Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What year is this freezer?

My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 3:57*am, "NotMe" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. *I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. *30+ years is my wife's guess. *Model is
106.628440. *The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. * Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

Were the operating instruction written in Sanskrit?

a new freezer will pay for itself in under a year in eletricity
savings, note chest freezers are far more efficent than upright
ones......

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the unit still has the serial number sticker, sometimes it says if it's
R12 refrigerant, or R134a. They changed over about 1994 or 1995. Might be
some help.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2013 7:31 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Jan 21, 3:57 am, "NotMe" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

Were the operating instruction written in Sanskrit?

a new freezer will pay for itself in under a year in eletricity
savings, note chest freezers are far more efficent than upright
ones......

I have an old freezer and wondered if replacing it would pay for itself
in some short time. BTW, mine is not broken and still works quite well.
Someone here suggested that I use a Kill-a-watt unit to check how much
electricity the thing actually uses. I feel stupid because I have a
Kill-a-watt unit and didn't really remember that is can be set up to
gather power data over a long period of time. Anyway, I ran the freezer
through the Kill-a-watt for a week and then calculated the cost using my
local provider's cost per kilowatt. I found that it only cost about
$110 per year to run it. So it would not pay for itself in a year or
even several years, so it's still chugging along. I know this doesn't
help the OP as his is on its last leg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's got black tubular coils, cleaning them can sometimes help, a lot.

Freezers also do leak refrigerant, and might need to be charged up. I've
done enough of those. Sometimes, slow leak can leak out the refrigerant over
a period of years, and a charge can buy you some time. Not many techs bother
with refrigerant charges. Some do, like me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 04:31:38 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Jan 21, 3:57*am, "NotMe" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. *I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. *30+ years is my wife's guess. *Model is
106.628440. *The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. * Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

Were the operating instruction written in Sanskrit?

a new freezer will pay for itself in under a year in eletricity
savings, note chest freezers are far more efficent than upright
ones......

Not even at Ontario Hydro rates. Mabee in 3 years, if you are lucky.
Difference in operating cost between a 1984 spec 17 cu ft chest
freezer and today's energy star rated unit would amount to roughly $50
per year. PLEASE show me where I can by an energy star rated 17 cu ft
chest freezer for $50 - or even $150.

Calculated at $0.14 KwH
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

With a "guestimate" of 30 years, you KNOW it was not R134.

Could very well be R22 though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is
106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

If you cannot locate and repair the leak, it is ILLEGA:L to regas
them. And if there is no leak, they will NOT loose gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never sure. Peoples memories do strange things.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

With a "guestimate" of 30 years, you KNOW it was not R134.

Could very well be R22 though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been a while since I got my EPA card.
But back then, if a system has less than
50 pounds of refrigerant, it's legal to top
them off as often and as much as you want.

USA rules, y'know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

If you cannot locate and repair the leak, it is ILLEGA:L to regas
them. And if there is no leak, they will NOT loose gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:17:45 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's been a while since I got my EPA card.
But back then, if a system has less than
50 pounds of refrigerant, it's legal to top
them off as often and as much as you want.

USA rules, y'know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

If you cannot locate and repair the leak, it is ILLEGA:L to regas
them. And if there is no leak, they will NOT loose gas.

Up here even a 2 lb system you cannot top up unless you repair it
first
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 4:27*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:50:25 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. *I am trying to figure out
how long we have had it. *30+ years is my wife's guess. *Model is
106.628440. *The original parts list does not have a date and we can't
find any sales slip or other info. * Any idea how to tell about how
old it is?

If it's dying, the age dont much matter anymore. *However if you really
want to know, sears might have something on their website. *Also, use
google or other search engine and enter that model number, *Who knows
what you might find.

Try this google search (your own message came up too)http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...6.628440&btnG=...

with a older fridge energy use may skyrocket in hot weather, since the
old fiberglass insulation isnt nearly as good modern closed cell
insulation....

so in hot weather a freezer might be a energy piggie.......

I can report around 15 years ago i replaced my 1953 fridge it was
older than i was and saw a significant drop in electric use

Posted to alt.home.repair

I sensed that the regulations were different in
Canada.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Up here even a 2 lb system you cannot top up
unless you repair it first

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's not always true. I have an old 1940s refrigerator. I got a
newer fridge from around the early to mid 2000s. The new one ran my
electric bill up about $15 a month. Since that old one still worked, I
saved it, so I went back to that one, and the bill came down that
amount. The newer one does have a separate freezer and is larger, it
also has the auto-defrost, which the old one didn't. I suppose that all
adds up. I did eventually go back to the newer one just because I
wanted the freezer, but still have the old one in the garage, which is
there if I want to use it for a special occasion like a party.

I know the new on wont last even close to the age of that old one.
Those things were built to last almost forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They stopped making them in 1976.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/18/19 8:42 PM, wrote:
They stopped making them in 1976.

What year did you fill out your warranty card?