DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/343291-re-where-get-parts-nikon-d5000-slr-dx-vr-af-s.html)

Arklin K. July 6th 12 08:48 PM

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:02:40 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658510.jpg

It's a Nikon DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens on a Nikon
D5000.

I dropped the camera and the only thing that broke was this tiny piece
of plastic around the lens (which, unfortunately, holds the lens on the
camera):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658511.jpg

I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
maybe how to install it on the lens.

In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
get one cheap mailorder?

As a summary:
0. Calling 800-645-6687 and spending more than an hour with them, I find:
1. Nikon will sell parts to consumers
2. Nikon will not provide a parts diagram.
3. You have to describe the part, and they will sell it to you.
4. For me, that part number is a "bayonet mount" PN 1C999-601-2 $9.45
5. The filter is apparently a 52mm glass filter
6. People tell me I can get the filter for about $15 mail order
7. Most say the lens will be difficult to fix
8. Mostly because of the circuit board ribbon
9. So I will write up a pictorial DIY to help the next person!

EMOTIONAL ISSUES: (take them with a grain of salt please)

In hindsight, the Nikons I bought from Costco (Coolpix 5000, Nikon D50,
Nikon D60, and Nikon D5000) are all junk cameras; but it's not their
fault. Here is a snapshot of just the broken ones in the top of my camera
box just now:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8663059.jpg

The Costco Nikons just can't take daily use. I guess they're for
vacations only in good weather and only under sterile conditions (not
normal day-to-day life). For me, I need a camera that can go where I go.
Nothing more complicated than that - but it has to take jostling and
dropping and nudging and bouncing around like any camera should.

Nonetheless, I blame nobody but myself for buying the Costco Nikon junk.
It's all my fault. Plastic is plastic. Plastic is junk. Plastic breaks.
All the time. They don't last a year. However, since I already own them,
I'm trying to fix this one camera (and maybe I'll fix the other four or
five in my camera box if this works).

------- HELP -------
The one open question is how to get a hold of the exploded parts diagram
for Nikon equipment (because Nikon won't supply them!).

Q: Do you know where to get exploded diagrams of Nikon equipment?

Savageduck[_2_] July 6th 12 09:06 PM

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

On 2012-07-06 12:48:08 -0700, "Arklin K." said:

[...]

Here this might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTbJj_rcvk

....and this guy has four;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikkor-18-55...ht_1538wt_1398
--

Regards,

Savageduck

nospam[_3_] July 6th 12 10:14 PM

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

In article , Arklin K.
wrote:

Q: Do you know where to get exploded diagrams of Nikon equipment?

your local repair shop has them and you might be able to find them
online.

tony cooper July 7th 12 01:56 AM

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:48:08 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

[...]

You've already posted to photo.net under the name RockSock Doc.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida