Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

I have spoken with several HVAC contractors regarding replacement of my
old Lennox central air conditioning system. All of them are Lennox
dealers except one who also carries Trane products.

The dealer who also carries Trane was trying to switch me from my
original Lennox preference, stating that the Trane coils, which are 100%
aluminum, rather than the Lennox coils, which use aluminum fins and
copper tubing, provide a better, longer lasting design.

He felt that Trane was superior in other ways also, since they used
"composite plastics" in the outdoor condensing unit case rather than
steel to ensure that no corrosion or rusting would occur.

The basic claim was that Trane, using aluminum for all of the
refrigeration loop, had a longer life expectancy that Lennox, given the
newer Puron refrigerant.

Does anyone have any experience with Trane, and is there any science to
support this type of claim or any other prior experience to say that
Trane is somehow better?

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 8:47*am, Smarty wrote:
[...]

When I was replacing mine a year ago I looked at Consumer Reports and
other sources. My conclusion was there wasn't any significant
difference
in the trouble history among the common brands. I think Goodman had
more
problems some years back. Some folks still don't like them.
It looked to me like you're paying a lot more for the name in a Trane
versus say a Rheem. When I looked at the data, Rheem had less
repair problems than the top name brands, but it wasn't enough to
be statistically significant,

As to the reliability of copper, two points. The system I replaced
was
a 27 year old Ruud. It was still running and never had a service
issue
other than needing to put in a hard start kit about 12 years into it's
service. So copper obviously lasts.

Second, if copper is the source of problems, ask the installer what
they are going to use for a line set. The line sets are all copper,
so you're going to have a lot more copper in the system from that
than from the coils. I would suspect that Trane's decision to use
all aluminum is based on something else. Look up the current
price of raw copper versus aluminum.

One thing that everyone should agree on is that you are far better
off getting what is perceived as a lesser brand that is installed
correctly than a Trane that is installed incorrectly. A simple
exampe is do they flow nitrogen when doing the brazing? A
half-assed installer can save and skip that. The result is you
have crud form inside the lines that leads to failure down the
road. Another
thing to find out, are they replacing your line set or re-using
the old one? IMO, for the couple hundred bucks, it's worth
going with new, but again, installers can cut corners. If
you do re-use them, they have to be properly flushed. Those
are examples of where you can get screwed and the typical
homeowner would never know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been my experience that copper is a harder metal, and much easier to
work with, in terms of soldering or brazing. I've not tried aluminum, I'd
just expect it to melt out from under.

With no data except my gut hunch, I'd not put aluminum unit in my own home.
Until it had been on the market for several years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 5:47*am, Smarty wrote:
[...]

GOOD QUESTION!

How about doing what a friend of mine did when he went to purchase
something he didn't know anything about - insurance. He set up
appointments with several of the sales people ALL FOR THE SAME EXACT
TIME got them into one room and asked the question, "Why should I buy
yours and not theirs?" and turned them loose on each other to watch
and listen. He said that within 20 minutes he learned ptifalls NEVER
mentioned by any insurance agent/company what to buy and what NOT to
buy, He said best education he ever went through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's been my experience that copper is a harder metal, and much easier to
work with, in terms of soldering or brazing. I've not tried aluminum, I'd
just expect it to melt out from under.

With no data except my gut hunch, I'd not put aluminum unit in my own home.
Until it had been on the market for several years.

It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.

All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2012 8:47 AM, Smarty wrote:
[...]

As the original poster of this question, I am very sorry to see not a
single reply............

This newsgroup really has become quite pathetic over the years, thanks
to the combined efforts of those who think it deserves to be a place to
discuss everything BUT home repair topics.

To the trolls who like to post about getting their cock caught in a
carpet stretcher, to harry who insists on rambling about all things
political to all the other folks who seem to think this is the right
place to show their skills in endless threads about nonsense, I say a
big **** YOU as you have effectively weakened the value of a very useful
forum and made it into a garbage pile.

Maybe some new forum will arise where people with home repair issues
won't be surrounded by these huge message turds which offer nothing of
value to the average home repair person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's been my experience that copper is a harder metal, and much easier to
work with, in terms of soldering or brazing. I've not tried aluminum, I'd
just expect it to melt out from under.

With no data except my gut hunch, I'd not put aluminum unit in my own home.
Until it had been on the market for several years.

It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.

All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

Thanks Ed for your reply and information. I just noticed that you have
taken the time to provide useful and helpful information which I
appreciate very much, and I am going to go with the copper / Lennox
approach. My very limited experience working with aluminum leads me to
the same conclusion you state and copper seems like the better choice. I
am guessing that aluminum is becoming popular more as a result of rising
copper costs than other, technical reasons.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You didn't see my post?

Thinking about it some more, well, I have read a bit about repairing
aluminum, and it's a lot harder than repairing copper tubing. For that
reason (as well as what I mentioned earlier), I'd avoid the aluminum unit.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smarty" wrote in message

As the original poster of this question, I am very sorry to see not a
single reply............

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't think you saw what I wrote.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
[...]

I see several replies. Don't let the door hit you......

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote:

[...]

For reasons unknown, your prior post did not show up but I do appreciate your reply now that I have read it. My gut reaction closely follows your advice and opinion, and I am committed to copper for this next a/c unit.

Tonight I did find this article (see link below) from a company which
apparently offers (only) aluminum and not copper heat exchangers /
coils, and they offer claims that aluminum is superior, but I am not
convinced. If they offered both and showed the relative benefits of
each, I might find it more convincing.

I guess I am both too old and also too old-fashion to get very excited
about an all aluminum solution. Since Trane is the only A/C manufacturer
using it as far as I know, I have to believe it is not the obviously
better solution, especially given the relative costs of copper versus
aluminum.

Thanks again for replying.

http://www.hydro.com/en/Subsites/Hyd...um-and-copper/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:52:41 -0400, Smarty wrote:

Tonight I did find this article (see link below) from a company which
apparently offers (only) aluminum and not copper heat exchangers /
coils, and they offer claims that aluminum is superior, but I am not
convinced. If they offered both and showed the relative benefits of
each, I might find it more convincing.

I guess I am both too old and also too old-fashion to get very excited
about an all aluminum solution. Since Trane is the only A/C manufacturer
using it as far as I know, I have to believe it is not the obviously
better solution, especially given the relative costs of copper versus
aluminum.

Thanks again for replying.

http://www.hydro.com/en/Subsites/Hyd...um-and-copper/

This, IMO, is the most important line of the story:
"Thus, together with the cost savings of replacing copper with
aluminium, the accumulated benefits of switching to all-aluminium heat
exchangers are considerable."

It about the money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 7:04*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Smarty wrote:
[...]

I see several replies. Don't let the door hit you......- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, exactly. He got replies from 4 different people
and he's bitching?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 05:50:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

It's always about the money, but saying that doesn't tell you much.
Silver is a better conductor than copper.
I don't have a Trane system, but I wouldn't avoid one because it uses
aluminum coils.
Trane markets their Spine-fin aluminum coils as a selling point.
They've been selling them for outdoor units since 1968.
The coils are only one part of a system.
I don't know the cost difference between the manufacturers.
I would grill some *good* HVAC guys to find out about his.
You don't want somebody selling you a crap system with a lousy
compressor and inefficient operation because he brags
"This unit has copper coils." BFD.

In this thread it's said aluminum heat exchanger manufacturing cost
eats up the savings vs using copper.
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=139016
But that thread is from 2007, when copper prices were lower.

Here "something" more. Probably all marketing BS.
http://www.sapagroup.com/pages/26202...hite_paper.pdf

http://www.alcoil.net/applications.htm

Anyway, there are SEER ratings, and HVAC guys who have long experience
with this.
Whether it's aluminum or copper is just one thing to consider.
My furnace and central air is Rheem.
Except for getting the main board replaced, it's all worked fine for
13 years.
Why do I have a Rheem?
Because my brother was a GC then, needed the work, and had a HVAC
installer sub who needed work. They decided I got Rheem..
Maybe I could have done better on the cost by shopping, maybe not.
But hey. what goes around comes around.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2012 9:14 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 05:50:25 -0400, Ed wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:52:41 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ed and Vic for your replies and comments. I agree with the basic motivation being financial, but really have no good way to compare reliability and failure rates in any other meaningful way. Consumer Reports seems to be silent on the whole matter of central A/C reliability. And even if they published historical data, the move to Purson and these much higher pressures may change the game entirely in terms of who has the better components in the long term.

Like most things, it will be a bit of a coin toss in the final analysis,
but I wanted to see if this whole aluminum versus copper thing was a
"red herring" thrown out by a dealer whose profit potential or other
motives makes him sell both Lennox and Trane, and then recommend Trane
for this specific reason of aluminum coils.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 06:04:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 1, 7:04Â*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Smarty wrote:
[...]

He probably didn't see any from google groups.
They went into limboland until today.
Did for me anyway.
A bunch of 3-4 day old posts just appeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Smarty , Shep wrote:
nobody wrote:

Thanks Ed for your reply and information. I just noticed that you have
taken the time to provide useful and helpful information which I
appreciate very much, and I am going to go with the copper / Lennox
approach. My very limited experience working with aluminum leads me to
the same conclusion you state and copper seems like the better choice. I
am guessing that aluminum is becoming popular more as a result of rising
copper costs than other, technical reasons.
Thanks again.

I did a little research, and it seems formaldehyde forms formic acid on
copper coils. Since the SEER minimum increase to 13, manufacturers started
making copper coils even thinner, which leads to faster corrosion and
holes caused by formic acid. Aluminum coils are not susceptible to this
deterioration and holes from formic acid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Smarty , mangino wrote:
nobody wrote:

[...]

My Carrier air conditioning units are almost 9 years old and the copper
evaporator coils are totally rusted. I have an air conditioning guy that I
totally trust and he told me something interesting. He said that Carrier
knows that there are issues with the coils rusting out prematurely.
Carrier use to have all aluminum coils and aluminum never rusts. Carrier
and other manufacturers realized if they switched to copper coils their
customers would have to replace their coils approximately every 6 to 8
years (10 years if you were lucky). So it all comes down to what's called
"Planned Obsolescence" and you see it practiced with almost everything you
buy these days. It just puts more money back in the pockets of the
manufacturer and repair industry.

He also told me that Carrier and others are starting to bring back
aluminum because of the backlash from customers. I am now getting aluminum
coils installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a good friend from the 1970s who taught HVAC around here highly recommends goodman. they use standard parts that are commonly availble from many sources.

unlike trane and others that use OEM parts with no alternate suppliers, so they decide when a model is obsolete. they just quit supplying parts.

my goodman is working fine its 8 or 10 years old and came with a great warranty
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Seems kind of odd that Carrier would switch to copper from aluminum
on the theory of making some more money. If your evaporator goes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2015 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Seems kind of odd that Carrier would switch to copper from aluminum
on the theory of making some more money. If your evaporator goes
at 8 years, how many customers are going to go with another Carrier
or even an evaporator replacement? At that point, most people are
going to get a new system and it likely wouldn't be Carrier. Also
given the cost delta between copper and aluminum, I find it hard
to believe it's even true that Carrier went back to copper coils,
unless there is some other valid reason for it.

Things have probably changes since I worked for a company that made
coils. Back then, they were copper and full aluminum was just starting
to be made by a couple of companies. The only reason they changed was
cost.

We had been making copper coils for many years and it would have been
costly to change over with all the equipment involved and we did not
make large quantities of a given size like Carrier. We did specialties
from 6" x 6" to 4' x 20' For tubing we used copper, brass, cupro-nickle
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4 , mangino wrote:
trader4 wrote:

Seems kind of odd that Carrier would switch to copper from aluminum
on the theory of making some more money. If your evaporator goes
at 8 years, how many customers are going to go with another Carrier
or even an evaporator replacement? At that point, most people are
going to get a new system and it likely wouldn't be Carrier. Also
given the cost delta between copper and aluminum, I find it hard
to believe it's even true that Carrier went back to copper coils,
unless there is some other valid reason for it.

Yes there is another valid reason for the switch to aluminum (in addition
to planned obsolence) and it's called Formicary Corrosion. You can get the
FACTS by reading the industry research report containing scientific
studies and analysis going into the details of aluminum versus copper.
These are details you won't get from your air conditioning company.

Here's the link :
http://www.conditionedairsolutions.c...1-20345-25.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2015 12:44 PM, mangino wrote:

Yes there is another valid reason for the switch to aluminum (in addition
to planned obsolence) and it's called Formicary Corrosion. You can get the
FACTS by reading the industry research report containing scientific
studies and analysis going into the details of aluminum versus copper.
These are details you won't get from your air conditioning company.
Here's the link :
http://www.conditionedairsolutions.c...1-20345-25.pdf

While I found the link interesting, how do you expect us to continue a
discussion when you mess up a lot of good arguments with FACTS?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 4:21:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/19/2015 12:44 PM, mangino wrote:

Yes there is another valid reason for the switch to aluminum (in addition
to planned obsolence) and it's called Formicary Corrosion. You can get the
FACTS by reading the industry research report containing scientific
studies and analysis going into the details of aluminum versus copper.
These are details you won't get from your air conditioning company.
Here's the link :
http://www.conditionedairsolutions.c...1-20345-25.pdf

While I found the link interesting, how do you expect us to continue a
discussion when you mess up a lot of good arguments with FACTS?

The facts here would seem to be that the document he just provided
is exactly opposite to what he's claiming. He stated that Carrier
allegedly switched to copper coils from aluminum so that they would
fail faster. Yet the document says Carrier is using aluminum coils
because they are corrosion resistant and superior. I don't see them
saying they went back to copper..... So, I don't see what all the
fuss is about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/19/2015 12:44 PM, mangino wrote:

http://www.conditionedairsolutions.c...1-20345-25.pdf

While I found the link interesting, how do you expect us to continue a
discussion when you mess up a lot of good arguments with FACTS?

I am sure that there are enough posters here to sustain *any* argument, with
or without facts.

When I saw the word formicary (formica means ant in Italian) I decided to go
look it up to see if it was related to ants (or Formica - which people tell
me stands for "FORmerly MICArta). This is another site that describes the
problem and claims it can occur within two months after manufacture.

http://www.microchannelfacts.com/formicary-corrosion

Formicary corrosion is a type of corrosion also referred to by HVAC
contractors as "ant's nest" corrosion.

They say it can't be seen with the naked eye but I assume if any kind of
corrosion gets bad enough, it will become visible to normal vision.

Learn something new every day!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DCB DCB is offline

replying to mangino , DCB wrote:
mangino wrote:

[...]

LOL Copper does not RUST.... Hilarious

Posted to alt.home.repair

mangino wrote:

Yes there is another valid reason for the switch to aluminum (in addition

planned obsolence) and it's called Formicary Corrosion. You can get the

FACTS by
reading the industry research report containing scientific studies and

analysis
going into the details of aluminum versus copper. These are details you

won't
get from your air conditioning company.
Here's the link :

http://www.conditionedairsolutions.c...1-20345-25.pdf

So Silly, one it is difficulty to diagnose, two less that 10% of all AC
systems have been affected by Formicary Corrosion; and it is usually
caused by contaminants in the "sealed" system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DCB DCB is offline

replying to Robert Green , DCB wrote:
robert_green1963 wrote:

[...]

Formicary Corrosion can never been seen, it is the very definition of the
pin hole mesh; It is rare and is usually caused internally not externally
with the introduction of a acidic contaminant in the system.

Copper is tried an true, lasts for decades, provides 2X the heat exchange.
(it is the reason that ALL computer CPU cooling is COPPER)

Aluminum is cheaper and easier to bend; which is important because the
MFG's have to come up with creative solutions to make up for the reduced
heat transfer.

Additionally, copper is easier to repair and unless the Aluminum system
does not have copper anywhere it is more likely to see corrosion where
Aluminum touches copper then copper has of Formicary Corrosion

Cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

robert_green1963 wrote:

[...]

You'd be surprized how many CPU heat sinks have absolutely NO copper
in them. I've even got a pile of them tat a magnet will stick to -
not very well, being stainless steel of all things (very poor thermal
conductivity, but goot thermal mass - with heat pipes to stainless
steel fins, plus folded fins that appear to be aluminum (definitely
not copper) fused to the stainless plate.

These all came from P4 and Core Duo equipped Lenovo desktop units.

Most of the rest of my stask are extruded aliminum -I had a couple
copper ones from ancient Dell PCs (Inspiron 2400??)

Aluminum is cheaper and easier to bend; which is important because the
MFG's have to come up with creative solutions to make up for the reduced
heat transfer.

Additionally, copper is easier to repair and unless the Aluminum system
does not have copper anywhere it is more likely to see corrosion where
Aluminum touches copper then copper has of Formicary Corrosion

Cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have a huge box of heat sinks from computers that date back to the
60s through P4 class machines and they are all aluminum.
The only copper I have ever seen is in a WYSE "thin client" machine
and it is a short 6 gauge copper wire that connects the aluminum CPU
heat sink to a much larger aluminum heat sink next to it.

I've got a bunch of heat sinks/cooling fans for CPUs and some of them did
have a highly polished copper insert that sat right on the chip (with
thermal gunk - amazing how much of a difference that stuff makes!)

But by and large they were mostly huge junks of aluminum. There were also
sinks that had a bracket that allowed use of a slower, quieter (and harder
to plug with dirt) 80cm cooling fan suspended over the CPU. I bought a lot
of spares and then switched almost exclusively to tablet PC's I got from
Ebay. )-: Not sure what to do with all those spares and for that matter all
the SCSI cards, 10Mb NICs, Archive tape controllers (a whopping 250Mb of
backup tape - huge for its time), old modem cards, ISA controllers, EISA
controllers, SCSI cables (I, II and III) and a host of other stuff from days
gone by. Did I mention my wife says I am a hoarder?

(-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:56:58 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

My wife says I'm a hoarder and I threw most of THAT stuff out 5 years
ago!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:44:11 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I still have a stack of SCSI drives. I should plug them in and see
what I was doing way back in the 20th century. A couple date from the
day I retired in 1996 and have not spun since. These are the old
technology drives and I bet they will still work.

If you can find a buss slot to plug the Scsi controller into, and
drivers for the current OS, or a compatible SCSI controller for your
computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DCB DCB is offline

replying to Robert Green , DCB wrote:
robert_green1963 wrote:

wrote in message
stuff snipped
[...]

If you cut them open you will find that any decent heat sink for high
speed processors all have copper heat tubes and copper exchangers. They
can have aluminum fins but the heat exchange is copper, why? because
copper has 2x the thermal exchange of aluminum.

Also I find it interesting that the Carrier article is about evaporator
coils not condenser coils, yet its the condenser coils that are being
changed to aluminum while almost all of the evaporator coils remain copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 03:44:01 +0000, DCB
wrote:

replying to Robert Green , DCB wrote:
robert_green1963 wrote:

wrote in message
stuff snipped
[...]

Only heat sinks with heat pipes genereally have copper cores (because
they are a lot easier to braze and solder than aluminum)

I DO have a copper aftermarket heat sink I forgot about - and even IT
has a stainless steel thermal mass plate into which the4 heat pipes
are fitted. It's a "ZeroTherm" BTF95 (Butterfly) passive unit (no fan)
and also has a copper "transfer pad".

These tend to be used by the same geeks that buy "oxygen free" copper
speaker cables. The reviews tend to re-enforce my opinion - They dont
cool worth squat. (at $60 MSRP it does not outperform the OEM intel
aluminum heat sink)

Also I find it interesting that the Carrier article is about evaporator
coils not condenser coils, yet its the condenser coils that are being
changed to aluminum while almost all of the evaporator coils remain copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mj mj is offline

replying to Ed Pawlowski , mj wrote:
esp wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.
All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

I have a 3 year old Trane 4 ton unit. It has aluminum coil. It has been
serviced 9 times for slime on the coils. I have been told that if it had
some copper, like my two 1 1/2 ton units, I would not have this problem.
My repair company is trying something new-laying pieces of copper tubing
in the pan to try to stop the slime build up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.
All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

I have a 3 year old Trane 4 ton unit. It has aluminum coil. It has been
serviced 9 times for slime on the coils. I have been told that if it had
some copper, like my two 1 1/2 ton units, I would not have this problem.
My repair company is trying something new-laying pieces of copper tubing
in the pan to try to stop the slime build up.

--

Interesting. I know copper is used in boat bottom paint because it's
toxic to barnacles. Which leave one wondering how it's OK in copper
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 3:01 PM, trader_4 wrote:
Interesting. I know copper is used in boat bottom paint because it's
toxic to barnacles. Which leave one wondering how it's OK in copper
water pipe? I guess very little leaches out? But if that's the case,
how would having copper tubing in the coils kill slime? Zinc is used on
roofs with problems to keep algae from growing. If you drive around here,
you can see roofs where there is no algae on the roofs below flashings,
vents, etc that are made of zinc.

Science comes the full circle. Now they will
come out with lead pills to deal with copper
poisoning.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.
All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

I have a 3 year old Trane 4 ton unit. It has aluminum coil. It has been
serviced 9 times for slime on the coils. I have been told that if it had
some copper, like my two 1 1/2 ton units, I would not have this problem.
My repair company is trying something new-laying pieces of copper tubing
in the pan to try to stop the slime build up.

--

So here is an interesting take.

Whatever type of coil you have, water is the enemy.

Of course water will form from condensation when it is cooling.

So my take is that to reduce corrosion of the coil, set the blower to run all the time when you are using the AC.

This way when the compressor cycles off, the blower will continue to run and air dry the coil. You don't want the coil to sit there wet for no reason.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
eo eo is offline

replying to Smarty, eo wrote:
I think that Lenox is moving to aluminum at least for a while until new copper
coils with less problams are available. At least when the copper cil in my
new ( september 2015) slp98 system went bad with six leaks they put in an
aluminum coil

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ne-690615-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Avoid Trane as their outdoor condensing unit coils are made using a unique design called 'Spine-Fin' and are notorious for loading up with cottonwood fluff, spider silk, etc.

I have worked in the HVAC trade and would like to share some up-to-date facts about copper versus aluminum condensing units and evaporator coils.

1a) Money - Copper prices went out of control high when the Chinese economy boomed prior to the Great Recession of 2008. It only reasonable for U.S. manufacturers to anticipate future copper metal price spikes in considering potential future cost and potential copper shortages. Aluminum metal is plentiful, but uses a great deal of electrical energy to refine the ore.

Advantage aluminum.

1b) Aside from the cost of copper metal, aluminum coils are more difficult and costly to manufacture. This is in large measure because it is difficult to join aluminum tubes because of the thin layer of oxide that forms on aluminum. Copper is much easier to join and repair. New aluminum soldering alloys were developed over recent years that have improved the process of producing all-aluminum coils, although it is still remains difficult to repair an aluminum coil in the field.

Advantage copper.

2) Higher refrigerant pressures - New EPA mandated chlorine-free refrigerants replaced long time standard HCFC refrigerant R-22 in 2012. An example of a new refrigerant is Carrier's Puron (which is known in the trade as R-410a) which operates at higher pressure than R-22, so the tubing used in making new condensing and evaporator coils must have thicker walls to resist the higher pressure.

The new refrigerants heat-carrying ability, known as its enthalpy, fluid ounce for ounce, is about half that of R-22. Since about twice the mass flow is needed to move the same quantity of heat, larger coils are needed. Larger coils mean more metal used. A-coils in evaporators (at the furnace end) become N-coils to absorb the heat from the air stream, and condensers (found outdoors to move the heat into the air) must be much larger to handle double the flow
of refrigerant. EPA also mandated higher Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios for air conditioners and heat pumps, requiring these coils to be made larger still.

Advantage aluminum.

4) Corrosion - Copper coils are made with aluminum fins mounted in galvanized steel frames, which is a recipe for galvanic corrosion over time. Aluminum metal reacts with the oxygen in the air to produce a thin, but tough oxide coating that protects the underlying metal from corrosion. If the aluminum metal is scratched or scuffed, the protective oxide layer reforms immediately. Aluminum coils are all aluminum, and being homogeneous, do not suffer from galvanic corrosion the way three-metal copper coils do. The protection afforded by the oxide layer is not absolute; animal urine, like dogs sent marking or male cats spraying, and sea salt spray will destroy both copper and aluminum coils.

Advantage aluminum.

4a) Chinese Drywall, More Corrosion - References are made in this thread to Formicary Corrosion a.k.a. Ant Nest Corrosion. Formic acid is an organic acid produced by ants to signal each other, but many organic acids will cause this deep pitting corrosion in copper. Some thread entries blame ants, but not one entry has named the actual cause of most of the recent spate of damage to U.S. HVAC equipment - hydrogen sulfide off-gassed by impurities in imported Chinese drywall. Because of its protective oxide layer, aluminum does not react with hydrogen sulfide the way copper does.

Advantage aluminum.

5) Field serviceability - Repairing aluminum refrigeration tubing is much more challenging than repairing copper tubing. Copper can be heated all the way to cherry red glow without damage. It can be both brazed (temperature over 800 degrees F) or soldered (temperature below 800 degrees F). Aluminum heats up and as the temperature rises, without warning, melts onto a puddle.. When the temperature is tightly controlled, because of that thin, but tenacious layer of aluminum oxide mentioned earlier, solder or braze filler metal alloys have difficulty bonding to aluminum. Recently developed exotic and expensive fluxes are making field repair easier, but some technicians still refuse to even attempt a field repair on an aluminum coil, insisting on replacing it instead.

Advantage copper.

I think it is fair to say the future is all aluminum coils, both because of the cost savings in the cheaper metal, and continuing improvements in aluminum joining and repair techniques.

If you want your new A/C or heat pump investment to last as long as possible, for a few hundred dollars extra, ask you contractor if the make and model they are offering is available with a 'Coastal' or 'Sea-Side' option. Units with this option are made with their coils coated with a very thin, but completely corrosion resistant polymer, and are assembled using stainless steel screws and bolts. They are intended for use near the ocean, but are equally good at resisting corrosion caused by a range urban threats from acid raid to cat pee.