the right stain) - but the beauty
of the stuff is it doesn't NEED stain (or paint)
I think I was smart - I used the Trex Transcend. It costs a bit more,
but it cleans with a mop or broom, is virtually stain proof, and looks
GREAT. I used it for my front porch, replacing the cedar I originally
built it with.
The rear deck is still PT SYP, installed 21 years ago and starting to
show it's age.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our Trex deck is 5 years old and is sable brown. We have boards that are turning white and other boards turning black. What the heck can be done to get my color back. I have washed it as recommended and in a few hours it is back. I'm lost as what to do. I've even used the stain recommended and it comes back right away. Any suggestions? Very frustrated and tired!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2017 9:17 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/21/2017 9:08 AM, wrote:
Our Trex deck is 5 years old and is sable brown. We have boards that
are turning white and other boards turning black. What the heck can be
done to get my color back. I have washed it as recommended and in a
few hours it is back. I'm lost as what to do. I've even used the stain
recommended and it comes back right away. Any suggestions? Very
frustrated and tired!

Replace it. Check your local lumber yard or
http://www.advantagelumber.com/

Thank you for reinforcing my decision NOT to use Trex.

I'm putting out bids for one in the fall. The old Trex was just
polyethylene which the chemist in me said it would not weather and it
didn't. The new Trex has a vinyl surface.

Trex has been out there for years now and I would assume they have
learned not only to use a better polymer surface but also stable colors.

Friends with newer Trex decks are happy with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:17:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/21/2017 9:08 AM, wrote:
Our Trex deck is 5 years old and is sable brown. We have boards that are turning white and other boards turning black. What the heck can be done to get my color back. I have washed it as recommended and in a few hours it is back. I'm lost as what to do. I've even used the stain recommended and it comes back right away. Any suggestions? Very frustrated and tired!

Replace it. Check your local lumber yard or
http://www.advantagelumber.com/

Thank you for reinforcing my decision NOT to use Trex.

The new clad trex is WAY different than the original trex, which you
can no longer buy. The old "rough" TREX was knarly stuff. - the clad
product MUCH better. Mine is coming up 10 or 12 years and looks like
new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I used Trex to build a 20' X 16' deck about 8 years old. I have to clean it at least twice a year because it molds and mildews. Not why I spend the $$$ for trex. I would never use this product again. Not only do I have to clean it at least twice a year but it has faded from saddle brown to a beige from the cleaning solution recommended by Trex. My deck is not shaded so there is no reason that I can think of why the Trex I used looks ugly within a few months after it has been cleaned. Pain in the rear and never would use Trex again, oh did I already say that???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I posted a year and a half ago about getting Trex deck and it still
looks great without the problems you mentioned.

I suspect you got the early Trex product that did have these problems
but now they have apparently been fixed.

When I considered using a man made product instead of wood, a big factor
was lifetime experience. Trex has been around for maybe 20 years now
and had its growing pains but is matured and holding up better.

When if first came out, as a chemist, I was skeptical that a blend of
polyethylene and sawdust would not hold up mainly because of PE being
degraded by UV. I don't know about the initial problem but now it is
faced with PVC which has good light stability. Some dyes and pigments
are degraded by light so hopefully they now only use those that hold up.
There are plenty of additives that could retard the wood molding and
apparently they now use them. Too bad you had to be an early user and
experience these problems. I hope you have a warranty and get upgraded
replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If mildew and similar are the problem, instead of washing it every year,
how about if he sprays it with bleach couple times a year? You could do
that with a garden sprayer in a few minutes. I'd do it just before rain
is forecast, so it later gets washed off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is a product that
Kills algae and mold, then you let sun bleach it. Works all summer long.
Mostly for roof but other things too.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

If mildew and similar are the problem, instead of washing it every year,
how about if he sprays it with bleach couple times a year? You could do
that with a garden sprayer in a few minutes. I'd do it just before rain
is forecast, so it later gets washed off.

There is a product that
Kills algae and mold, then you let sun bleach it. Works all summer long.
Mostly for roof but other things too.

Bleach only provides very short-term mildew relief anyway.

Trex or ??? Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 12 May 22nd 12 04:10 AM
Horrible Fright first aid kit Stormin Mormon[_7_] Metalworking 9 April 11th 12 02:53 PM
Removing paint from TREX tenplay Home Repair 4 August 31st 07 10:09 PM
Which Trex is Best? Andrew Duane Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 09:04 PM
Which Trex is Best? Jack Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 03:00 PM