Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Jan 26, 5:24*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:59:09 -0500, "=" wrote:
Another choice is the so-called "2X" bulb that a company called ADLT
announced. *It gives the same light output as the old 100 watt, but draws
only 50 watts and is rated for 1500 hours. *That's an additional choice that
we didn't have before.

What are they? *I assume the 72 watt replacements are halogen, but what
makes these work?

fixtures should have thermal fuse protection, preferably a restable
type.

or a regular fuse or circuit breaker that would blow if a too high a
wattage lamp is used

CFLs run so cool the incandescent rating could likely support a twice
the wattage CFL of a standard incandescent
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe Mastroianni wrote in :

[lots of irrelevant stuff snipped]

Does someone with more acumen than I have insight into where
in that document it spells out the safety factor inherent in
the standard?

You've been trying for a couple days now to get somebody to tell you it's OK to put a 75W bulb
in a fixture labelled 60W max. You obviously refuse to accept the idea that the rating is there
for a reason, and you obviously intend on doing what you want to do, regardless of the UL
listing, regardless of all the advice you have received to the contrary -- so why don't you just
shut up and go do it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 5:18 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

regardless of all the advice you have received to the contrary

But in what may be a miracle, I think everyone agreed on this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:18:35 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

You've been trying for a couple days now to get somebody to tell you it's OK to put a 75W bulb
in a fixture labelled 60W max. You obviously refuse to accept the idea that the rating is there
for a reason, and you obviously intend on doing what you want to do, regardless of the UL
listing, regardless of all the advice you have received to the contrary -- so why don't you just
shut up and go do it?

I think you missed the post from this morning (9:03am)
showing that I followed the overwhelming advice o the
group and bought a SMALL set of CFLs to install into
the lamps.

Here's what I had written:
I followed your advice and found shorter CFL bulbs.

They have about half the light but they don't stick out anymore.
And, those Halogen 75 Watt Par30 bulbs were blazing hot!

The CFL is almost cool to the touch so it's a good solution
that fits the problem set without too many compromises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:31:51 -0600, bud-- wrote:

But in what may be a miracle, I think everyone agreed on this one.

Even me!

The 75Watt Par 30 bulb was just too hot for the lamps.

So I replaced all the bulbs with SMALL CFL bulbs.

I followed your advice and found shorter CFL bulbs.

They have about half the light but they don't stick out anymore.
And, those Halogen 75 Watt Par30 bulbs were blazing hot!

The CFL is almost cool to the touch so it's a good solution
that fits the problem set without too many compromises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 03:31:00 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:31:51 -0600, bud-- wrote:

But in what may be a miracle, I think everyone agreed on this one.

Even me!

The 75Watt Par 30 bulb was just too hot for the lamps.

So I replaced all the bulbs with SMALL CFL bulbs.

That may not be such a good idea. CFLs can easily overheat in
fixtures that weren't intended for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2013 11:56 PM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

The space-time continuum will rip apart and the universe will explode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:31:51 -0600, bud-- wrote:

But in what may be a miracle, I think everyone agreed on this one.

Even me!

The 75Watt Par 30 bulb was just too hot for the lamps.

So I replaced all the bulbs with SMALL CFL bulbs.

That may not be such a good idea. CFLs can easily overheat in
fixtures that weren't intended for them.

I had CFL's in an outdoor enclosed dome, in the sun, on continuously, until
their expected lifetime expired. I suspect temperature was really high at
times. I ran two CFL's that way until finally went to dark on relay.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:51:27 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Nothing to worry about except the fire then...

I personally doubt it will cause a fire - but I must say that I'm not
sure (which is why I asked).

Nothing specific about about the lamp itself, but

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...e262649155.txt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:31:51 -0600, bud-- wrote:

But in what may be a miracle, I think everyone agreed on this one.

Even me!

The 75Watt Par 30 bulb was just too hot for the lamps.

So I replaced all the bulbs with SMALL CFL bulbs.

That may not be such a good idea. CFLs can easily overheat in
fixtures that weren't intended for them.

Hmm, didn't the OP just report how cool the fixture was?
Seems like...

I followed your advice and found shorter CFL bulbs.

They have about half the light but they don't stick out anymore.
And, those Halogen 75 Watt Par30 bulbs were blazing hot!

The CFL is almost cool to the touch so it's a good solution
that fits the problem set without too many compromises.

Why yes he did!

Don't believe it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
= = is offline

"Rick" wrote in message

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:51:27 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Nothing to worry about except the fire then...

I personally doubt it will cause a fire - but I must say that I'm not
sure (which is why I asked).

Nothing specific about about the lamp itself, but

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...e262649155.txt

Interesting -- sounds like the fixture might have been an old halogen
torchiere which indeed is a fire hazard for lots of reasons including the
high possibility of curtains/drapes blowing onto the hot surface of the
bulb. A few years ago, (1992-97) articles reported that halogen torchiers
were favorites of college dorm students as they could cook on them using the
dimmer to control the heat. Some of those torchieres used 500 watt bulbs
and then, later on, 350 watt bulbs.

But, what triggered the demise of halogen torchieres was the fire that
destroyed the home of Lionel Hampton. When the cause of that fire was traced
to a torchiere, people got excited, the CPSC got involved, UL tests were
changed to require a wire or glass guard around the bulb. Then, as energy
laws were passed in various places, torchieres had to become more efficient
and did so by a redesign using CFL bulbs. Some manufacturers also
redesigned torchieres into floor lamps. Here's the story:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Torchi...sh.-a019090478 and

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...amps-torchiere

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"=" wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

[...]

I converted a 500 watt sky lamp to CFL many years ago. It was very good.
Nice color temp, but of course not as bright as 500 watt. Even used same
dimmer.
Bulb bought at The Home Depot many years ago, as a dim able CFL. It was $
15-20 back then, and apparently a quality lamp.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
= = is offline

"gregz" wrote in message
"=" wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

[...]

That's good to hear after so much discussion about the short life of CFLs on
this NG. I've also had some CFLs, including a nice 3-way, that have been
working just fine for 9+ years now. I think buying Energy Star CFLs does
make a difference in the quality of the product.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

You warning for the fool came too late. He's been drawn and quartered, keel hauled, burned at the stake and hung until dead for his hanous disregard for the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 25, 2013 10:15:46 AM UTC-5, Art Harris wrote:
I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun. But probably not a good idea. Art Harris

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2013 10:45 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2013 10:15:46 AM UTC-5, Art Harris wrote:
I'd say it's 25% over the recommended maximun. But probably not a good idea. Art Harris

+1

Depends. Obviously, it is going to be hotter with the larger bulb.
I've done it in fixtures that are on for only a few minutes at a time.
No way would I do it in a ceiling fixture that may be on for hours at a
time and overheat.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

I'm not seeing the original post. Based on the question in the subject line:

Maybe it would work fine, or maybe it would overheat and burn something.

Why risk it?
Use a CFL bulb or an LED bulb that is equivalent to 75W would give you both
the lumens you want, and plenty of safety margin.