Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean tile grout lines

My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them unsightly
unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no crumbling).

While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile grout
lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2012 3:49 PM, walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).

While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Thanks

I use a small brush, bleach right out of the bottle and elbow grease.
Worked like a charm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" gonjah.net wrote in message
net...
On 4/8/2012 3:49 PM, walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).

While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Thanks

I use a small brush, bleach right out of the bottle and elbow grease.
Worked like a charm.

Thank you
What kind of brush did you use? Fiber, Brass, Stainless Steel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2012 5:21 PM, walter wrote:

"gonjah" gonjah.net wrote in message
net...
On 4/8/2012 3:49 PM, walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).

While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Thanks

I use a small brush, bleach right out of the bottle and elbow grease.
Worked like a charm.

Thank you
What kind of brush did you use? Fiber, Brass, Stainless Steel?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/b...hes-54475.html

The nylon bristle one. I did most of my house and it took 2 brushes but
I could have used 3. About 800 sf (?)

I wouldn't use the others because they may discolor the grout. You have
to be careful. Don't use a green scratch pad. It'll turn the grout green.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5057/5...8cece2a1_z.jpg

You might want to do a small area first to see if it causes any
discoloration. My grout is off-white so the bleach brightened it up
nicely. Wife was very impressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
"gonjah" gonjah.net wrote in message
net...
On 4/8/2012 3:49 PM, walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).

While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Thanks

I use a small brush, bleach right out of the bottle and elbow grease.
Worked like a charm.

Thank you
What kind of brush did you use? Fiber, Brass, Stainless Steel?

I would not recommend any metal brushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Also, re-seal the grout after it has dried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's probably
just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to coloring outside the
lines), but if all else fails...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2012 8:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:
walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's probably
just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to coloring outside the
lines), but if all else fails...

I thought about that but didn't want to make a mess. Sure would have
been easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:23:04 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has
accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's probably
just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to coloring outside the
lines), but if all else fails...

I can't speak from experience and I agree it seems easier than on your
knees but I question whether ...1-the overspray might cause other
damages...2-the high water pressure might break out some grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's
probably just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to
coloring outside the lines), but if all else fails...

three words......step away from the pressure washer......okay, six
wordsg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bleach can work, and if you could mix in some googone to help with
releasing some dirt and oil, that will help, but only a little bit.
Homedepot sells a grout scrubbing brush that'll keep you off your
hands and knees. It would also be good if you have a shop vac to
clean up all the slurry that will be on the floor. Don't forget to
get a face mask because those fumes can be awful. The outcome of your
hard work can only be determined by the amount of neglect your T&G has
recieved over the years. Def. seal your grout when you're done. We
only use solvant based sealers when working with man made tiles. The
labor will be intensive and time consuming, if all else fails, hire a
professional.

P.S. If grout is mixed and installed properly, it can withstand up to
2000+psi w/o harm. It's what my company uses on a daily basis.

GL!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's
probably just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to
coloring outside the lines), but if all else fails...

I thought about that but didn't want to make a mess. Sure would have
been easier.

Oh, a mess it will make. It sure did when I pressure-washed some interior
walls and ceiling!

But I'm living proof that cleaning the resultant mess was far easier than
the original plan on cleaning the walls and ceiling!

Again, if all else fails...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's
probably just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to
coloring outside the lines), but if all else fails...

Three words. Quick tile removal.

At least for one of my neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 9:45 AM, Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
walter wrote:
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines.

Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt
has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made them
unsightly unsightly. Mechanically, the grout is in good shape (no
crumbling).
While I am at it I would also like to recondition the 14" floor tile
grout lines. Would they require a different cleaning procedure?

What is the easiest way to restore the grout to like-new condition?

Two words: Pressure Washer.

No, I haven't tried it and I don't know that it will work. It's
probably just thinking outside the box (which is very similar to
coloring outside the lines), but if all else fails...

Three words. Quick tile removal.

At least for one of my neighbors.

11 words, a period followed by a little .

My pressure washer has a wand attachment to lower the PSI.

Regardless, who wants all that water IN your house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:

11 words, a period followed by a little .

My pressure washer has a wand attachment to lower the PSI.

Regardless, who wants all that water IN your house?

Duh!

It's certainly less work than taking the tiles outside to pressure wash the
grout.

Best ways to clean bathroom tile grout Steven L.[_2_] Home Repair 30 November 9th 10 12:35 PM
?Grout lines GrailKing Home Repair 5 October 18th 09 06:20 AM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 02:33 PM
Ceramic tile- for kitchen- grout question- easy clean KOS Home Repair 1 November 18th 07 11:01 PM
Sealing grout lines on ceramic tile floor Herb S Home Repair 7 November 26th 06 10:20 PM