DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   SAE-30, SAE-30 HD - Can they be mixed? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/357026-sae-30-sae-30-hd-can-they-mixed.html)

DerbyDad03[_4_] May 26th 13 11:50 PM

SAE-30, SAE-30 HD - Can they be mixed?

My son was helping clean up the garage and decided to combine some half
empty containers of oil. He mixed a small amount of SAE 30 HD into a
larger container of SAE 30. Probably less than 25% HD.

The only thing I use SAE 30 for is my lawnmower. A little SAE 30 HD
mixed with the SAE 30 isn't going to make any difference is it?

Thanks.

dpb May 27th 13 12:03 AM

On 5/26/2013 5:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My son was helping clean up the garage and decided to combine some half
empty containers of oil. He mixed a small amount of SAE 30 HD into a
larger container of SAE 30. Probably less than 25% HD.

The only thing I use SAE 30 for is my lawnmower. A little SAE 30 HD
mixed with the SAE 30 isn't going to make any difference is it?

No. The HD is probably what is specified, anyway.

[email protected][_2_] May 27th 13 12:11 AM

On May 26, 7:03*pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/26/2013 5:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My son was helping clean up the garage and decided to combine some half
empty containers of oil. He mixed a small amount of SAE 30 HD into a
larger container of SAE 30. Probably less than 25% HD.

The only thing I use SAE 30 for is my lawnmower. A little SAE 30 HD
mixed with the SAE 30 isn't going to make any difference is it?

No. *The HD is probably what is specified, anyway.

--

HD means heavy detergent, doesn't it? I doubt it makes
a difference for the mower.

Stormin Mormon[_9_] May 27th 13 12:39 AM

SAE-30, SAE-30 HD - Can they be mixed?

HD stands for high detergent. As to lawn mower use, just fine if it's a four stroke. I wouldn't use HD oil in a two stroke.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Oren[_2_] May 27th 13 06:22 PM

SAE-30, SAE-30 HD - Can they be mixed?

On Sun, 26 May 2013 18:50:12 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

The only thing I use SAE 30 for is my lawnmower. A little SAE 30 HD
mixed with the SAE 30 isn't going to make any difference is it?

Thanks.

I vote no.

I've put kerosene in oil to clean a push rod lifter in vehicle engine.
Transmission fluid is mostly "detergent". I've put that car gas tanks
as a cleaner in the fuel system.

Granted this was many years ago.

Nothing was harmed and the lifter stopped making a racket :)