Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove door closer cover

I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. Is there a common way to remove such a cover?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AndyHancock" wrote in message
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. Is there a common way to remove such a cover?

Is this a commercial closure? Often, there are two allen head secure screws
on top. I believe it's a 1/8 allen wrench. Loosening them will allow the
cover to be removed. Then you can access the three (usually three depending
on the brand) pressure set screws using the same size allen wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 11:15*pm, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. *After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. *The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. *No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. *No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. *There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. *Is there a common way to remove such a cover?

Some of them do not have covers. The holes you see might be the
adjusting screws. Try to look inside and see if they are hex shaped
for an allen key.

Otherwise posting a picture would help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2013 10:15 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. Is there a common way to remove such a cover?

Is this a commercial closer on a steel door?
LCN closers have 2 very small phillips heads screws on top. Some brands
have screws on the ends. It does seem to me I've had some that just
kind of snap on. I guess I/we would need some more information. What
type of door? What shape is the closer?

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
On 3/8/2013 10:15 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. Is there a common way to remove such a cover?

Is this a commercial closer on a steel door?
LCN closers have 2 very small phillips heads screws on top. Some brands
have screws on the ends. It does seem to me I've had some that just kind
of snap on. I guess I/we would need some more information. What type of
door? What shape is the closer?

LCN uses allen head screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 7:39 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:15 pm, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After
googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer
has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom.
No screws are visible, they look like holes in the casing. No
amount of pulling seems to be able to remove the cover. There are
no manufacturer markings on the cover. Is there a common way to
remove such a cover?

Some of them do not have covers. The holes you see might be the
adjusting screws. Try to look inside and see if they are hex shaped
for an allen key.

Otherwise posting a picture would help.

I looked inside before posting. The holes are about 3-4mm diameter.
There is nothing that I can see that looks like a screw for any head
or bit. It's just a darkness, even with a flashlight shining in. If
I try to probe the opening with a small screwdriver, it goes in about
an inch before encountering something, and in one of the holes, the
thing being encountered isn't a surface that stops the screwdriver so
much as it diverts the screwdriver to one side.

I'd like to post a picture, but I'm using Google Groups to access this
forum. What is the next best way to post a picture? (I don't do
social media, and I've learned long ago to be anonymous on usenet).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 7:38 am, "Meanie" wrote:
"AndyHancock" wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After
googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer
has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom.
No screws are visible, they look like holes in the casing. No
amount of pulling seems to be able to remove the cover. There are
no manufacturer markings on the cover. Is there a common way to
remove such a cover?

Is this a commercial closure? Often, there are two allen head secure
screws on top. I believe it's a 1/8 allen wrench. Loosening them
will allow the cover to be removed. Then you can access the three
(usually three depending on the brand) pressure set screws using the
same size allen wrench.

It is the wooden front door of a highrise apartment unit. There are
no screws on top. It looks a bit like these:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...ser-F8300-.jpg
http://www.factorydirecthardware.com...lum_141-01.jpg

Each of these housings show 3 holes at the end, but I only have the
upper and lower one -- not the middle one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have never used Google Groups so I don't know if this will work, but to
post photos I usually use http://tinypic.com/ . I upload the photo there,
then it produces a URL link that I can copy and post in the message. People
click on the URL link that I post and that takes them to the photo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 8:35 pm, "TomR" wrote:
"AndyHancock" wrote:
[...]

Well. That's quite convenient. I uploaded the picture to
http://tinypic.com/r/2jadj89/6. However, I found that the picture can
be accessed without the rest of the webpage content as
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2jadj89.jpg.

About the holes, there are two on the right-side facing edge just like
the two on the left-side facing edge in the photo. The hole on the
bottom appears to be identical. There are no wholes on the top except
for where the spindle pokes through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Flat screw driver under the edge, pry it up? Might snap off.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"AndyHancock" wrote in message
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I
determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic
cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No screws are
visible, they look like holes in the casing. No amount of pulling
seems to be able to remove the cover. There are no manufacturer
markings on the cover. Is there a common way to remove such a cover?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:52*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Flat screw driver under the edge, pry it up? Might snap off.

'fraid it might come down to that. Thanks...I shall mull it over.
Don't want to get on the wrong side of the landlord.

Newby: How to remove collet closer from SB 9" tool Room Lathe? spincircles Metalworking 3 September 18th 09 03:49 PM
Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 July 25th 08 01:21 PM
Removing a door fitted with a door closer DavidM UK diy 5 November 28th 07 11:09 AM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 11:14 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 11:58 AM