Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's inside of these modern electronic ballasts

What's inside of these modern electronic ballasts for florescent shop
lights and other straight tube fixtures? I know these ballasts are
being sold more and more to replace the old iron core magnetic types,
but what's going on inside of them? Obviously there are semiconductors
and other electronic components. I would suspect that a capacitor
discharges to start the bulbs.

I tried to google a schematic, found several showing how to wire them
(same as the old style ballasts), but none show the innards or a
schematic that explains how they work.

I also wonder how durable and reliable they are compared to the old
ones? Electronics are often more likely to burn out from power line
surges caused by lightning and load surges. Since surges occur in all
electrical systems, are the electronic types as durable as the old coil
wrapped around iron ("transformer") types.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You got bridge to make dc, mosfets to switch at high frequency, inductor
and caps.
More efficient but probably less reliable, but ballasts break too.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The circuitry is fairly basic: RF filter, surge protection, ac-dc power
supply, inverter (dc to high-frequency ac), current limiter (fluorescent
ballasts are constant-current devices) and starting circuitry.

The surge protection feature has been included since the 1980s when the
first electronic ballasts were used in buildings. Whole buildings were
converted, lightning struck and whole buildings went dark with ballast
failures. One manufacturer went bankrupt trying to honor warranty
replacements. Doesn't take too many of those to get the attention of the
industry.

No, the new electronic ballasts don't appear to be as durable as the old
"core-and-coil" types -- not much to go wrong with a wire wrapped around a
few steel plates; but just like a TV or any other electronic device, the
circuitry is reliable depending upon the manufacturer. A bonus is that
lamps are more efficient and last longer on electronic ballasts. I built a
house 10 years ago with indirect fluorescent lighting in most of the rooms.
There are 20+ ballasts. So far, one lamp has failed -- no ballast failures.
And, last year set a new record for rain and lightning storms in the area.

Just like any other electronic device, I think heat and capacitor wear out
are or will be the cause of most electronic ballast failures. CFL bulbs are
good examples of that.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in news:1216010132358050972.266977zekor-
:

wrote:
[...]

I took apart a cheapo dollar store 60W CFL(spiral type),and the ballast was
a 2 transistor circuit with a tiny ferrite core transformer and a couple of
electrolytic caps configured as a voltage doubler,that rectified and
doubled the input line voltage. this was all in a space the size of a new
dollar coin.

The input V is rectified and doubled to around 300-320 VDC,then the
transistors switch the DCV through the transformer to generate the higher
AC voltage to power the FL tube. The tube filaments are in series across
the transformer output and are energized at cold start by the high
impedance across the tube until the arc discharge begins.the arc
effectively shorts out the filaments,so they don't burn up during normal
operation.

I doubt that throwaway CFLs will have any surge protection.

I suspect that the wear items for an electronic ballast will be the
electrolytic caps,as they are in other power supplies and electronic
circuits.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nothing like good old planned obsolescence. How much would it really
cost the manufacturers to substitute electrolytic caps with somewhat
higher power ratings? I'd gladly pay an additional $0.20 - $0.50 per
CFL or fixture for substantially longer mean time before failure.

the caps in there are 105degF 250V caps,seem to be rated fine.
electrolytics DO have a finite lifetime,usually several thousand hours of
operation. But the CFLs often are in "hot" environments that shorten their
lifetime. That's why many are not rated for "base up" operation;the ballast
receives the heat from the fixture.

switcher power supplies usually put a fast rise waveform across the
caps,that have high harmonics and generates a lot of internal heat.
electrolytics lasted a lot longer at 60Hz frequencies and sine-wave
operation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2012 15:54:21 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Nothing like good old planned obsolescence. How much would it really
cost the manufacturers to substitute electrolytic caps with somewhat
higher power ratings? I'd gladly pay an additional $0.20 - $0.50 per CFL
or fixture for substantially longer mean time before failure.

As long as electronic ballasts are lasting (fairly long in my opinion)
I'd bet they are already using a high quality cap where it really
counts... on the high frequency circuits. Electrolytic caps often
suffer from ESR, and the only place this is normally a problem is the
high freq switching circuits and if they where using cheap caps there,
the life of a ballast may be only a year or two. I'm having much better
luck with el cheapo "lights of america" brand ones. No complaints here.

Is this bad capacitor thing "planned obsolescence"?
It must be. That's all I hear in the last decade. Computers, and other
electronics, ballasts, and the list goes on.......

Back in the 1960's and 70's I worked on electronics as a hobby and did
repairs. Much of the stuff was old vacuum tube stuff and early
transistor stuff. I *rarely* had to replace caps. It was normally a
tube, transistor, bad connection, or a bad potentiometer. When a cap
went bad, the device did nto stop working, just there would be hum in
the speaker from a weak filter cap. Much of the stuff I worked on was
20 or 30 years old. In fact I still have a 1940's tube type shortwave
radio and it still has the original caps and works well.

You'd think that with our technology that caps would be BETTER than they
used to be..... instead they're junk. If they want to keep putting
these foreign made junk caps in our electronics, maybe everyone should
stop buying the crap until they begin using good caps. I'm sure they
can make good ones......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

MOST are now better than they were 10 years ago. There was a batch of
counterfeit electrolyte out there from guess where - it starts with ch
and ends in a.

Capacitors from even the best manufacturers ended up affected.

That crap has worked its way out of the system -more or less.

No telling what is in some of the cheap crap coming out of there today
- but at least now the problem is known.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm open to ideas. Is the poor quality a plan to get us to buy more items,
as they don't last as long?

How much cap would a crap cap cap, if a good cap could crap cap?

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled Picofarads.

Six thick sticks, twixt six thick thumbs?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

You'd think that with our technology that caps would be BETTER than they
used to be..... instead they're junk. If they want to keep putting
these foreign made junk caps in our electronics, maybe everyone should
stop buying the crap until they begin using good caps. I'm sure they
can make good ones......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes old technology was easy on caps, especially a simple filter cap
from a big old analog power supply. Today's tiny switching power
supplies push caps to their limit. Sure they could use different style
caps, maybe mylar would last longer, at about 50 times the price and 100
times the size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:22:43 -0400, wrote:

[...]

That sort of explains my point about the old electronics still working.
Particularly when the old vacuum tube stuff produced a lot more heat
around the caps. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, all those old
caps were made in the USA. Sprague, and Mallory come to mind as the top
brand names from that era. Maybe if America started making electronics
including the components, we would once again have reliable equipment.
That old stuff was made to last, but these days is made to generate a
fast dollar and create lots of pollution during the discard and trash
phase. Whatever happened to "American pride". There is not one fully
made in America electronic item made these days and I hear it's the same
with cars. Even American made cars have parts made all over the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect that the wear items for an electronic ballast will be the
electrolytic caps,as they are in other power supplies and electronic
circuits.

Nothing like good old planned obsolescence. How much would it really
cost the manufacturers to substitute electrolytic caps with somewhat
higher power ratings? I'd gladly pay an additional $0.20 - $0.50 per CFL
or fixture for substantially longer mean time before failure.

Regardless of how good you make the electronics, the fluorescent tube
gradually loses efficiency. The plasma inside the tube will cause
parts of the electrodes to "sputter" off. At the minimum this will
damage the phosphor. There is a "getter" effect whereby the sputtered
metal can trap some of the Hg.

Just like in the old Model T Fords, good design is to make all the parts
so that they reach economic end of life at about the same time.

Within the last 2 or 3 years, the CFLs have become MUCH better. I have
them all through the house and I might replace ONE CFL each month.
Replacement just isn't much of an issue anymore. I use two as "night
lights" where they burn 24/7.

That said, the LEDs are gradually coming into their own. Some of the
earlier consumer LED had a very short life but most seem OK today. One
lamp "fogged up" because, I suspect, a poor choice of plastics in the
construction.

White LEDs are actually fluorescent devices with a UV LED causing the
phosphor to glow. My understanding is that the phosphors are slowly
damaged by the UV light and lose efficiency. Almost all LEDs still use
resister ballast.

When & if "they" throw electronics into LED lamps, the electronics would
have to be an order of magnitude more reliable than that used for CFLs
simply because the LED itself lasts at least an order of magnitude
longer that an Hg based fluorescent tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2012 23:45:18 -0400, John Gilmer
wrote:

[...]

Cheap crap uses resistors - good stuff uses constant current source IC
devices

When & if "they" throw electronics into LED lamps, the electronics would
have to be an order of magnitude more reliable than that used for CFLs
simply because the LED itself lasts at least an order of magnitude
longer that an Hg based fluorescent tube.

The single chip LED drivers are VERY reliable. And quite cheap too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2012 02:37:31 +0000 (UTC), gregz

[...]

Several years back I noticed that the tubes in my newer 48" fixtures
were burning out fairly fast, like within a year or two. Googling for
info at the time (at least 5 years ago now) I found that the life
expectancy for the tubes when used in electronic ballasted fixtures
was less then half the expected life when used in magnetic ballasted
fixtures. I replaced those "new" fixtures with mag ballasted new ones
and started getting my usual 3 to 5 years of life again. I also
noticed that in our commercial building all the ballast for the
fixtures continues to be mag ballast, not the electronic crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
news
[...]

Your data may be correct, but the conclusion is not. Fluorescent lamps
experience the longest life possible on electronic ballasts -- and, yes,
it's just certain ballasts. That's because optimized electronic ballasts
start the fluorescent lamps with a "starting scenario" where the proper
voltages and currents are applied in just the right way as the lamps start.
Fluorescent lamp life is highly dependent on the way lamps are started.

It's not uncommon these days for fluorescent lamps in commercial service on
optimized ballasts to last 40,000 - 50,000 hours.

Lighting fixtures, ballasts and lamps for home use have been "detuned" so
that lamp and ballast life may very well be short. That was done in the
name of energy savings, but there's no excuse for it since it increases
costs for home owners and makes the product less sustainable. The solution,
however, is simple. Buy your lamps and ballasts from electrical
distributors (like Grainger and others who sell on line) and use commercial
rated products. Stay away from the junk sold as "residential".

Electromagnetically-ballasted fluorescent systems are about 30% less
efficient than electronically-ballasted systems. You may get longer lamp
life, but you are paying for more energy to get it.

Tomsic

Electronic ballasts for fluorescents - wattages and pin connections [email protected] UK diy 2 November 11th 10 10:53 PM
Modern Electronic Education Mike S[_2_] Electronics Repair 14 July 12th 08 06:26 PM
occupancy sensor and electronic ballasts. [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 6th 07 11:57 PM
Electronic ballasts John Rumm UK diy 3 September 23rd 06 12:29 AM
Shop lighting: magnetic or electronic ballasts? Brian Elfert Woodworking 31 April 3rd 05 07:47 PM