DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Briggs and Stratton Wiring Problem? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/339883-briggs-stratton-wiring-problem.html)

Roanin May 5th 12 03:22 PM

Briggs and Stratton Wiring Problem?

When I plug in the wire connector that goes to the Stator on my 16HP John
Deere Sabre Lawn Tractor, the connector gets real hot to the point of
smoking. It appears there is a diode in the wire right after the connector.
this connector has two wires one of which I think is for powering the
headlights, the other has a diode in the line.
If I leave the plug disconnected, the tractor runs and operates , however, I
suspect
the battery will soon go dead. Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it?
Replace the diode?
new stator?

Thanks,

Ken[_6_] May 5th 12 05:25 PM

Roanin wrote:
When I plug in the wire connector that goes to the Stator on my 16HP John
Deere Sabre Lawn Tractor, the connector gets real hot to the point of
smoking. It appears there is a diode in the wire right after the connector.
this connector has two wires one of which I think is for powering the
headlights, the other has a diode in the line.
If I leave the plug disconnected, the tractor runs and operates , however, I
suspect
the battery will soon go dead. Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it?
Replace the diode?
new stator?

Thanks,

Have you checked to see if the battery is OK? Is the diode still OK?
I would think the diode might be for charging the battery.

Dave M.[_2_] May 5th 12 05:40 PM

Briggs and Stratton Wiring Problem?

Roanin,

If the connector is getting hot then I'd suspect the connector is
failing. Does the diode get hot? Have you measured the DC resistance through
each wire going to the connector? Here's a discussion of engine
measurements.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...eplacement.pdf

Dave M.

Roanin May 6th 12 05:54 AM

Dave M. wrote:
Roanin,

If the connector is getting hot then I'd suspect the connector is
failing. Does the diode get hot? Have you measured the DC resistance
through each wire going to the connector? Here's a discussion of
engine measurements.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...eplacement.pdf

Dave M.

Checked the diode and it is shorted. Will replace it tomorrow, do some more
tests and report back.

Roanin May 6th 12 10:19 PM

"Roanin" wrote in message

Dave M. wrote:
Roanin,

If the connector is getting hot then I'd suspect the connector is
failing. Does the diode get hot? Have you measured the DC resistance
through each wire going to the connector? Here's a discussion of
engine measurements.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...eplacement.pdf

Dave M.

Checked the diode and it is shorted. Will replace it tomorrow, do some
more tests and report back.

FYI

Checked the stator and it was OK. Replaced the diode with another one and
all is working fine now.

Now I wonder why the diode shorted out in the first place?