Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Timers for electric range top burners ???

Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers
which can be set for the electric burners on the
cooktop ??

Thanks ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 12:43*pm, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers
which can be set for the electric burners on the
cooktop ??

Thanks ...

Never seen one. Only for ovens. Probably doesn't exist
because of the obvious safety implications. Even with an
oven there is some risk, but with a stove top, I think it would
be so risky that manufacturers would not make it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 10, 2013 1:01:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Jun 10, 12:43*pm, Robert wrote:

Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers

which can be set for the electric burners on the

cooktop ??

Thanks ...

Never seen one. Only for ovens. Probably doesn't exist

because of the obvious safety implications. Even with an

oven there is some risk, but with a stove top, I think it would

be so risky that manufacturers would not make it.

I've always thought that stove/ranges should have an auto shutoff timer feature. If the over/burners are on without any changes to the total power draw for more than 4 hours the whole thing should shut off. Bet that would prevent a fair number of house fires.
Senior Member

Trader4 is probably right. An oven bake element gets red hot, but it's hidden away inside the oven where it's not going to unintentionally start a fire. A burner element could easily do that if there are overhanging drapes from a window.

You could make such a thing with an electric hot plate and a digital timer.

Nowadays digital timers come with up to 20 ON-OFF cycles that can be set independantly throughout the day. A digital timer with a single on/off cycle would be all you'd need to turn on the electric hot plate for an hour or two each day.

But I've never seen a range timer control any surface elements either.

Last edited by nestork : June 10th 13 at 08:12 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
jamesgang wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2013 1:01:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Jun 10, 12:43*pm, Robert wrote:

Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers

which can be set for the electric burners on the

cooktop ??

Thanks ...

Never seen one. Only for ovens. Probably doesn't exist

because of the obvious safety implications. Even with an

oven there is some risk, but with a stove top, I think it would

be so risky that manufacturers would not make it.

I've always thought that stove/ranges should have an auto shutoff timer
feature. If the over/burners are on without any changes to the total power
draw for more than 4 hours the whole thing should shut off. Bet that would
prevent a fair number of house fires.

in theory my induction cooktop has this feature, but I've never tried it
out

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgang" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I've always thought that stove/ranges should have an auto shutoff timer
feature. If the over/burners are on without any changes to the total power
draw for more than 4 hours the whole thing should shut off. Bet that would
prevent a fair number of house fires.

I think you're absolutely correct, so much so that I put my toaster oven on
a 30 minute spring-wound timer outlet after it failed to shut off and nearly
did burn the house down. I had put some english muffins in and went
downstairs to look for something and when I heard the smoke detector, the
kitchen was already engulfed in thick smoke and the muffins were little
black hockey pucks. Of course, a 220VAC oven would harder to wire up that
way, but I agree that such a fail-safe would likely prevent at least a few
fires.

Cooking fires that start with left-on burners happen with alarming frequency
to people suffering from diseases that affect cognitive functioning and
often are the trigger for children moving their elderly parents into
assisted living.

http://www.firesafetyfoundation.org/...e-elderly.html

Americans over the age of 65 are one of the groups at greatest risk of
dying in a fire. On average, more than 900 Americans age 65 and over die in
fires. People over the age of 85 die in fires at a rate five times higher
than the rest of the population. However, there are a number of
precautionary steps older Americans can take to dramatically reduce their
chances of becoming a fire casualty . . . Cooking accidents are the leading
cause of fire related injuries for older Americans. The kitchen is one of
the most active and potentially dangerous rooms in the home.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/10/2013 9:43 AM, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers
which can be set for the electric burners on the
cooktop ??

It's a great idea, and it's been patented
http://www.google.com/patents/US5693245 but I've never actually seen one.

There's this unit: http://www.cookstop.com/about_product.html but it's
rather expensive and it turns off the whole cooktop and oven, not
individual burners.

Now if you were willing to turn off the whole cook top (for a separate
cook top anyway) you could have a timer connected to one of these
http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/index.php/electrical/relays-contactors/contactor-3-pole-240v-50a-410305.html
down where the cook top plugs in.

The reluctance on the part of appliance manufacturers to provide
auto-shutoff timers on individual burners probably relates to legal
issues. It might encourage people to leave cook tops unattended. OTOH,
an automatic shut-off of the entire unit based on motion sensing might
be okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2013 11:43 AM, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers
which can be set for the electric burners on the
cooktop ??

Thanks ...

There's an aftermarket device for ranges that sounds like it might fit
the bill:

Stove Guard
The Best Stovetop Fire Prevention System

http://stoveguard.ca/ or
http://www.stoveguardintl.com/

For electric or gas ranges and cooktops. It's not cheap, but it's
designed to automatically shut off when it detects no motion in the
vicinity of the range after a certain period of time. It also has a
programmable lockout mode to prevent people with cognitive
disabilities from turning the stove on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/10/2013 1:59 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Americans over the age of 65 are one of the groups at greatest risk of
dying in a fire. On average, more than 900 Americans age 65 and over die in
fires. People over the age of 85 die in fires at a rate five times higher
than the rest of the population. However, there are a number of
precautionary steps older Americans can take to dramatically reduce their
chances of becoming a fire casualty . . . Cooking accidents are the leading
cause of fire related injuries for older Americans. The kitchen is one of
the most active and potentially dangerous rooms in the home.

I think the reason that you don't see auto-shut-offs on cook tops is
that appliance manufacturers don't want consumers using such a device as
a timer rather than as a fail-safe shut-off. There would almost
certainly be liability issues the first time someone had a fire and
insisted that the auto-shut-off timer should have prevented it.

The motion sensor device to shut off the electricity after a short
period of time does make some sense because it requires that the stove
top be attended. A 15 minute manual timer connected to a relay that's
connected to the cook top power would also be okay because it would
constantly have to be reset. Ovens are less of an issue if it's left on
unattended because a fire is much less likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 12:31 pm, wrote:

I asked this question a month or so ago. I think he is talking about a
"turn off" timer, not a "turn on" timer.
Basically you could limit the length of time a "left on" burner would
burn.

You are correct. I have no interest in turning the thing on when
I'm not around, but if I get busy and forget about a pot on the
stove, I'd rather it shut off, uncooked, than turn everything to
carbon...
The older I get, the more likely it is to happen. However ,
reading the various answers here, it looks like there isn't
one available. I'm not interested in motion detectors, unless
it is paired with a timer. Thanks for your reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 4:14 pm, sms wrote:
[...]

I looked up the "Cookstop" and it looks like it might do the
job, but it costs more than the oven..... VERY pricey........
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose you're right. It does seem odd that people would find fault with
a device that automatically shuts off the burners/range top since there
isn't any sort of safety shutdown on them now. In addition to an
auto-timer, ranges should have a remotely locatable temperature sensor that
would shut down the burners if the temperature in the cabinets or range hood
directly over the burners/heating elements reached a critical level.
Considering all the safety devices that are developed for the electrical
"grid" in the house (AFCI, breakers, GFCI's, etc) ranges and toaster-ovens
seem pretty far behind the times.

The motion sensor device to shut off the electricity after a short
period of time does make some sense because it requires that the stove
top be attended. A 15 minute manual timer connected to a relay that's
connected to the cook top power would also be okay because it would
constantly have to be reset. Ovens are less of an issue if it's left on
unattended because a fire is much less likely.

Thanks for the idea, Steven. I could easily hook up the electric toaster
oven to an X10 motion sensor and have it shut off the toaster oven if it's
unattended for more than 10 minutes. Might even be possible to create a
photocell sensor that detects when the inside of the toaster oven is too
bright thus indicating it's on fire inside.

Since the toaster oven has a mechanical switch that has to be depressed to
start the cycle I am not too worried about the X10 system inadvertently
turning the unit on and starting a fire. It would take both the activation
of the appliance module AND a press of the "start" button to turn it on.
The motion sensor system would do away with having to start the separate
timer for each use. Putting the toaster on an X10 module would be I could
use a number of conditions to evaluate when to turn off power to the unit.
I could even use a smoke detector to activate the shut-down sequence with a
little soldering. I already have X10 compatible heat detectors that can be
used to sense when the area above the toaster over is warm enough to
indicate a potential problem.

I wish I could implement the same system to monitor the gas range. I
suppose I could try to find an electronically controllable gas valve and
install it on the gas line going to the stove. That way I could interrupt
the gas flow to the stove when a hazard was detected just like I can control
the toaster oven.

Not sure that would pass muster with the codemeisters but it should since
the goal is to reduce the chance of a fire started by the range top. The
biggest problem I can see is that the stove is pilot-lighted and when gas is
restored, the pilot light must be relit. I suppose that's only a problem
for devices with pilot lights since there's no "vampiric" gas flow to keep
the pilot light going on piezo-starter equipped stoves.

It's easy to get distracted from cooking (like when I heard the neighbor's
dog chewing up the mailman) long enough for disaster to strike.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 08:44:49 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I would probably use it all the time, the same way I use the sleep
switch on my radio most of the time, not just when I'm intending to go
to sleep but during the day too, so I don't have to remember to turn
the radio off.

auto-timer, ranges should have a remotely locatable temperature sensor that
would shut down the burners if the temperature in the cabinets or range hood
directly over the burners/heating elements reached a critical level.
Considering all the safety devices that are developed for the electrical
"grid" in the house (AFCI, breakers, GFCI's, etc) ranges and toaster-ovens
seem pretty far behind the times.

Good point. You've got my vote.

The motion sensor device to shut off the electricity after a short
period of time does make some sense because it requires that the stove
top be attended. A 15 minute manual timer connected to a relay that's
connected to the cook top power would also be okay because it would
constantly have to be reset. Ovens are less of an issue if it's left on
unattended because a fire is much less likely.

Except when there's a pan full of grease in the oven. Maybe when
it's only 1/4 full.

Thanks for the idea, Steven. I could easily hook up the electric toaster
oven to an X10 motion sensor and have it shut off the toaster oven if it's
unattended for more than 10 minutes. Might even be possible to create a
photocell sensor that detects when the inside of the toaster oven is too
bright thus indicating it's on fire inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 10, 2013 12:43:28 PM UTC-4, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers

which can be set for the electric burners on the

cooktop ??

Thanks ...

We bought an old house that had an old stove. We used the stove for years. It was an RCA and had only one of its burners controlled by a timer. It worked great and my wife loved it. Nothing since has been as good as the old RCA. And nothing has the great timer feature on a burner. It would seem that a lot of practical ideas of the past have been dispensed with now and people are unaware of an era when things had more good functions and less gimmicks. And lasted and were designed to be fixed. My Dad had a Crosley Shelvedoor Refrig that was still working after 50 yrs. The door hinge pins were wearing out.

On Monday, June 10, 2013 12:43:28 PM UTC-4, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers

which can be set for the electric burners on the

cooktop ??

Thanks ...

We
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.burneralert.com/simulator.html
This is the best solution I have seen for this problem. It sends a beeping noise every few minutes to remind you the burner is still on. My microwave has a similar reminder that I have left something in there after it finished cooking that I find very helpful. This would probably be just as effective. You put them on your burner knobs. If you leave a knob without one if you want to cook something for a long time you can choose to do that on a burner you find you don't use often like the one the tea kettle is on. I leave the kettle on that one most of the time in case I turn that burner on by accident which would make the kettle whistle after a time. If I'm going to keep something on the burner on very low like when cooking beans I set a timer. After I left eggs boiling on the stove and came back to eggs exploding all over the place when the water boiled out i don't trust myself. I mean, who wants to stand over the burner doing nothing for 15 minutes? Okay, blame the ADD but luckily there now is a solution for people like me. This is very late but I think the things only came out recently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 10:25:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
http://www.burneralert.com/simulator.html
This is the best solution I have seen for this problem. It sends a beeping noise every few minutes to remind you the burner is still on. My microwave has a similar reminder that I have left something in there after it finished cooking that I find very helpful.

I find that beeping on a microwave very annoying. Can't say I've ever
had a problem forgetting something in the microwave after it's cooked.
But the beeping every few minutes, while I'm trying to do something else,
talking to someone, now that's annoying.

And the burneralert thing is even dumber. Who wants the stove beeping
every 3 mins while it's on? Turn on 3 burners and it must really be
something. They aren't synchronized so you'd have beeping almost all the
time.

The website sucks too. Have to sit through 1 min of BS video before
it even shows what it is and what it does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 08:22:21 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

And the burneralert thing is even dumber. Who wants the stove beeping
every 3 mins while it's on?

Handy when cooking SPAM
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is also an issue, surprisingly frequent, for persons with Narcolepsy and Cataplexy. So many times the food was burned, and way too many times also, I have managed to regain function/wakefulness in the nick of time before fire resulted. Sad to say my only cooking resource is to 'nuke' everything.
Does anyone know of a 200V relay with adequate Amperage rating to set up as a timed "kill" switch for electric stoves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:17:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

This is also an issue, surprisingly frequent, for persons with Narcolepsy and Cataplexy. So many times the food was burned, and way too many times also, I have managed to regain function/wakefulness in the nick of time before fire resulted. Sad to say my only cooking resource is to 'nuke' everything.
Does anyone know of a 200V relay with adequate Amperage rating to set up as a timed "kill" switch for electric stoves?

Get a 40a SSR.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13015

That will run directly off of a solid state timer like a 555 or you
can run it off a wall wart plugged into any small spring wound timer.
I had one on our cook top when our daughter was learning to use the
stove. I used a 15 minute spring wound timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 10, 2013 at 12:43:28 PM UTC-4, Robert wrote:
Is anyone aware of an electric range that has timers
which can be set for the electric burners on the
cooktop ??

Thanks ...

i thought of this some years ago and bought some heavy duty one hour timers,(a
heavy duty version of a dial bathroom fan timer) and wired one using a short heavy duty air conditioner extension cord and nice pvc box, and used it to contol a cheap hotplate. the dinky hotplate was a drag so i replaced it with a heavy cast iron top double one which doesn't move around, and has a cold burner as a place to put a hot skillet or something if i want to. it works great.....saves endless overcooked dishes and burned utensils, as i just dial the temperature and the time and walk away. and come back to a cooked dish whenever. i have fixed up a few friends with this setup. photo of it on facebook....alexander emerson...photos. in general i see timed burners as duh obvious and much handier and safer than the usual. mine works perfectly for me. i'm sorry the rca application didn't take hold. shows how many slow people there still are. it will be reinvented and take hold some time. meanwhile it's as easy to make... as wiring a new duplex outlet, if you can do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 14:55:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

I put a spring wound timer on the front 2 burners of our stove when
our daughter was dabbling with cooking. It was a 15 minute timer and I
said if you are not in front of the stove every 15 minutes you are not
cooking. I had to do any slow cooking on the back burners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Signature range oven has a timer for the burner

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rs-751622-.htm