Old May 5th 12, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you transport a Washing machine on its side?

We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not
upright in my wife Vue.

Old May 5th 12, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 5 May 2012 12:12:56 -0400, "Cliff H" wrote:

We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock
that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but
not
upright in my wife Vue.

I have never heard that you couldn't move a washer on it's side. The
issue would be further "scratching and denting" it.

It just seems like the drums are I don't know more flexible in their mounts
these days. Also this would be a top load.

And getting into the basement is going to scratch it up more than
transporting it.

Old May 5th 12, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:12*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not
upright in my wife Vue.

Call the manufacturer and ask them.

Depending on how good a deal it is, you might be able to rent a
trailer, like an landscaping trailer, for a few hours at a fairly
cheap rate.

I once rented a landscaping trailer for something like $30 to bring
home a "last year's model" lawn tractor. We got over $250 off the list
price, so the $30 didn't hurt too much.
Old May 5th 12, 05:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2012 12:12 PM, Cliff H wrote:
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not
upright in my wife Vue.

You *might* damage the suspension mechanism or tub if you transport it
on its side. How lucky do you feel?

Doesn't McLowes Depot offer free delivery?

Old May 5th 12, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff H" wrote in message
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock
that you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock
for upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but
not upright in my wife Vue.

ASK where you purchase it. WW

Old May 5th 12, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/5/2012 12:16 PM, WW wrote:
"Cliff wrote in message

ASK where you purchase it. WW

+1

It'll say clearly on the packing/in the installation guide...

Old May 5th 12, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 May 2012 12:12:56 -0400, "Cliff H" wrote:

what about no lock transported on it side.

Open the washer door, pull the drum to one side, and secure it with
duct tape. Best I can think of.

Does the drum have springs underneath?
Old May 5th 12, 08:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:57*pm, surfin' savant wrote:
On 5/5/2012 12:12 PM, Cliff H wrote:

We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not
upright in my wife Vue.

You *might* damage the suspension mechanism or tub if you transport it
on its side. *How lucky do you feel?

Doesn't McLowes Depot offer free delivery?

Why would McLowes Depot deliver a washer bought at Sears for free?
Old May 5th 12, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

As stated, call the manufacturer and ask, to be sure. .....And ask
them why.

I've always understood, though I've never known for sure, there's some
sort of thick oil reservoir (or something), built in, and if turned to
the side for a long period, this reservoir oil will screw up,
somehow. Turning it on the side for a short time, is somewhat okay,
but once upright, again, you have to let the oil settle again, in its
"proper place", before using the machine... allow a day or so before
use. For long term side position, it takes a lot longer for the oil
to settle/return properly, hence allow a longer period before use.

I've understood this applies to refrigerators, also.

Again, I don't know if this is so, for sure. That's the way it was
explaind to me long ago, as to why you don't turn units on their
sides. Maybe this applied to much older machines, not today's
machines.

Sonny
Old May 5th 12, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 3:56*pm, Sonny wrote:
I've always understood, though I've never known for sure, there's some
sort of thick oil reservoir (or something), built in, and if turned to
the side for a long period, this reservoir oil will screw up,
somehow.

I don''t know that there isn't an issue with moving washers on their
sides, but the problem you are thinking about has to do with the oil
reservoir inside the sealed cooling system of a refrigerator. Washers
tend not to have those...

oil/grease on washing from the washing machine Dave UK diy 7 January 10th 11 05:15 PM
Washing machine.... kev007 UK diy 7 December 14th 06 09:13 AM
Can I transport an air compressor on its side? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 6 May 29th 06 04:48 PM
moving washing machine to opposite side of wall Buzz Home Repair 6 December 28th 04 02:26 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM