DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (justbusted) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/337562-need-advice-how-repair-kinked-75-plumbing-snake-justbusted.html)

Martin C. March 20th 12 04:00 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (justbusted)

Two questions I'd love advice on:
Q1: What am I doing wrong that my plumbing snake kinks all the time?
Q2: How can I repair the one I just broke in half today?

Here's a picture of some of the 75' of snake laid out on the concrete
after cleaning out the drain pipes today:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839276

Here's the kind of kink that I keep getting in the hose when I try to
rewind it back into the container:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839277

Here's where I broke the snake today trying to unkink the kink:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839281

Is there any way to repair this 75' snake or is it a goner?
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839283

In summary, I'm sure my technique is bad because I keep getting kinks in
the snake ... and ... when I unkink them ... I broke the snake.

Q1: What am I doing wrong?
Q2: How can I repair it?

ChairMan[_3_] March 20th 12 05:27 AM

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

My experience has been you can't unkink them. They are spring steel. I
just bought a replacement for mine that someone I lent it to got kinks
in.
Get your snake as close to the clean out as possible and feed it
slower. The more snake you have exposed between the clean out and the
base the more likely you are going to get kinks in it
JME

Larry Fishel March 20th 12 06:12 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

I don't know if this really helps or not, but the best advice I can
give is...get (or rent) a better snake.

I rented one a while back. It used a heavier "snake" than what you
have and a heavy, flexible "sleeve" attached to the front of the spool
that you can run down into the pipe to prevent kinking in the most
likely place. I'm never going to waste my time with anything lighter
again...

Martin C. March 20th 12 06:41 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake(just busted)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:12:55 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:

get (or rent) a better snake

The one I have cost about $400 which is about all I would be willing to
pay for a snake.

Still, I guess if I have to replace the entire 75 foot length, I might as
well try to see if they sell a thicker snake.

Has anyone ever replaced just the snake part of the 75' snake motorized
drum? Any advice where to buy it?

DD_BobK March 20th 12 08:58 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 19, 10:41*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:12:55 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:
get (or rent) a better snake

The one I have cost about $400 which is about all I would be willing to
pay for a snake.

Still, I guess if I have to replace the entire 75 foot length, I might as
well try to see if they sell a thicker snake.

Has anyone ever replaced just the snake part of the 75' snake motorized
drum? Any advice where to buy it?

http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Cobra 3/8" x 75' Replacement Cable
Item #: 100817 | Model #: LX-99112

Lowes

Martin C. March 20th 12 04:48 PM

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough
spots, then you lock down the screw, then you put it in forward (but it
can't move), then you unlock the screw and push forward again.

In the end, it looks like you turn the motor off and manually pull it
back.

In contrast, I had not been using the set screw (because it's way too
difficult and requires a wrench at all times); I had been using forward
continuously from the start to the 75 foot mark; and I had been using the
reverse to wind it back into the drum.

I guess THAT's why my 75-foot drain cleaning cable kinked!

Martin C. March 20th 12 05:03 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake(just busted)

UPDATE:
Apparently BrassCraft is Cobra.

I called Cobra customer support (800-835-2200) who explained that my
snaking technique was wrong, hence the kinks & broken snake.

Apparently Cobra doesn't sell the snakes directly because their customer
support said that I could pick up the 100-foot length at Lowes hardware
stores:

Lowes P/N 100817, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable
Cobra P/N 90441, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable

Cobra confirmed the 75 foot and 100 foot lengths will fit into the BC400
drum, which is apparently called the "40 Series" on the Cobra web site.

Cobra confirmed the technique is this:
1. Feed the snake as far as it will go
2. Then lock the thumbscrew (mine must be broken as there is no plastic)
3. Then put it on forward
4. Then unlock the thumbscrew & feed again & repeat as needed
5. Use reverse only momentarily to back out of tough spots
6. When done, hand feed back into the drum

So, lesson learned!

The reason it kinked, they said, was that I was doing it all wrong.

ChairMan[_3_] March 20th 12 06:18 PM

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

I'd get a 1/2" cable if you can, much less likely to kink than a 3/8"

DerbyDad03 March 20th 12 07:11 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 20, 11:48*am, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough
spots, then you lock down the screw, then you put it in forward (but it
can't move), then you unlock the screw and push forward again.

In the end, it looks like you turn the motor off and manually pull it
back.

In contrast, I had not been using the set screw (because it's way too
difficult and requires a wrench at all times); I had been using forward
continuously from the start to the 75 foot mark; and I had been using the
reverse to wind it back into the drum.

I guess THAT's why my 75-foot drain cleaning cable kinked!

hmmm...that's interesting.

I have rented 1/2" power snakes a number of times in the past few
years and have always run the machine in the forward position while
feeding it down the pipe and then running it in reverse while pulling
it out. I thought that that was how it was done.

I've never had a problem with kinking, although the cable has gotten a
bit wild when I've mistakenly left too much cable exposed between the
machine and the drain and the cable hits an obstruction. The cutter
stops and the rotating motion is confined to the exposed cable. I
always blame myself for that since it is easily preventable simply by
leaving less cable exposed. You just need to learn to lift your foot
as soon as things start to go bad. ;-)

I've tried pushing the cable by hand but trying to move 40 - 50 (up to
75) feet of cable without having the machine running in the forward
position is pretty hard work. With the machine in forward, the cable
just slowly walks down the drain on it's own. Why wouldn't I want it
to do that?

I've also tried pulling it back out without being in reverse and
that's just as hard. While the cable still needs to be pushed back
into the machine even while in reverse, it's much easier to do than
without the motor running.

Of course, it does make a mess as it throws black gunk around as it
spins. I build a tent with large pieces of cardboard to keep the spray
contained.

The video makes it look like a lot more work that it has to be.

Martin C. March 20th 12 07:21 PM

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:18:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

I'd get a 1/2" cable if you can, much less likely to kink than a 3/8"

Good idea. I called Cobra again (800-835-2200) to ask about the half-inch
cable.

They told me Lowes does not sell the half-inch cable but they sell the 75-
foot length for $187. They won't sell a longer length for the BC400
because the 75 foot length barely fits (most people apparently leave the
last few yards hanging out.)

Tangent: It must be like tent bags which I can never get the entire tent
back in no matter how neatly I try to pack it in.

I wonder ... since I use this BrassCraft (aka Cobra) BC400 power snake
only about once every three years ... if others can advise me with more
experience.

Do you guys generally plan on 75 feet or 100 feet of snaking when you
have a plumbing problem?

Note: 100 feet will get me halfway into the roadway, I think, from the
house anyway. I don't know where the roadway cleanout plug is (probably
buried in the lawn somewhere).

Martin C. March 20th 12 07:51 PM

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:11:36 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The video makes it look like a lot more work that it has to be.

I too found it unintuitive that the forward and reverse motor is only
used momentarily.

The thing the video skips, of course, is that if you lock the set screw
down, you can't feed it.

So, the video does this:
a) They push it as far as it will go
b) They lock the set screw
c) Somehow (magically?) they push it further as they start the motor

Seems to me the video'd approach skips a few thumbscrew locks and unlocks!

DerbyDad03 March 20th 12 08:06 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 20, 2:21*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
[...]

If your municipality is anything like mine, this is what I would do:

Call them and tell them your drain is clogged and that you believe
that you have snaked all of your portion with no relief, so you would
like them to come and snake *their* portion.

If this were my town, they would come out, locate the clean out and
then snake from the cleanout to the main sewer.

After that, you'd know exactly where the cleanout is and you'd know
how far out you need to snake to clear the part that you own.

What happened in my neighborhood about 5 years ago is that as our cast
iron pipes got older and older, the town was getting more and more
calls to snake our drains. Since the town was responsible for their
section of the drain, and because there were no cleanouts in our front
yards, they always had to come into our houses and snake from our
inside cleanouts all the way out to the street. Homeowners basically
had access to a free snaking service since the town couldn't get to
their section without snaking ours.

So about 5 years ago they dug up our yards, replaced their section of
cast with PVC and put in a cleanout. If you call them now, they simply
drop a camera down their clean out, check for a clog on the street
side and snake if required. If they don't see a clog, then the problem
must be back towards the house and we are on our own to clear it.

In my case, the roots enter the pipe at the junction between my cast
iron pipe and the PVC wye which connects connects my pipe to theirs
and to the clean out. By "law" this junction is on my side of the
cleanout, only accessible (read: clearable) from inside the house,
therefore it's my problem. I've been snaking it with a cutter head at
least once a year for the past 4 years but I just ordered a batch of
Root-X foaming weed root killer which I'm going to try in a few
weeks.

I have to wait 5 - 6 weeks after the last cutting to allow the roots
to grow back a bit and give the foam some "open ends" to poison.

I won't know if it works until at least a year goes by without any
slowdowns or partial blockages, usually signalled by a gurgling toilet
in the basement when an upstairs toilet is flushed. Once that happens,
I know that the roots are back and I'd better snake before the the
pipe gets completely blocked by something catching on the roots.

DerbyDad03 March 20th 12 08:13 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 20, 2:51*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:11:36 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The video makes it look like a lot more work that it has to be.

I too found it unintuitive that the forward and reverse motor is only
used momentarily.

The thing the video skips, of course, is that if you lock the set screw
down, you can't feed it.

So, the video does this:
a) They push it as far as it will go
b) They lock the set screw
c) Somehow (magically?) they push it further as they start the motor

Seems to me the video'd approach skips a few thumbscrew locks and unlocks!

Yeah, I replayed that part a few times and does seem a bit strange. I
seems that at one point the cable moves too far foward to have been
locked.

It looks just it does when I snake my drain, which as I said, I do
with the cable always unlocked. It really does just pull itself into
the drain, although it goes much faster if I help it along by pushing
as it is spinning.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] March 20th 12 11:04 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

Yow, that's some serious wisdom. Glad at least one gentle reader is willing
to share. Restores my faith in humanity.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Martin C." wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough

Larry Fishel March 21st 12 05:02 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 20, 1:41*am, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:12:55 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:
get (or rent) a better snake

The one I have cost about $400 which is about all I would be willing to
pay for a snake.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned renting. I paid about $50 for a day for a
pretty bulletproof snake with power feed (out and back). I haven't
seen one like it for sale, but I'm guessing I could rent one once a
year until I'm too old to use it, for what it would cost to buy...and
I don't have to store it.

DD_BobK March 21st 12 07:17 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Mar 20, 11:11*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:48*am, "Martin C."
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough
[...]

Some drain augers are power feed & power retract.
Some are meant to be hand feed & hand retracted.

It all depends on the model. My neighbor has a "Little General" ....
75 or 100' of 3/8" cable.
It's a hand feed / hand retract and even has a warning about running
in reverse.
I always wondered why it had a reverse if you weren't supposed to use
it?

My dad used to borrow a power feed & retract snake from work
but don't recall the make or model and I've never seen such a handy
unit.

cheers
Bob

Joseph De burgo February 25th 17 08:44 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

replying to Martin C., Joseph De burgo wrote:
Why. When I. Step on my footballer it does not stay on what could be whrong

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-689023-.htm

Deborah McGowen September 14th 17 05:14 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

replying to Martin C., Deborah McGowen wrote:
The snake will not whined back up

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-689023-.htm

bob haller September 14th 17 10:44 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

boy all of you must love hard dirty work:(

its far easier to do what I have been doing for over 20 years.............

i dump a 25 pound bag of rocksalt, into my basement washtub, then run the hottest water i can into the tub and mix with a shovel.

this kills the tree roots, but doesnt hurt the trees. i do this every spring right before the trees leaf out. then go out so no one uses any water for at least 8 hours,

works fast and no messy dealing with a snake. the last time i had my line snaked i had them run a camera thru the line, every joint in the terra cotta pippe had roots but one.

whatever rocksalt is left in the tub eventually dissolves giving lines a low dose follow up.

Wally[_14_] September 14th 17 11:00 AM

On 09/14/2017 04:44 AM, bob haller wrote:
boy all of you must love hard dirty work:(

its far easier to do what I have been doing for over 20 years.............

i dump a 25 pound bag of rocksalt, into my basement washtub, then run the hottest water i can into the tub and mix with a shovel.

this kills the tree roots, but doesnt hurt the trees. i do this every spring right before the trees leaf out. then go out so no one uses any water for at least 8 hours,

works fast and no messy dealing with a snake. the last time i had my line snaked i had them run a camera thru the line, every joint in the terra cotta pippe had roots but one.

whatever rocksalt is left in the tub eventually dissolves giving lines a low dose follow up.

Even easier to hire a tree service to remove trees near sewer line. No more root damage.

[email protected] September 15th 17 03:12 AM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 03:14:03 GMT, Deborah McGowen
m wrote:

replying to Martin C., Deborah McGowen wrote:
The snake will not whined back up

lookes like the snake should be moaning instead of whining?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= September 15th 17 08:51 PM

Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

Wayne Boatwright posted for all of us...

On Thu 14 Sep 2017 06:12:07p, told us...

m wrote:

replying to Martin C., Deborah McGowen wrote:
The snake will not whined back up lookes like the snake should be
moaning instead of whining?

That snake must be in pain. You should take it to a herpetologist!

snake eyes!!

--
Tekkie