Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Must be a better way to protect chair legs on tile floors

Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete
set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are
slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

why use rubber?
just use a nylon cushion glide
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9448/100073977
or just a felt pad
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9951/100019164

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

Chinese.

I don't understand why anyone would want to slide on rubber.
I've used the nail on nylon as shown in other post. I would drill a hole
first.
Last summer I was making sofa legs. I was looking for larger sized ones for
rug. I ended up using just hardwood, and sanding smooth edge, and painted.

Greg
Senior Member

Open your yellow pages to Upholsterers and phone around to find out who sells upholstery supplies in your area. The upholstery supply places will carry a completely line of feet and casters for chairs of all sorts.

I'm wondering if you couldn't drill holes in the bottoms of those chair legs and use rubber casters on them(?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 May 2013 23:03:48 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

just use a nylon cushion glide
or just a felt pad

You know, I hadn't even thought of that!
I like both ideas, if for no other reason than they
won't crumble like the rubber does, in just a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 May 2013 04:10:00 +0000, gregz wrote:

I don't understand why anyone would want to slide on rubber.

I didn't know any better.
I'm just amazed that the rubber falls apart in a year.
So, I'll try the nail-on or felt stick-on types and report
back in a year or so.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:03:48 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

why use rubber?
just use a nylon cushion glide
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9448/100073977
or just a felt pad
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9951/100019164

Self-adheseive won't stay on. They're meant for heavy or metal
tschotchkes on a wood table, so as not to scratch the table.

The first ones, the glides, are good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 May 2013 03:36:13 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

Note to self; Don't ever use a grouted tile floor where furniture
will be slid around.

If I had one, my first stop would be the biggest, fanciest, tile store
in the area to see what they recommend.

I like those teflon gliders that get tacked into the legs---- but I
think about twice over that grout line and they'd break right off.

God-awful-ugly, IMO, but I'd be tempted to put a smooth gliding
surface over the tile.

Googling for the name of that - I ran across the ones I use in my
kitchen, on vinyl, but they say they are for ceramic tile, too-- I'm
wary, but here's the link;
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sliders-.../dp/B000KL0C2K
Let us know what you find for a solution.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny,

I like felt. Doesn't damage the floor and lasts about 10 yrs.

Dave M.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Martel[_2_] View Post
Danny,

I like felt. Doesn't damage the floor and lasts about 10 yrs.

Dave M.

I think so ....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:03*pm, "ChairMan" wrote:
Danny D wrote:
Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete
set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are
slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

why use rubber?
just use a nylon cushion glidehttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-1-1-8-in-Plastic-Base-Nail-On-Cus...
or just a felt padhttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-3-4-in-Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-F...

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

why use rubber?
just use a nylon cushion glide
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9448/100073977
or just a felt pad
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9951/100019164

Self-adheseive won't stay on. They're meant for heavy or
metal
tschotchkes on a wood table, so as not to scratch the
table.

The first ones, the glides, are good.

If you put them on right they will stick.
I've put them on many dining chairs, lounge chairs and even
sofas.
Must be a clean surface, and it helps to tap them with a
hammer to make sure they adhere.
The grout lines may be a little tough on them, but they work
flawlessly on wood floors

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Open your yellow pages to Upholsterers and phone around to
find out
who sells upholstery supplies in your area. The
upholstery supply
places will carry a completely line of feet and casters
for chairs of
all sorts.

I'm wondering if you couldn't drill holes in the bottoms
of those
chair legs and use rubber casters on them(?)

A caster on that small diameter leg would split it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chair Man,

I use felt but not stick-ons. My pads look like the plastic glides that
you picture. Think I bought them at Ace Hardwware.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

Plainly, you have the wrong size. This one is too small. They may
not make the right size.

By nylon glides that nail into the bottom of the legs, with a metal
nail and a nylon disk almost as big as the leg's bottom. .
A) That will work.
B) Rubber is t he wrong material when you say you are sliding them on
TILE floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

Tennis balls from the sports section; isle 9.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/434524519_263f10c4cc.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:20:01 -0700, Oren wrote:

Tennis balls from the sports section; isle 9.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/434524519_263f10c4cc.jpg

That is a gorgeous photo!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.

Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

sounds to me like you or another family member needs to go on a diet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:20:01 -0700, Oren wrote:

Tennis balls from the sports section; isle 9.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/434524519_263f10c4cc.jpg

That is a gorgeous photo!

For some reason it made me think of Poodles wearing Mukluks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

The photo made me think of aerial attack. Bombers dropping chairs on an English outdoor high class cafe that was serving decorator oranges to cultured, discriminating customers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Attila Iskander" wrote in message ...
"Danny D" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:20:01 -0700, Oren wrote:

Tennis balls from the sports section; isle 9.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/434524519_263f10c4cc.jpg

That is a gorgeous photo!

For some reason it made me think of Poodles wearing Mukluks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

a customer of mine has tennis balls on the bottoms of chair legs.....

floor looks awesome
Posted to alt.home.repair

Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

UPDATE:
I picked up some of those felt pads as you guys had suggested:

So far, they've been working much better than did the rubber feet:

Thanks very much for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:36:13 PM UTC-7, Danny D wrote:
Three times in the past three years I've bought a complete set
of rubber foot protectors for the wooden chairs that are slid
day in and day out on the tile floors.

I first bought the dark brown rubber chair leg protectors
from Home Depot; then the black protectors at Lowes; and
finally the cream colored rubber chair leg protectors at
ACE Hardware.

They all crack and simply fall apart.
Do they make a rubber chair leg protector that won't
fall apart in a year? Where can I get them?

Well, a post that's only about 9 months old is certainly younger then some
of the years old posts we've seeing here lately.

This guy seems pretty confident in his product...

https://www.flexifelt.com/default.aspx?skinid=2

How about these funny looking things?

http://www.lowboz.com/Articles.asp?ID=140

If your chair legs are cold, maybe sock socks from Nancy will help...

http://www.nancyprotectz.com/

Lots of choices here...

http://www.allglides.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 10:36:13 PM UTC-5, Danny D wrote:

My problem is different. Three of my lovely wood and leather chairs have had
the leg joint destroyed, as the chair bottom catches on the grout line when
the chair slides and bends the leg back and forth. No one seems to repair
furniture in 2016, and though I could buy a new set ($$$$$$$), the same
thing will undoubtedly happen to that set. I am NOT going to display tennis
balls on our pretty dining set. Any more realistic suggestions to protect
the chair legs?

You just posted to a 3-year-old post. The first thing
you should do is to stop using Google Groups and get
a real newsreader. Also, look up Usenet. It's not a webpage
format. Newsgroups are as different from webpages as
email is. Google Groups is just a malfunctioning copy of
what gets posted in newsgroups.

Assuming you ever even see this
post.... You might try the thick, carpet-like adhesive
pads available for chair leg to avoid scratching floors.
That might make the legs less likely to catch in grout
lines. Aside from that, mindfulness or a new floor are
probably the only options.

For the chairs, normal wood glue should work as a
repair if the joints are tight. If not, I like 5 minute epoxy,
but that sometimes fails over time when it has to fill a gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have metal leg chairs with hard plastic ends on linoleum tile any suggestions