DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Composition of old cloth covered wire (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/349106-composition-old-cloth-covered-wire.html)

[email protected] November 13th 12 07:45 AM

Composition of old cloth covered wire

What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire?
Obviously some sort of cloth. What kind? Then what was added to it to
make it firm? From what I've seen it appears that some contained tar or
some sort of wax. But the white and red wires were painted, and I dont
think paint would adhere to wax. I'll take a wild guess and say that the
earlier stuff was not the same as the later. For example the early
knob and tube wire was thicker and seemed more tar-like, whereas the
later stuff found in BX was of a different consistency, with less
thickness.

Vic Smith November 13th 12 02:08 PM

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 01:45:53 -0600, wrote:

What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire?
Obviously some sort of cloth. What kind? Then what was added to it to
make it firm? From what I've seen it appears that some contained tar or
some sort of wax. But the white and red wires were painted, and I dont
think paint would adhere to wax. I'll take a wild guess and say that the
earlier stuff was not the same as the later. For example the early
knob and tube wire was thicker and seemed more tar-like, whereas the
later stuff found in BX was of a different consistency, with less
thickness.

Here's the Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers - 1918 edition.
http://tinyurl.com/besodg3

Paul Drahn November 13th 12 06:54 PM

On 11/12/2012 11:45 PM, wrote:
What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire?
Obviously some sort of cloth. What kind? Then what was added to it to
make it firm? From what I've seen it appears that some contained tar or
some sort of wax. But the white and red wires were painted, and I dont
think paint would adhere to wax. I'll take a wild guess and say that the
earlier stuff was not the same as the later. For example the early
knob and tube wire was thicker and seemed more tar-like, whereas the
later stuff found in BX was of a different consistency, with less
thickness.

Petroleum tar would quickly become brittle and break up into tiny
particles. Coal tar will stay flexible for ever.

Paul

gpsman November 14th 12 06:22 AM

On Nov 13, 2:46*am, wrote:
What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire?

Copper.
-----

- gpsman

[email protected] November 14th 12 10:29 AM

Composition of old cloth covered wire

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:22:19 -0800 (PST), gpsman
wrote:

On Nov 13, 2:46*am, wrote:
What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire?

Copper.
-----

- gpsman

Always a smart-ass! :)