DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/352265-what-happens-if-you-put-75-watt-bulb-60-watt-fixture.html)

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 06:56 AM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

Roy January 25th 13 07:00 AM

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:56:39 PM UTC-7, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use

a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of

light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

You will know the answer when the fixture bursts into flame or your house burns
down which ever comes first.

Wes Groleau January 25th 13 07:47 AM

On 01-25-2013 00:56, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

--
Wes Groleau

Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
€” Solomon
Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
€” Groleau

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 09:41 AM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:47:57 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

The main problem with the CFLs is they stick out too far
(for any decent wattage) so, what happens is that they blind
you because you end up seeing the bright bulb outside the
shield.

Also, that tip of the CFL sticking out tends to break off
as these are desk lamps that are moved about.

I wonder if they make a high light output small length CFL?

Nikola Tesla[_2_] January 25th 13 11:30 AM

On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

When you factor in the cost of operation, LEDs are cheaper than
incandescents.

Ed Pawlowski January 25th 13 11:56 AM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:39 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

The type of bulb you are using is probably not giving the light the
way you want it. Use a plain incandescent and it will diffuse more
rather than hit a localized spot.

Better is to buy a new desk light with a flat fluorescent bulb. Mine
is four short tubes and gives a nice white bright light. I think mine
was about $25.

[email protected] January 25th 13 12:57 PM

wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year. If
this is what you're using, you are in violation of the law. Since you
posted this to a public newsgroup, your local law officers as well as
the FBI know what you're doing. You will likely be arrested in the next
24 hours. The penalty is something like $5000 and 30 days in prison.
YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE!

Install a 75W equivalant CFL bulb and the heat wont be a problem, and
you will be legal. You can even use a 100W equivalant CFL. (Then get
rid of those 75W incandescent bulbs before the cops arrive.)

Doug Miller[_4_] January 25th 13 12:58 PM

Joe Mastroianni wrote in :

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

A lot. When we bought our current home, I had to replace all of the light fixtures in the kitchen
because the previous owners had done exactly that: put 75W bulbs in fixtures that were
labeled "60W max". When I took the fixtures down to paint the ceiling, I discovered that the
excess heat had made the insulation on the fixture wires brittle and hard to the point of
cracking and falling off of the conductors. One fixture had an inch and a half of uninsulated
wire.

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 01:00 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The type of bulb you are using is probably not giving the light the
way you want it. Use a plain incandescent and it will diffuse more
rather than hit a localized spot.

Maybe I do need to go back to the plain old-style 100W tungsten bulb.

This is what the CFL looks like (see how it sticks out).

Front view:

Side view:

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 01:27 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year.

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st picture.
Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp).

And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent
bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...

So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.

[email protected] January 25th 13 01:31 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:58:14 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

A lot. When we bought our current home, I had to replace all of the light fixtures in the kitchen
because the previous owners had done exactly that: put 75W bulbs in fixtures that were
labeled "60W max". When I took the fixtures down to paint the ceiling, I discovered that the
excess heat had made the insulation on the fixture wires brittle and hard to the point of
cracking and falling off of the conductors. One fixture had an inch and a half of uninsulated
wire.

How did you fix that? Just curious.

I've run across many like that, and I always tried to replace the whole
cable. But thats not always possible without ripping apart the whole
house. Other times I had to put an extra box inh the attic and run a
few feet of new wire. I've seen lots of guys just tape up those cracked
wires, but that's not the best fix. I found another method. Put heat
shrink tubing ovet the wires. That works wonders and is easy to do.
However if it's the old BX and the wires are cracked right up to the
metal sheath, you will likely have problems. You're stuck replacing
them.

John Grabowski January 25th 13 01:45 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

*I have seen many overheated light fixtures over the years. Most of them
don't start a fire unless they are in close proximity to combustible
materials such as curtains or furniture. What usually happens over time is
the lamp socket get brittle and cracks, the insulation on the wire gets
brittle and cracks and eventually sparks fly out and then I get a call.

The 75 watt bulb that you have in the light looks as though it might be a
halogen bulb which gets very hot. I would try a 50 watt PAR 20 bulb. It is
a small halogen floodlight (Actually they come in flood or spot) and puts
out about the same amount of light as a 75 watt incandescent bulb.

Doug[_16_] January 25th 13 02:26 PM

wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year. If
this is what you're using, you are in violation of the law. Since you
posted this to a public newsgroup, your local law officers as well as
the FBI know what you're doing. You will likely be arrested in the next
24 hours. The penalty is something like $5000 and 30 days in prison.
YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE!

I bet somewhere in my home, I have one so better come and get me. But
please bring food and a Latte' when you come so I can eat and drink
well before I go into the slammer.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 25th 13 02:44 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

May we see some figures, and cost projections, please?

I got a couple LED flood lights off Ebay, which were very
disappointing. There are some which do a good job. At
church they have put in some LED flood lights, the guy tells
me they cost $40 or so per bulb, but they sure do a good
job of lighting.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Quinhagak[_2_] January 25th 13 02:46 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:39 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb....
My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

An oversize bulb in a lamp in Mrs. O'Leary's barn is what caused the Great
Chicago Fire.

[email protected][_2_] January 25th 13 02:53 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Jan 25, 8:44*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
May we see some figures, and cost projections, please?

I got a couple LED flood lights off Ebay, which were very
disappointing. There are some which do a good job. At
church they have put in some LED flood lights, the guy tells
me they cost $40 or so per bulb, but they sure do a good
job of lighting.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

The big leap of faith is that you have to believe they are
going to last decades in the typical application to recover
the upfront cost. Given my experiences with CFL, I
have good reason to doubt the longevity. If they crap out
in two years, you're a big loser.

Tomsic[_3_] January 25th 13 03:32 PM

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

If the desk lamp also has a UL or CSA sticker, then a 60 watt bulb was used
to test and approve the fixture for electrical and fire safety. Using a 75
watt bulb voids that listing. If you were to have a fire that was traced to
the desk lamp and if the fire inspector determined that you had
over-wattaged the lamp, then your fire insurance could be disallowed.
That's not very likely, of course, but it has happened. As others have
mentioned, using a 50 watt halogen PAR 20 might work for you as will using a
CFL or LED bulb, but compare the light output values (lumens). Don't go
just by the "wattage equivalent" charts.

Tomsic

Tomsic[_3_] January 25th 13 03:48 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year.

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st picture.
Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp).

And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent
bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...

So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.

Only the common 100 watt and the 75 watt household bulbs (as of 1/1/13) are
being phased out so far and both, of course, have lower-wattage
replacements. The 100 watt replacement is rated for 72 watts and they've
been on retails shelves for a couple of years now. The 200 watt and 150
watt 3-way bulbs that you see are not being phased out. They're in an
"exempt" category which includes decorative, colored and other types which
are not widely used. There's not much energy to be saved by regulating them
and so they are not affected by the bulb legislation. There was an
"unintended consequence" to the bulb phase-out legislation. Bulb choices
for consumers actually increased in 2012 and prices of some types (such as
CFLs) came down substantially as bulb manufacturers cranked up their
competitive product offerings.

Tomsic

Peter[_14_] January 25th 13 04:05 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:47:57 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive, and I tried and
failed with the CFLs.

The main problem with the CFLs is they stick out too far (for any
decent wattage) so, what happens is that they blind you because you
end up seeing the bright bulb outside the shield.

Also, that tip of the CFL sticking out tends to break off as these
are desk lamps that are moved about.

I wonder if they make a high light output small length CFL?

I found this one on a web search:
http://www.myschoollights.com/produc...laces-75w-bulb

Specs say 4.3" high including base. That might not protrude from the
shade of your lamp.

I know nothing about this web site but if the bulb is made by
Westinghouse, you can probably find it at many vendors.

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 04:07 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:53:58 -0800, wrote:

Given my experiences with CFL, I
have good reason to doubt the longevity.
If they crap out
in two years, you're a big loser.

What makes incandescent bulbs wear out?
Oxidation of the filament, right?

What makes CFL bulbs wear out?
Oxidation of the mercury inside?

What makes LED bulbs wear out?
(something must be wearing out or they'd last forever)

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 04:10 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:48:16 -0500, Tomsic wrote:

They're in an "exempt" category which includes decorative,
colored and other types which are not widely used.

Makes sense.

Bulb choices for consumers actually increased in 2012.

Doesn't make sense.

How did removing bulb choices increase bulb choices?

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 04:11 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:45:21 -0500, John Grabowski wrote:

The 75 watt bulb that you have in the light looks as though it might be a
halogen bulb which gets very hot. I would try a 50 watt PAR 20 bulb. It is
a small halogen floodlight (Actually they come in flood or spot) and puts
out about the same amount of light as a 75 watt incandescent bulb.

It 'is' a halogen, and it 'does' get very hot.

And, I guess, lumens are all I want (and compact size so it doesn't
stick out of the housing) - so that's a good idea if it works.

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 04:15 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:32:46 -0500, Tomsic wrote:

If the desk lamp also has a UL or CSA sticker, then a 60 watt
bulb was used to test and approve the fixture for electrical
and fire safety. Using a 75 watt bulb voids that listing.

Makes sense. But doesn't answer the question.

Seems to me bridges are designed to hold twice what they
say they can hold. Elevators are the same. A room placard that
says a ballroom can legally hold 100 people can 'fit' twice
that easily. Speed limits are set but we routinely go twice
the speed limit safely (maybe not twice - but the point is the
same). A rope rated for 100 pounds can handle ten times that.
etc.

It seems, to me, a lamp rated at 60 watts must have been
tested at twice that (or some large number like that) in order
to get the rating.

At least that's how 'other' ratings seem to be done.

Art Harris[_2_] January 25th 13 04:15 PM

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:56:39 AM UTC-5, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use

a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of

light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun. But probably not a good idea.

Art Harris

Gordon Shumway January 25th 13 04:25 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:41:49 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:47:57 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

This is just a guess but I bet LED's are cheaper than rebuilding your
house after it burns down.

Joe Mastroianni January 25th 13 04:28 PM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:15:46 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun.

You are correct. I phrased it incorrectly.

75 Watts is 25% over the maximum of 60 Watts, or,
125% of the maximum.

Seems to me, 25% is within the safety zone of ????
(what is the safety zone).

I find it hard to believe the safety zone is zero.

I suspect it's more like double the rating (i.e., it's
probably more like 60 x 2 = 120 Watts) but I'm just
guessing.

That's why I asked.

Sjouke Burry[_5_] January 25th 13 04:37 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

Joe Mastroianni wrote in news:kdt6qn$t60$1@dont-
email.me:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to

use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

Whats the price of a burned down house?
Those limit rules are there for a reason, you know......

Sjouke Burry[_5_] January 25th 13 04:44 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

Joe Mastroianni wrote in news:kdtto1$39b$2@dont-
email.me:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year.

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st

picture.
Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp).

And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent
bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...

So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.

"special" or "artistic" lights are perfectly legal.
Its just the ordinairy frosted bulb which is illegal(to sell).
Jou can use them for as long as your stockpile lasts.
Just dont try to sell them.

EXT January 25th 13 05:13 PM

"Roy" wrote in message
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:56:39 PM UTC-7, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use

a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of

light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

If you (she) insists on using an oversized bulb, be sure the socket is
ceramic. If it is plastic, it will have a very short life as it will
deteriorate quickly. Also, you may want to change the wire cord to a high
temperature wire at least inside the lamp where the heat is. If the switch
is part of the bulb socket, the heat may destroy it, it may be wiser to add
a line switch on the cord to protect it.

If you don't want to start modifying the lamp, you may want to consider
purchasing a new one that has the ceramic socket and switch located away
from the bulb.

[email protected] January 25th 13 05:34 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:30:45 -0500, Nikola Tesla
wrote:

On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

When you factor in the cost of operation, LEDs are cheaper than
incandescents.

Only if they are used for a significant amount of time. If the light
is only used an average of an hour a day or less, the power savings
will take the rest of your life to pay for the LED bulb.

I still like the LED option - regardless.

Gordon Shumway January 25th 13 05:38 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:28:24 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:15:46 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun.

You are correct. I phrased it incorrectly.

75 Watts is 25% over the maximum of 60 Watts, or,
125% of the maximum.

Seems to me, 25% is within the safety zone of ????
(what is the safety zone).

I find it hard to believe the safety zone is zero.

I suspect it's more like double the rating (i.e., it's
probably more like 60 x 2 = 120 Watts) but I'm just
guessing.

That's why I asked.

You're not the brightest light on the tree are you?

Dan Espen[_2_] January 25th 13 06:38 PM

Joe Mastroianni writes:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:15:46 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun.

You are correct. I phrased it incorrectly.

75 Watts is 25% over the maximum of 60 Watts, or,
125% of the maximum.

Seems to me, 25% is within the safety zone of ????
(what is the safety zone).

I find it hard to believe the safety zone is zero.

I suspect it's more like double the rating (i.e., it's
probably more like 60 x 2 = 120 Watts) but I'm just
guessing.

That's why I asked.

A couple of posters shared their experience.

I find fixtures even with the correct bulb age over time,
parts get brittle and start to fall apart.

I definitely would not put a 75W incandescent in a 60W fixture.
The risk is no where near the gain. The risk is that your
house burns down and the insurance company denies your claim.

Find a CFL that doesn't stick out so much or go for the LED.

--
Dan Espen

[email protected] January 25th 13 06:56 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:07:07 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:53:58 -0800, wrote:

Given my experiences with CFL, I
have good reason to doubt the longevity.
If they crap out
in two years, you're a big loser.

What makes incandescent bulbs wear out?
Oxidation of the filament, right?

No. The filament evaporates.

What makes CFL bulbs wear out?
Oxidation of the mercury inside?

No. There are a few wearout mechanisms but the worst seems to be
crappy capacitors. Fluorescents also have filaments (you can see the
ends get dark from the deposited metal).

What makes LED bulbs wear out?
(something must be wearing out or they'd last forever)

Heat. The junctions are pushing the limits of the material for any
useful amount of light. Cheap knock-offs are worse.

[email protected][_2_] January 25th 13 07:01 PM

On Jan 25, 12:38*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
Joe Mastroianni writes:
[...]

Oh, good grief, here we go again. The insurance
scare stories at it again. Every time this comes up, I've
asked where all the examples of this kind of thing
happening are. Where are those denied claims?
There are what 100 million homes
in the USA? If insurance companies were actually
denying claims for things like that, it should be easy
to come up with examples. I mean if they are gonna
deny that, then they might as well deny a claim for
the house burning down because you left a pot burning
on the stove. Or because you smoked in bed.

So, example please?

Find a CFL that doesn't stick out so much or go for the LED.

--
Dan Espen- Hide quoted text -

[email protected] January 25th 13 07:11 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:32:46 -0500, "Tomsic" wrote:

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

If the desk lamp also has a UL or CSA sticker, then a 60 watt bulb was used
to test and approve the fixture for electrical and fire safety. Using a 75
watt bulb voids that listing. If you were to have a fire that was traced to
the desk lamp and if the fire inspector determined that you had
over-wattaged the lamp, then your fire insurance could be disallowed.

Bull**** called.

That's not very likely, of course, but it has happened.

Citation needed.

Dan Espen[_2_] January 25th 13 07:51 PM

" writes:

On Jan 25, 12:38Â*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
Joe Mastroianni writes:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:15:46 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun.

You are correct. I phrased it incorrectly.

75 Watts is 25% over the maximum of 60 Watts, or,
125% of the maximum.

Seems to me, 25% is within the safety zone of ????
(what is the safety zone).

I find it hard to believe the safety zone is zero.

I suspect it's more like double the rating (i.e., it's
probably more like 60 x 2 = 120 Watts) but I'm just
guessing.

That's why I asked.

A couple of posters shared their experience.

I find fixtures even with the correct bulb age over time,
parts get brittle and start to fall apart.

I definitely would not put a 75W incandescent in a 60W fixture.
The risk is no where near the gain. Â*The risk is that your
house burns down and the insurance company denies your claim.

Oh, good grief, here we go again. The insurance
scare stories at it again. Every time this comes up, I've
asked where all the examples of this kind of thing
happening are. Where are those denied claims?
There are what 100 million homes
in the USA? If insurance companies were actually
denying claims for things like that, it should be easy
to come up with examples. I mean if they are gonna
deny that, then they might as well deny a claim for
the house burning down because you left a pot burning
on the stove. Or because you smoked in bed.

So, example please?

Right, so trader says the insurance company won't deny your
claim.

Nothing to worry about except the fire then...

--
Dan Espen

= January 25th 13 07:59 PM

What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:48:16 -0500, Tomsic wrote:

They're in an "exempt" category which includes decorative,
colored and other types which are not widely used.

Makes sense.

Bulb choices for consumers actually increased in 2012.

Doesn't make sense.

How did removing bulb choices increase bulb choices?

Well in the case of the 100 watt bulb during 2012, the 100 watt was replaced
by the 72 watt. It's more efficient and gives about the same amount of
light, costs about the same and is rated to last for 1,000 hours, so that's
one choice.

Another choice is the so-called "2X" bulb that a company called ADLT
announced. It gives the same light output as the old 100 watt, but draws
only 50 watts and is rated for 1500 hours. That's an additional choice that
we didn't have before.

Then there are the screw-in CFLs, usually rated for about 26 watts. The
prices have come down significantly on those and some are also rated for
more light output than the old 100 watt. But it's a 3rd. choice because the
types shaped like the old standard bulbs just appeared last year.

Finally, about mid-2012, the major lamp companies introduced LED equivalents
to the 100 watt also rated about 26 watts. That's a 4th. choice.

So, what I see on retailer shelves is that the old 100 watt bulb can now be
replaced by 3 or 4 alternatives depending upon what you want -- long life,
low initial cost, efficiency, color, dimability, etc. The "2X" isn't in
wide distribution yet; but the others are.

One bulb disappeared and 3-4 alternatives with various performance options
are now on the shelves with the same thing already happening for the 75 watt
that's being phased out now except that the alternatives are cheaper and
more available.

What doesn't seem to make sense is why some people bought stocks of the old
100 watt bulbs and are hoarding them.

Tomsic

= January 25th 13 08:08 PM

[...]

It isn't that a slightly higher wattage bulb will immediately cause a fire
or electrical hazard. That will happen over time due to deteriorated
wiring, insulation or structural parts. There are tolerances and variations
that are considered in the UL/CSA tests; but it's a pass/fail system so
electrical inspectors and fire safety people know what to do.

Tomsic

= January 25th 13 08:19 PM

wrote in message
[...]

Likely it was in the "Residential Electrical System Aging Research Report"
published by UL a few years ago. I think it's on line.

Tomsic

micky January 25th 13 08:23 PM

wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

I put 100 watt bubls in my kitchen ceiling fixture with 3 globes
keeping the heat in, and over a couple three or 10 years, the plastic
around the metal sockets got brittle and fell off in chunks. One
socket stopped working too, bad wire connection at the metal socket.

I also used a 100 watt bulb in a desk lamp with a cone shaped metal
shade, and iover a couple years it damaged the socket, but in this
case the built-in switch. The kind of socket that is colinear with
the rotating knob that is the switch, (like is used in over the bed
headboard lamps with the long salami shaped bulbs) I have to grab
the round thing hard and trun hard, to go from on to off and offf to
on. The next two notches, which are the same thing are easy, but that
makes a full revolution, and the next 2 are very hard again.

No fires. And this is 100 for a 60, not 75 for one (the ceiling
fixture. The desk lamp may have been designed for 75)

BTW, the lamp is probably 50 yeaers old and will last another hundred
after I replace the socket/switch. During the really hot weather I
had to start using CFL in it or it was too hot to get close too, but
the switch was damaged already.