Junior Member

Default Water Bill through plumber's fault?

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

I moved into my flat (rented) approx 10 months ago. When I moved in, there was a problem with one of the toilets, and we informed the estate agents immediately. They called their own plumber to come and rectify the problem.
Now, 10 months on, I have received a water bill for over £500, as the £36 per month I pay the water company won't cover out new meter reading.
I rung the water company, who said it must definitely be a leak. After determining the leak was on the property, I switched off the water temporarily. Whilst investigating, we noticed the cistern from the broken toilet had completely drained. We have had a plumber acquaintance come out and have a look, and he said that the work originally done to the toilet has led the water to slowly drain from the cistern into the toilet, meaning that the cistern is constantly refilling itself. Due to the silent but steady nature of this problem, it has gone completely undetected.
I spoke to the estate agent this morning, who was quick to deny any fault and refused to absorb any portion of the bill.

Am I being stupid/naive to say that this problem was not something I should have to pay for completely by myself, and that the estate agents/landlord should at least offer to absorb some of the costs for the shoddy work that was initially done by their contracted plumber?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try the UK home repair group.
This group is mostly Americans.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"chellielou" wrote in message

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"chellielou" wrote in message

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Another DIYBanter user...

Yes - assuming the Op bothers to read this (many diy****** users pose a
question, the **** off never to be seen again).

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 15:20 chellielou wrote in alt.home.repair:

[...]

Given you had notified the agents of the problem, I would consider
withholding the water bill from your rent - but it might be best to take
some legal advice first.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 3:58*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."- Hide quoted text -

Hard to imagine that you could go through that much water
without noticing that the toilet is constantly refilling. Sometimes
water companies will forgive at least part of
an exceptional bill if you have a plausible story.... Assuming
the story is accurate, a reasonable resolution might be for
the water company to forgive some, split the rest 2 ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:20:47 +0000, chellielou
wrote:

[...]

I'm in the US so I don't know the laws or real estate market on your
side of the pond but if it were here, I'd say to first read your lease
to see if it covers this. Next, depending on your lease, I'd get the
problem/conclusion in writing and submit the copy of it to your
landlord for repair. If the landlord refuses to repair, again
depending on the lease, consider deducting it from the rent and fix
the repair at your cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 2:05*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't it be fun to be a judge on this case...

I'd say Water Company supplies water and 'might' be held accountable
only if the company has a responsibility to alert any user of what
seems like "out of the ordinary" consumption. If consumption is within
boundaries and loss not caused by them - not culpable.

Estate Agent accepted responsibility for the initial repair and
tantamountedly accepted the quality of work done by the subcontractor,
in this case the errant plumber, in two ways. First, accepted
responsibility for thie initial repair by organizing the repair and
second, by supplying a plumber at no charge to the tenant,
subsequently paying the plumber for services, and making it the Estate
Agent's responsibility to monitor the work done by the plumber. If the
landlord wished to avoid culpability, he/she should have allowed
tenant to seek repair and negotiate re-imbursement process for those
costs. THEN monitoring the workmanship would have become the
responsibility of the tenant.

In view of the fact that the tenant had NOT ignored that something was
wrong [in fact, had demonstrated the opposite by the initial
interaction] but simply had no indication of the leaking water, nor
had any other feedback mechanism that he was ignoring as the cost of
the wasted water mounted up, it is NOT possible to hold him culpable
for the water bill.

Any negotiated settlement other than this would simply alleviate some
of the burden to the responsible party, the Estate Agent. If all
parties accept such a settlement that's ok, too. But, if I were the
judge I'd put the whole blame on the Estate Agent.

Thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I some how remember there was a diy bummer
person several weeks ago, who posted a question
and never posted again. I remember there were
several dozen replies, follow up posts, trolls, etc.
This may turn out to be the same pattern.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 20:26 Stormin Mormon wrote in alt.home.repair:

Try the UK home repair group.
This group is mostly Americans.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"chellielou" wrote in message

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Another DIYBanter user...

Yes - assuming the Op bothers to read this (many
diy****** users pose a question, the **** off never
to be seen again).

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

news
wrote:

[...]

OR go make a claim through the Small Claims court.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:11:44 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

[...]

You make some very good points and I'd agree with you. The water
company supplied the product as used by the end user so they should be
paid. The tenant acted responsibly and the owner called an expert.

Seems to me, the owner should pay the bill and try to recover from the
"expert" that botched the job.

It should be very easy to prove the use was not taking long showers,
but a malfunction.

We has a similar situation at work. A little used toilet in a distant
bathroom was leaking water. We did get an unusually high water bill
and I did not know of any logical reason. Then one day I heard the
toilet filling and checked it out. The difference here though, out
maintenance guy is more competent than the plumber the OP had. Cost a
few hundred bucks in water though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:20:47 AM UTC-8, chellielou wrote:
[...]

Do you get a water bill once every ten months?
Is that how the water company bills?
I never heard of such a thing.
The longest Ive ever seen a water bill is once every two months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01-23-2013 20:57, EXT wrote:
OR go make a claim through the Small Claims court.

Do those exist in the OP's country?

--
Wes Groleau

€œIt is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.€
€” Thomas Jefferson
Junior Member

Location: Maidstone Kent

It's really difficult to notice some necessary things inside the house especially when we are busy doing something else. If you are paying £500 for this month’s water bill, that is too much compared to your previous month’s bill, which is only £36. You see the very big difference, don’t you? I think it's time for you to ask assistance from your nearest plumbing station to fix whatever's wrong with your loo. I hope your problem will be solved right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday 24 January 2013 04:40 Wes Groleau wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 01-23-2013 20:57, EXT wrote:
OR go make a claim through the Small Claims court.

Do those exist in the OP's country?

If it is the UK, then yes (with some variations between England, Scotland
and Wales since everyones' got some sort of local government now, with the
ironic exception of England!).

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 3:20*pm, chellielou
wrote:
[...]

You will need to look at the fine print on your tenacy agreement.

A lot of WCs these days have no external overflow, if there is a
problem with the fill/float valve the excess water runs down the flush
pipe into the WC pan.
It is a **** idea.
You need to be alert to this problem, it's quite hard to see the water
running into the pan sometimes.

There probably is legal recourse but it would cost big money to
implement it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 5:58*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:01:57 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Do you get a water bill once every ten months?
Is that how the water company bills?
I never heard of such a thing.
The longest I ve ever seen a water bill is once every two months.

We just went from twice a year to four times. *That is because they
raised the rates and figure it would be easier for people to pay
smaller amounts each time.

Once a month, one a quarter, yes. So, how did it go
10 months without the tenent noticing the higher bill
until it got to $500? And how could that much water run
through the toilet without someone noticing it refilling?
I'm with Stormin on this one. Sounds like a troll to me....

To those that blame the plumber, I'd also note that they
only say that a plumber came and fixed the toilet, no
indication of what was wrong with the toilet at that point.
And it wouldn't be the first one I've seen where it was
fixed, but later failed to seat correctly at some point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:20:47 +0000, chellielou
wrote in
Re Water Bill through plumber's
fault?:

We have had a plumber acquaintance
come out and have a look, and he said that the work originally done to
the toilet has led the water to slowly drain from the cistern into the
toilet, meaning that the cistern is constantly refilling itself.

Can this be proved (i.e. can a jury be convinced)? Will the plumber
acquaintance swear to it in court? Is he considered an "expert" for
such plumbing problems?

Those are the crucial questions for your case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

chellielou,

This is not a "home repair" question. It is a legal question. Find a
local legal forum or a tenant's rights group.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chellielou wrote:
[...]

It is my *opinion* that you are correct. Getting the agent to assume
liability - even partial - will be difficult. Do you have small claims
courts in the UK?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 2:56*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
chellielou wrote:
[...]

We do but it's for stuff like unpaid bills and non supply of goods
paid for etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 1:19*pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 24, 2:56*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

chellielou wrote:
[...]

paid for etc.- Hide quoted text -

What's the essential difference between unpaid bills, non-supply of
goods, etc and this water bill issue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2013 3:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Try the UK home repair group.
This group is mostly Americans.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"chellielou" wrote in message

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Why can't non-americans post here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Folks can, and do. But, it's like walking into a
auto repair garage, and asking how to sew shut
a hole in your clothing. You'll get blank looks,
and probably the wrong answers. If well meaning.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hench" wrote in message ...

Why can't non-americans post here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 25 January 2013 02:00 Hench wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 1/23/2013 3:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Try the UK home repair group.
This group is mostly Americans.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"chellielou" wrote in message

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Why can't non-americans post here?

They can and they do.

But they would do well to state their area if asking legal or regulatory
based questions

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."