Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

You tell em, Sherrif!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joe Arpaio" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Is the whole world illiterate now?

Prolly

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 8:35*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
Perhaps you can just cut a rectangular or any other convenient shape hole,
then cover it with a piece of wood that you've cut the hole in while on
the ground.

--
* * There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
* * plausible, and wrong." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(H L Mencken)

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

The problem is no longer about cutting the hole, now it's about
getting ductwork into the interior of the soffit.

The rafters come down at an angle (obviously) and the wood for the
soffit goes up a slightly less angle. The space between the rafters
and the "bottom" of the soffit on the inside is less than I need to
get any kind of elbow in there. I need to look for some flat ductwork
or have something made up.

I've got a good roofing contractor that I can talk to about it. I may
even have him do it and be done with the project.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 994195072370824073.403230teamarrows-
, says...

Bill wrote:
I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw
and arbor for this one hole...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need
to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on
a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be
a LOT more expensive that what you would save
not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

You would rent scaffolding to cut one hole? Having never rented
scaffolding, my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just call a
contractor and have him/her cut the hole.

Yes and I would rent a bucket truck to saw off one branch of a tree if
that was the safe way to do it. Businesses will rent a man lift to
replace one burned out light bulb if they have a high ceiling lobby.

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

The general idea is to not get injured while working - even if drilling
"just one hole" or sawing "just one branch".

I know a guy who fell off a ladder and is now a paraplegic - rides
around in a wheel chair.

Ladder injuries and ladder safety...
http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/...ty/default.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:35*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
[...]

That's unusual. A project that blows past deadline, skyrockets over
budget, and requires a slew of engineering change orders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

Michael Vick is wearing a kevlar vest to protect his ribs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2012 08:19 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bill wrote:

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

Michael Vick is wearing a kevlar vest to protect his ribs.

Yeah I heard that last night, and it puzzled me. Kevlar is very good
for stopping object penetration without the weight penalty, but what
kind of penetration is it intended to prevent when used as a ribcage
protector?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

Michael Vick is wearing a kevlar vest to protect his ribs.

Yeah I heard that last night, and it puzzled me. Kevlar is very good
for stopping object penetration without the weight penalty, but what
kind of penetration is it intended to prevent when used as a ribcage
protector?

Jon

I assume it isn't to prevent penetration, but simply to distribute, over
a wider area, any shock from a blow to the ribs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 1, 2012 1:45:12 PM UTC-4, Smitty Two wrote:
WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself"
lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

More annoying than, "my *whatever* needs replaced?"

It's, "needs replacING," or, "needs TO BE replaced," people.

Or, the interchangeable use of "there, their, and they're?"

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee"
so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup
of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 1, 2012 12:43:18 PM UTC-4, Atila Iskander wrote:
Back off the pressure and take my finger off the trigger is what I do
Works every time.

Let's say the drill is turning 600 RPM. That gives you 1/10 of a second to react, while standing on a ladder 28' in the air. Good luck with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 8:02*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:35*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
[...]

Very unusual indeed... I have never had one of mine do that...since
the last one...and the one before that...and...

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 9:45*am, Smitty Two wrote:

* Bill wrote:

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

Michael Vick is wearing a kevlar vest to protect his ribs.

Yeah I heard that last night, and it puzzled me. *Kevlar is very good
for stopping object penetration without the weight penalty, but what
kind of penetration is it intended to prevent when used as a ribcage
protector?

Jon

I assume it isn't to prevent penetration, but simply to distribute, over
a wider area, any shock from a blow to the ribs.

Or protect from dog bites.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 12:48*pm, wrote:
On Monday, October 1, 2012 1:45:12 PM UTC-4, Smitty Two wrote:
*WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself"
lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

More annoying than, "my *whatever* needs replaced?"

It's, "needs replacING," or, "needs TO BE replaced," people.

Or, the interchangeable use of "there, their, and they're?"

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee"
so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup
of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?

Yes.

I like your answer better then his. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe Arpaio" wrote in
eb.com:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Is the whole world illiterate now?

Prolly

That one "word" says "I learned the Internet on a modem" in AOL 'rooms'".
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Larry W, Kurt wrote:
Genius

--