Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What could possibly be under stucco that can't be drilled through

I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Vinny P." wrote:

I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

I'll let others speculate on what you're hitting, but steel can be
readily drilled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2012 8:53 AM, Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

the normal stucco coating is put on over various things.

usually, it's:
frame
sheathing
tar paper (or equivalent)
styrofoam
chickenwire
stucco coats (2)

you could be hitting a nail or screw, or some sort of metal sheathing at
the corners. i can't see where you're drilling from here. does the bit
come out with metal slivers? try a metal bit once you get to the hard depth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:02:31 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

I'll let others speculate on what you're hitting, but steel can be
readily drilled.

A shear wall can have heavy steel straps or steel plate. A call to the
local permit office may give answers specific to the locality.

... 2 cents
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

I'll let others speculate on what you're hitting, but steel can be
readily drilled.

A shear wall can have heavy steel straps or steel plate. A call to the
local permit office may give answers specific to the locality.

.. 2 cents

Excellent point. Especially if the home is in an earthquake prone area.
There is a lot of steel added to such homes due to the effects of
earthquakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:53:32 AM UTC-7, Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits

dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just

trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco

near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a

stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the

problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few

feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

1.Try a better quality drill bit and don’t let it get hot which is very easy to do when it’s covered in stucco. Pull it out frequently and dip it in water when it’s still warm before it gets hot.
2. Make sure you don’t have anything like a gas, water or electrical line under that steel or you may get a big surprise when you finally drill through it. I know I have had some surprises like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny P." wrote:

I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

I'll let others speculate on what you're hitting, but steel can be
readily drilled.

Not so well with a masonry bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

Steel, probably. Once you are through the stucco switch to a regular twist
bit - masonry bits are good for masonry, not much else - and try your luck.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote the following on 7/31/2012 11:53 AM (ET):
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

You probably hit a metal framing hanger (or framing metal hanger) in
that first area.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 31, 10:53*am, "Vinny P." wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

Probably a steel support of some kind.
Here's how I wold handle it. Find a cobalt drill bit the correct size
for tapped threads of the bolts you plan to use. Drill out the hole
and tap threads into the steel with proper techniques. Insert bolt and
tighten, and if there is sufficient material to act as a retaining
nut, go with that, adding other tapped holes as needed by the mount.
If the 'steel' is too flimsy, drill out for the bolt clearance
(cobalt, again) and use conventional bolt + nut.
Use care drilling if you are on a ladder.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 10:53*am, "Vinny P." wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits
dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just
trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

A photo of the immediate area and a general photo would sure be
helpful!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:59:56 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

Steel, probably. Once you are through the stucco switch to a regular twist
bit - masonry bits are good for masonry, not much else - and try your luck.

This is not entirely true. When I encounter steel that is hard to
drill, and dulls all the standard twist drill bits, I always grab a
carbide tipped masonry drill bit. It may be slow, but it always bores
thru the steel. The key is to run the drill slow and apply moderate
pressure to the drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

Steel, probably. *Once you are through the stucco switch to a regular twist
bit - masonry bits are good for masonry, not much else - and try your luck.

This is not entirely true. *When I encounter steel that is hard to
drill, and dulls all the standard twist drill bits, I always grab a
carbide tipped masonry drill bit. *It may be slow, but it always bores
thru the steel. *The key is to run the drill slow and apply moderate
pressure to the drill.

My house is stucco and from time to time I have tried to drill a hole
outside and failed -- just won't work. I even bought an electric
drill just for that purpose. My late husband had a battery operated
drill and it was never strong enough to drill anywhere on stucco. The
new one will work -- but in certain places it won't. Think there must
be those steel plates...or something near the edges of windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

Stucco will probaly dull a steel dril bit all by itself. A masonry bit will do
much better on the stucco, but won't touch steel if you hit that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

There is no compelling reason to put a satellite dish on the roof. The
difference of twenty feet in 200 miles is undetectable. A better place for
mounting is on a deck. Another good spot is on a fence pole set in concrete.

Having the thing reachable also makes it possible to remove the snow - if
you're in that sort of climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:53:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Vinny P. wrote:
[...]

My read was this is a WISP, not television, but the OP used a mount
from an old dish. He needs a more direct line of sight to the city....

WISP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
[...]

It has to have a line-of-sight to the satellite, free of trees and all that.
It's often easier to put them on the roof than elsewhere. I agree, though,
it's not a good idea if there is any reasonable alternative.

Having the thing reachable also makes it possible to remove the snow - if
you're in that sort of climate.

Snow? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

Steel, probably. Once you are through the stucco switch to a regular twist
bit - masonry bits are good for masonry, not much else - and try your luck.

I might also think you could see into the hole with a light after going
through the stucco.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2012 11:53 AM, Vinny P. wrote:

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

If it's a natural gas pipe or a nail plate, you should prolly stop
drilling there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

Steel, probably. Once you are through the stucco switch to a regular twist
bit - masonry bits are good for masonry, not much else - and try your luck.

This is not entirely true. When I encounter steel that is hard to
drill, and dulls all the standard twist drill bits, I always grab a
carbide tipped masonry drill bit. It may be slow, but it always bores
thru the steel. The key is to run the drill slow and apply moderate
pressure to the drill.

Could be anything. I would probably chisel out an opening large enough to see before forcing through a steel part. Conduit, water pipe, vent pipe, hidden wall safe full of ....... I'll be right over!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
MT MT is offline

replying to Dottie, MT wrote:
Did you ever get an answer on this?