Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX for refrigerant

Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2012 6:22 PM, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

Don't know personally but googled it up and got hits:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Refrigerant...r-HVAC-1690000

I would have worried about embrittlement at low temperatures and higher
pressures but guess it can be handled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it. The
2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. If you look at a bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

Also ,what is the pressuer ratings of PEX ? It may be too low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:51:13 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it. The
2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. If you look at a bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

That's a joke I hope. Or do you really think water is a compressible
liquid....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it. *The
2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. *If you look at a bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. *The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

That's a joke I hope. *Or do you really think water is a compressible
liquid....

Do you really think that the flexible plastic
container that soda is typically dispensed
in might play a role in such observations
when the pressure inside decreases...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never heard of anything like that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd wonder about the fittings leaking.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it. The
2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. If you look at a bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

Also ,what is the pressuer ratings of PEX ? It may be too low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it.
The

2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. If you look at a
bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

That's a joke I hope. Or do you really think water is a compressible
liquid....

No , no joke. I just retired from a company that made the polyester that
was shipped to the companies that make the plastic bottles.

No Water will not compress. The plastic streaches. When there is a lot of
co2 gas pressure, the sides of the bottle expands outwards, so it is
slightly wider. The liquid flows outward so it looks like there is less in
the bottles. As the coke looses gas, the sides of the bottle go back in and
make the bottle have a slightly less diameter. If you do not believe this,
buy a new 2 liter cokes that look the emptiest and one that looks fuller,
then let them sit aroud a week or two and compair again. Also compair the
taste of two , one being much more fuller looking than the other.

That is why there is no or almost no plastic beer bottles, the beer goes
flat too quick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
On 9/18/2012 6:22 PM, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

Don't know personally but googled it up and got hits:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Refrigerant...r-HVAC-1690000

I would have worried about embrittlement at low temperatures and higher
pressures but guess it can be handled.

If you look at the picture, the pipes may be made by PEX but I can see a
copper liner exposed at the ends of the piping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2012 6:33 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/18/2012 6:22 PM, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

Don't know personally but googled it up and got hits:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Refrigerant...r-HVAC-1690000

I think they are just standard pre-made copper line sets (copper tubing,
flared ends with flared nuts and overall insulation) that happen to be
sold by a company named "pexsupply"

I would have worried about embrittlement at low temperatures and higher
pressures but guess it can be handled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:14:53 -0400, George
wrote:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Refrigerant...r-HVAC-1690000

I think they are just standard pre-made copper line sets (copper tubing,
flared ends with flared nuts and overall insulation) that happen to be
sold by a company named "pexsupply"

Those lines seem to be for mini-split systems. Found this in the FAQ.

Q: What is the tubing material? What is the minimum bend radius of the
line?

A: The tubing is made out of level-wound copper. The minimum bend
radius is not a listed spec. We would estimate that it would be about
7 times the outside diameter of the copper.

Answered on 10/14/2011 by PexSupply Staff from NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2012 10:27 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

And why there is a special version of PEX tubing for use in heating
systems that includes an additional layer which acts as an oxygen barrier.

http://www.uponorpro.com/Extranet/Layouts/ProductAndToolModal.aspx?id={4877E84D-7371-4000-83A7-C623E4F645B5}

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Refrigerant...r-HVAC-1690000

I think they are just standard pre-made copper line sets (copper tubing,
flared ends with flared nuts and overall insulation) that happen to be
sold by a company named "pexsupply"

Those lines seem to be for mini-split systems. Found this in the FAQ.

Q: What is the tubing material? What is the minimum bend radius of the
line?

A: The tubing is made out of level-wound copper. The minimum bend
radius is not a listed spec. We would estimate that it would be about
7 times the outside diameter of the copper.

Answered on 10/14/2011 by PexSupply Staff from NY

Wasn't sure if lined or fittings. Not sure why PEX is even used as
modulus is lower than copper. Could have been any plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 8:54*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 9/18/2012 5:22 PM, wrote:

Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I do a lot of refrigeration and AC work and I've never come across any
line sets that were anything but metal. I've had to braze copper to
steel fittings and copper can't be used with ammonia refrigerants you
must use steel pipe. PEX could used for an evaporator drain line but
it depends on the jurisdiction. The last commercial job I was on had
the PVC drain lines removed and replaced with copper as per inspector
order. O_o

TDD

Which is why if you were designing a good system, your
process liquid would be treated water and the refrigerant
charge would only be located in the chilling machine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 9/18/2012 5:22 PM, wrote:

Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I do a lot of refrigeration and AC work and I've never come across any
line sets that were anything but metal. I've had to braze copper to
steel fittings and copper can't be used with ammonia refrigerants you
must use steel pipe. PEX could used for an evaporator drain line but
it depends on the jurisdiction. The last commercial job I was on had
the PVC drain lines removed and replaced with copper as per inspector
order. O_o

TDD

Which is why if you were designing a good system, your
process liquid would be treated water and the refrigerant
charge would only be located in the chilling machine...

Not sure what you're referring to but PVC for condensate drain lines is
perfectly acceptable in most jurisdictions but for some reason the
inspector wanted the PVC drain lines on that particular job replaced
with copper. It was in a clothing store and I think it had something to
do with the fact that the drain lines were in what is technically a
return air plenum and the plastic was not plenum rated. If I had been
involved with the AC system I would have checked on that myself but I
was installing the point of sale system, phone system and wiring for the
traffic counter. The poor fellows installing the AC units were quite
flummoxed by the requirement for copper drains which is why the
GC brought in another sub to fix it. All the wiring I installed was
plenum rated as per code requirements. Come to think of it, I believe
the thermostat wire had to be replaced with plenum rated cable too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC
refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

I don't know about PEX, but some plastics will let gas pass through it. *The
2 liter and like Coke bottles will let the co2 out. *If you look at a bunch
of them in a store, some will seem to have more it them than others. *The
ones that look fuller are the old ones.

That's a joke I hope. *Or do you really think water is a compressible
liquid....

Do you really think that the flexible plastic
container that soda is typically dispensed
in might play a role in such observations
when the pressure inside decreases...

To the extent that a noticeable change in surface level occurs? No I
do not so think. If you think it does do this experiment.... get a
new bottle and mark the level .. then open it and see if the level is
noticeably higher then the mark. I plan to do this sometime in the
next day or so just to see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 5:22:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

There is a new product that was announced at the ASHRAE show. It has the ICC ratings for all refrigerants. It is called Multi-Flex. It is a multi layered pipe that replaces copper in line sets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2015 3:45 PM, Dean wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 5:22:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

There is a new product that was announced at the

ASHRAE show. It has the ICC ratings for all refrigerants.
It is called Multi-Flex. It is a multi layered pipe
that replaces copper in line sets.

Hope that cuts down on theft.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes there is a friend of mine used it last week for the first time and said it was awesome and very easy to use! Can't wait to try it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 3:22:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Is there such thing as PEX that you can use instead of copper for HVAC refrigerant?

Thanks!

Sam

yes we sell them it is called mutli flex please email me at
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe they are speaking of Gel Copper linesets. Copper linesets with a polyethylene cover on the insulation.

http://pdmus.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ralph Mowery, woody wrote:
The pressure rating of PEX is far below the requirement. 500/200 psi in A/C's
plus some factor of safety. Pex stops at 160 or so, and increases with the
smaller diameters.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-713777-.htm

new a/c refrigerant? Jean Home Repair 11 May 10th 09 08:07 AM
Locking Down Refrigerant [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 8th 07 01:35 AM
R-22 or R-410 refrigerant? Walter R. Home Repair 15 October 8th 05 05:03 AM
refrigerant velovelo13 Home Repair 4 August 19th 04 10:25 AM
refrigerant velovelo13 Home Repair 1 August 18th 04 09:19 PM