Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indoor/Outdoor Weather Station Problem

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an old La Crosse, more than 5 years old,
still going...

Have you tried different locations,
especially your indoor station?
Sometimes that helps.

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2013 10:23 AM, Art Harris wrote:
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

There could have been corrosion to the electrical connection on the
outdoor sensor or if it has wires on the outside, squirrels are bad
about chewing on wires. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:23:54 -0800 (PST), Art Harris
wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

If you followed them exactly-- removing the batteries from the inside
one- then replacing the batteries in the outside one before replacing
the inside batteries--- Then try reversing the procedure and making
the receiver hot before the sender.

It matters, and I have several remote thingies- and some need an
active receiver first, others need an active sender first.

Jim
[and of course- check for on/off switches- or dead batteries.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/22/13 11:23 am, Art Harris wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

How cold is it where you are? What batteries did you use in the outdoor
unit? I think that the Lithium ones (e.g., Energizer Lithium) are
supposed to work at much lower temperatures than the regular ones.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

elbrecht wrote:
Art Harris

wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor

weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.

It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the

batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the

procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

If you followed them exactly-- removing the batteries from the inside

one- then replacing the batteries in the outside one before replacing

the inside batteries--- Then try reversing the procedure and making

the receiver hot before the sender.

It matters, and I have several remote thingies- and some need an

active receiver first, others need an active sender first.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I just tried powering up the receiver first, but no joy. Was worth a try though.

I think it's most likely that the transmitter unit is at fault (since it has has been outside in the heat and cold, though sheltered from rain and snow).

I put brand new Dura-cell batteries in both units, and checked their voltage.

Maybe I can get a new transmitter unit only from La Crosse. I like this product because it looks good, is easy to read, and gives me all I need to know and nothing more. It worked perfectly for about two years.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:23*am, Art Harris wrote:
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

Have you switched batteries between the units? HAve you placed the
outdoor transmitter just a couple of feet away from the receiver to
see if there is a response at the close-in distance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2013 10:23 AM, Art Harris wrote:
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

Are you sure that it is a model 8300? I have several La Crosse units but
I am not familiar with that model nor can I find it on their website. On
the units that I am familiar with you must reset the unit after changing
batteries. On some models you simply press the "+" key for a couple of
seconds until you hear a short beep. This synchronizes the transmitter
and receiver together.

To take a look at one of mine just point your browser to
www.dongares.com/weather.htm

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Harris" wrote in message

elbrecht wrote:
Art Harris

wrote:

[...]

Art The ones I have (not your brand) have 3 different settings to match the
receiver. When the batteries die I need to match them up after replacing the
batteries. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/22/2013 12:37 PM, Art Harris wrote:
elbrecht wrote:
Art Harris

I think it's most likely that the transmitter unit is at fault
(since it has has been outside in the heat and cold, though sheltered
fromrain and snow).

Well, that's where it's supposed to be so I wouldn't presume that should
cause a problem..

I put brand new Dura-cell batteries in both units, and checked their
voltage.

I have a Davis Instruments unit and when it occasionally loses the
signal from the outside unit I walk the receiver closer until it synch's
again and then can return it to the spot in the house where it normally
resides (the remote unit is behind the silo and the house has steel
siding from direct site of the unit but it was the only convenient place
at the time and I've not worked on rigging up a special location for
it). Anyway, I'd suggest trying that as someone else also
suggested--get the two in close proximity. There should be a way to
test the communications on the base unit I'd think.

Contact LeCrosse directly--I presume they have a tech support group--the
Davis Instruments folks are very helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:32:41 PM UTC-5, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is an 8300. Here's what it looks like:

http://lacrossetechnology.com/8300/

Their instruction is to put batteries in the Transmitting unit first, then the receiving unit (with the units a few feet apart). I've tried both ways.

I got this unit a couple of years ago, so it may be discontinued. Has worked flawlessly until now. The coldest it gets around here is around 5F and that's rare. The night it failed was only around 27F.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-01-22, Art Harris wrote:
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station

This is jes my two cents. First, be aware La Crosse is about the
cheapest weather stuff available. Walmart carries it. My LC remote
temp thingie lasted 1 yr before dying most especially dead for no
particular reason. Second, I wouldn't buy Duracell at gunpoint! I've
seen their alkaline coppertop batteries stop working in sub-freezing
temps. That has never happened with Energizers, IME.

Free bonus fyi cent: Don't waster yer money on Energinzer lithiums.
IMO, they're worth more than any la crosse unit you put 'em in.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2013 1:37 PM, Art Harris wrote:
elbrecht wrote:
Art Harris

wrote:

[...]

The unit we have has a small LED on the sender. It winks when the sender
is sending a reading. Does your unit have an LED?

I put brand new Dura-cell batteries in both units, and checked their voltage.

Maybe I can get a new transmitter unit only from La Crosse. I like this product because it looks good, is easy to read, and gives me all I need to know and nothing more. It worked perfectly for about two years.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-01-22, Art Harris wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor

weather station

This is jes my two cents. First, be aware La Crosse is about the

cheapest weather stuff available. Walmart carries it.

I'm not a "serious" weather guy. This unit was a gift. It looks nice and uncluttered in my kitchen, and gives accurate outdoor temp data so I can decide what to wear before going outside. I had no trouble for about two years (never even had to replace the batts). If I can get new sensor for around $20 I'll be a happy camper.

Art

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

My remote temp from Walmart, has a teeny tiny reset button on the back.
Needs tip of pen or pencil to push the remote. I think both TX and RX have
reset button.

As someone else suggested, test the batteries you put in. I've seen duds
from the package. Visually also check for corroded spring and terminal
inside the unit.

Please let us know how it works out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Art Harris" wrote in message
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

That should do it. Maybe try the outside ones again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

That should do it. Maybe try the outside ones again.

BTW I love mine. I wish I could buy a couple more for the bedrooms
that use the same outside temp. sensor. The small bedroom size ones
do not come with the outside temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

I have another brand and you connect the components together with what
is essentially phone wire with connectors. The connectors corroded
and needed to be cleaned up.

I use lithium batteries and get at least two years out of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: Indoor/Outdoor Weather Station Problem Solved

Since it seemed more likely than not that the outdoor sensor was the culprit, I located and ordered a replacement sensor. I installed batteries in the new sensor first, then in the indoor unit. After about ten seconds, the indoor unit started to respond. Moved the sensor to it's usual outdoor location, and all is back to normal.

Thanks to all who responded!

Interesting footnote: The online shop I bought the sensor from is for wine enthusiasts. They sell the weather station to folks who want to monitor the temperature and humidity of their wine cellar!

Art Harris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 11:23:54 AM UTC-5, Art Harris wrote:
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor
weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit.
It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.

Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the
batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the
procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.

Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar
weather product.

Thanks,
Art

open up the transmitter
clean the curcuit board with a paper towel
THERE IS SOME WHITE POWDER ON THE TERMINALS BEHIND THE JACKS
Clean off the corrosion and any bugs that have got inside
Clean the inside of the jacks
Shold work now