Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What sort of outlet pressure can a sump-pump generate?

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 7:59:22 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 4/17/2019 5:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:12:58 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 4/17/2019 4:50 PM, trader_4 wrote:

IDK what well pumps you're looking at or where you get your prices,
but a basic well pump can be had for $125 too. What well pump costs $1500?
Even typical submersible costs less than half that. For something like
this, can probably find low cost or used ones on Ebay too.

Probably the cost of the snubber to fit a barrel...

Seems like overkill to me for the purpose, though, too...guess depends
on just how big the rain barrel really is--just a 55-gal drum wouldn't
go all that far or last long.

That's a very good point. Especially since they mentioned a sprinkler.
One head is typically 2 GPM. If you have 3, the barrel will last less
than 10 mins. And if you're trying to water turf, that amount is pointless.
Most of that will just get it wet, barely start to penetrate, most will be lost
to evaporation as it dries out, unless you can continue with another water
source. If you do the math, to put down 0.5" of water over any reasonable
area takes a lot of water. It's thousands of gallons to water my front lawn.

Indeed...well let's see

G2CF=@(g) 0.133681*g; % gal to cu-ft
A=20*20; G=55; % 20x20 sprinkler area, 55 gal drum
fnDPTH=@(h) A*12*h-G2CF(G); % vol over A of h less total volume G gal
d=fzero(fnDPTH,0.1) % how much can put on area A with 55 gal?

d =
0.0015

So, assuming a 20x20 sprinkler area, 55 gal would be about 1.5
thousandths of an inch...

Something there does not compute. Intuitively it sounds way off.
So, in my head, a barrel is ~ 3ft diameter? That gives an area of
~2.25 x 3 = 6 sq ft. Call it 5 sq ft. 20ftx20ft is 400 sq ft.
Which is 80 times the area of the barrel. The barrel is about 4 ft high,
50 inches. Reduce 50 inches of water height by a factor of 80 and
you have about 5/8" of water over 400 sq ft. Yes?

(Yes, it's solvable by simple straight algebra, but since we're
overthinking a problem here anyway, let's keep up the tradition...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2019 7:50 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 4/16/19 5:39 PM, wrote:
Hi! This is a bit of a long shot as I know this thread is old, but I
was just wondering if you ever figured out a solution for your rain
barrel?

I'm in a similar situation... My rain barrel just drains so SLOWLY.
I'd like to hook up a proper hose and nozzle, or even a sprinkler...

Did a sump pump work?

I was thinking of cutting open the lid of mine to make it removable,
that way I could completely submerged the pump.

I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!

Â*Â*Â*Â* Just how big is this rain barrel?Â*Â* A barrel in my world is
usually 55 gallons.
It's about waist high and maybe a couple feet in diameter.Â*Â*Â*Â* The
definition gets
a little loose after that.Â*Â* The words tank and barrel are sometimes used
Â*interchangeably.

And to beat the dead horse even deader, Harbor Freight has a shallow
well pump for $160 at
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-s...gph-63407.html.

Also, as to regular sump pumps, I have an on-top-of-the-basement-floor
sump tank that takes water from a sink in the basement. I used an old
sump pump to pump the water up about 9' and dump it outside. It goes
out through a 1" PVC pipe and comes out with considerable pressure. But
I really don't know any specifics of the pump, like the max head that it
can pump. If the pump's max head lift is 10', that would calculate down
to about 4 psi at the pump. Most are higher than 10'. If it were 20',
the pressure would be about 8 psi at the pump.

And 3rdly, an RV pump might work for this dead horse. There are several
pumps at http://goldmine-elec-products.com/ that could work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/19 5:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

Which is an example of why I questioned looking at sump pumps. The OP
said watering including a sprinkler. Typical sprinkler is expecting
~50 PSI.

And 3rdly, an RV pump might work for this dead horse. There are several
pumps at http://goldmine-elec-products.com/ that could work.

Not likely to work for a sprinkler IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/19 5:39 PM, wrote:
Hi! This is a bit of a long shot as I know this thread is old, but I was just wondering if you ever figured out a solution for your rain barrel?

I'm in a similar situation... My rain barrel just drains so SLOWLY. I'd like to hook up a proper hose and nozzle, or even a sprinkler...

Did a sump pump work?

I was thinking of cutting open the lid of mine to make it removable, that way I could completely submerged the pump.

I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Just how big is this rain barrel?Â*Â* A barrel in my world is usually 55 gallons.
It's about waist high and maybe a couple feet in diameter. The definition gets
a little loose after that.Â*Â* The words tank and barrel are sometimes used
Â*Â*interchangeably.

And to beat the dead horse even deader, Harbor Freight has a shallow well pump for $160 at
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-s...gph-63407.html.

Also, as to regular sump pumps, I have an on-top-of-the-basement-floor sump tank that takes water from a sink in the basement.Â* I used an old sump pump to pump the water up about 9' and dump it outside.Â* It goes out through a 1" PVC pipe and comes out
with considerable pressure.Â* But I really don't know any specifics of the pump, like the max head that it can pump.Â* If the pump's max head lift is 10', that would calculate down to about 4 psi at the pump.Â* Most are higher than 10'.Â* If it were 20', the
pressure would be about 8 psi at the pump.

And 3rdly, an RV pump might work for this dead horse.Â* There are several pumps at http://goldmine-elec-products.com/ that could work.

Prolly just another drive-by question from the homo-click-bait-hub