DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Swamp cooler water pump ground (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/354218-swamp-cooler-water-pump-ground.html)

KenK March 18th 13 04:42 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when I
unplugged it to lubricate it for the summer so I have to buy a replacement
plug. Being cheap, I deeply regret this expense.

My reason for posting: Why would this pump need a ground? It's plastic
covered so no personal shock danger. Probably because it operates in such a
wet environment. But still, what is it protecting? I'm stupid, obviously.

TIA

Oren[_2_] March 18th 13 05:47 PM

On 18 Mar 2013 16:42:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when I
unplugged it to lubricate it for the summer so I have to buy a replacement
plug. Being cheap, I deeply regret this expense.

My reason for posting: Why would this pump need a ground? It's plastic
covered so no personal shock danger. Probably because it operates in such a
wet environment. But still, what is it protecting? I'm stupid, obviously.

TIA

I'd guess something to do with the cabinet being metal, potential for
shock. (SWAG)

KenK March 18th 13 06:06 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

Oren wrote in
:

On 18 Mar 2013 16:42:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when
I unplugged it to lubricate it for the summer so I have to buy a
replacement plug. Being cheap, I deeply regret this expense.

My reason for posting: Why would this pump need a ground? It's plastic
covered so no personal shock danger. Probably because it operates in
such a wet environment. But still, what is it protecting? I'm stupid,
obviously.

TIA

I'd guess something to do with the cabinet being metal, potential for
shock. (SWAG)

You mean the pump becomes defective, shorts to the water flow, which
carries the electric current to the cabinet, which is then is dangerous
to touch? Maybe. But I'd think the cabinet would be grounded elsewhere,
perhaps though the blower? Might be interesting to check that with an
ohmmeter.

Oren[_2_] March 18th 13 06:23 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

On 18 Mar 2013 18:06:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. ( I make smoke :-\ )

I think you are one the right track. Find the wiring diagram for the
unit. Is this a roof-top or portable shop cooler?

[email protected] March 18th 13 06:32 PM

On Monday, March 18, 2013 9:42:34 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when I unplugged it to lubricate it

Why would this pump need a ground? It's
plastic covered so no personal shock danger.

Because the plastic doesn't make it 100%
waterproof, as a totally submersible pump would
be. The metal motor case must be earth grounded.

dpb March 18th 13 07:04 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

On 3/18/2013 1:06 PM, KenK wrote:
wrote in
:

On 18 Mar 2013 16:42:34 GMT, wrote:

[...]

May be, but perhaps it's mounted w/ isolating feet to minimize
noise/vibration??? Who knows w/o looking/more detail?

But, my guess is that it was an off-the-shelf production pump and it was
simpler to just use the supplied 3-prong plug than rewire it and cheaper
than specifying a built-to-purpose pump.

It may be there's a UL (or similar) listing requirement that the motor
has to be grounded anyway even if it is direct mounted to the frame just
to protect against the possibility of that ground connection via the
mounting bolts being violated.

KenK March 19th 13 05:42 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

Oren wrote in news:rnmek8h7dt0c7ld0tr5d1tr0djuk7ib0oq@
4ax.com:

On 18 Mar 2013 18:06:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
m:

[...]

Neither. A window unit in a mobile home.

BTW, checked with meter and cabinet is grounded.

KenK March 19th 13 05:43 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

dpb wrote in :

On 3/18/2013 1:06 PM, KenK wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Cabinet is grounded.

But, my guess is that it was an off-the-shelf production pump and it

was
simpler to just use the supplied 3-prong plug than rewire it and

cheaper
than specifying a built-to-purpose pump.

Quite possible.

KenK March 19th 13 05:44 PM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

wrote in
:

On Monday, March 18, 2013 9:42:34 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out
when I unplugged it to lubricate it

Why would this pump need a ground? It's
plastic covered so no personal shock danger.

Because the plastic doesn't make it 100%
waterproof, as a totally submersible pump would
be. The metal motor case must be earth grounded.

Ahhh! I think you may well have hit upon the reason. Thanks.

Bill[_48_] March 20th 13 03:09 AM

Swamp cooler water pump ground

In article ,
says...

The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when I
unplugged it to lubricate it for the summer so I have to buy a replacement
plug. Being cheap, I deeply regret this expense.

My reason for posting: Why would this pump need a ground? It's plastic
covered so no personal shock danger. Probably because it operates in such a
wet environment. But still, what is it protecting? I'm stupid, obviously.

There may be metal parts inside which should be grounded. A short to
those metal parts could conduct electricity to the water or the plastic
exterior if wet.

In addition to the pump being grounded, you would also want the fan
motor and metal case grounded.

The more things which are grounded, the safer for you and your family!
(And anyone who touches a metal vent... Roof vent connects to house
vents, house vents connect to floor heating return vents, kid crawls up
to wall and touches floor vent - ZAP!)

Buy the proper plug!